PDA

View Full Version : Fliss Portrait

Napper
21st January 2008, 01:03 AM
First attempt at close up potrait style photography. Comments please!!!?

OlyFlyer
21st January 2008, 12:40 PM
First I must say, I am not a pro photographer, just a guy with 37 years of SLR experience, so the experts may not agree with me.

Sorry to say, but to me it is an OK image. Not a good one nor a bad one. My taste may be different from others, but I prefer when the model is looking at me, not dreaming away, looking out of the image, to the side. I would also like to see more of those beautiful eyes and her nice face, which means that unless it is intended for a hair style portrait, I would like to comb her hair to show more of her eyes and face.

The background is, I think not good at all. It seems like the black background is fixed at PP, the effects of Magick stick shows through already at this low size magnification. I would get a back drop of some kind, for example a large bed sheet. It would also cause some structure in the background, not flat as this one.

I think the light could also be improved if you had a window on one side, or if the flash was moved from the camera to the side and an umbrella was used. Alternatively if you have used more than one flash, or proper strobes. As it is, the light is flat, too flat for my taste. I would like to see more depth in the image.

I have also problems in finding the focus point. It seems that the image is a bit out of focus or there is a camera shake. I don't know if you had IS on or off and if this is hand held or tripod photo. For me, hand holding at that focal length and shutter speed is very difficult, if I want really sharp images without camera shake, I have to use at least 2x 1/focal length.

I am sorry, maybe I am too hard on you. I hope somebody else will add something and correct me if my observations are wrong.

dbutch
21st January 2008, 01:09 PM
Hi Napper

Have to agree with Oly, overall the lighting is flat and the background doesn't help. I wonder if you shifted the whole image over to the right of the frame, even maybe crop some of the hair it would work better, that way she would be looking across the frame rather than out of it! Personally I don't mind not having eye contact.

Cheers

Dave

E-P1 fan
21st January 2008, 04:08 PM
Napper, nice portrait but the background doesn't do much for the image.

Anyway to be positive - I love the attitude of the head and the light on the hair and skin. I reckon if she'd just looked towards the camera, or looked down - with her eyes only - it might enhance an already lovely pose.

Fantastic first attempt - well done

Invicta
21st January 2008, 08:37 PM
It looks like the protrait has been selected and cut out from a different picture as the edges look a little unnatural. If this is the case try a different selection method e.g. using channels to create a mask.

Hiding_Pup
11th February 2008, 10:41 AM
Agree, in the main part with some of the above comments, regarding the post-processing which is a little ham-fisted for my taste. If you have a couple of flashes, you can actually get this effect in-camera: the flashes make the subject so bright, but you expose for that brightness, at which point all ambient light becomes underexposed and black.

Alex Majoli is a master of this technique: check out his New York Marathon pictures, for instance, on the Magnum in Motion website:

http://inmotion.magnumphotos.com/essays/marathon06.aspx

Ellie
11th February 2008, 01:10 PM
I'd be happy enough if I'd taken a picture like this of our daughter, she usually puts her hands in front of her face.

Meogeo
11th February 2008, 01:32 PM
I'd be happy enough if I'd taken a picture like this of our daughter, she usually puts her hands in front of her face.

My youngest will not have his picture taken, we have photo's of him when he was younger and he is allways moaning about them being on display. :(