PDA

View Full Version : British summer, 2007

OlyFlyer
20th January 2008, 11:32 PM
Sunny, cloudy but dry.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa60/olyflyer/Travel/London/P7292471_1024.jpg

At least for the 10 days I spent there. Rain before, rain after. I know that...

Comments and critics are welcome.

shenstone
21st January 2008, 07:30 PM
Sunny, cloudy but dry.

At least for the 10 days I spent there. Rain before, rain after. I know that...

Comments and critics are welcome.

Now I'm not one to call a respected member of this forum a liar without potentially invoking the wrath of the entire membership, but just how much post processing did you put into that picture ????:D:D;)

Regards
Andy

Barr1e
21st January 2008, 07:40 PM
Now I'm not one to call a respected member of this forum a liar without potentially invoking the wrath of the entire membership, but just how much post processing did you put into that picture ????:D:D;)

Regards
Andy

Hi Andy -

Let me be a stirrer this evening - I don't think the contributor has stated he has not worked on the picture.

Regards. Barr1e

OlyFlyer
21st January 2008, 08:39 PM
Thank you for your comments. I am sorry, but the header says:

This is the e-group critique board. If you post a picture here it will be assumed that you are looking for comprehensive technical feedback - both good and bad, but always respectful. Only post pictures here if you can deal with potentially negative constructive criticism.

I think you are being too nice. I see at least four problems.

1. I should have removed the plane, seen as a tiny spot in the center, framed by the bridge. At this size, I find it disturbing.

2. The white in the top part of the bridge is blown out. I should try to improve that.

3. The image is slightly tilted to the right. Look at the vertical lines.

4. I should have zoomed out more to get more of the bridge and to get the cropped red buoy fully uncropped in the image, or I should have zoomed in more for the same reason and also to get more of the center part of the image instead of left/right.

The sharpness is good if I look at the full size image. So, what else? Just give it to me, please.

:confused:

Andrew Riddell
21st January 2008, 09:14 PM
A few comments (in no particular order):

1. I'd crop the right side very slightly to get rid of the tiny bit of red bus.

2. I wonder whether underexposure might have made the stonework more natural (yes, I know the bridge has suffered from the City's habit of blast-cleaning everything!) and this would help the blown whites.

3. The brown building behind the North (left) side of the bridge does little for the composition. I presume you shot from somewhere outside City Hall (known locally as the 'glass testicle'), but in composition terms you might have done better from the other side of the river. OK, I know you have to shoot from where you are, but next time....?

Bästa hälsningar!

Andrew

froeng
21st January 2008, 09:22 PM
Maybe I would try and crop a little bit from the left, so the bridge would be in the middle of the picture. I don't mind the brown building, but I think the "upswing" of the suspension cables is a bit distracting. Otherwise a very nice shot!
I like the whitebalance on this one. It was shot with an E-3, right? It's a very slight warm cast over it that usually makes the E-3 photos look very natural and rich in colours.
Just my opinion, though...

Best Regards

Frank

Barr1e
21st January 2008, 09:40 PM
Hi Andy -

Let me be a stirrer this evening - I don't think the contributor has stated he has not worked on the picture.

Regards. Barr1e

Whoops Barr1e -

Sometimes I forget to look where the post originated - this is one of those occasions.

Sorry Andy, I apologise.

Regards. Barr1e

shenstone
21st January 2008, 10:35 PM
Whoops Barr1e -

Sometimes I forget to look where the post originated - this is one of those occasions.

Sorry Andy, I apologise.

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e
No problem. Like you I think my response was a little on the sarcastic with an intended reference to it not being possible to finding a nice day in the UK last year.

Olyflyer.

I agree with the other responses re blown lights and the result is in my opinion an image that looks a little flat because of them. However I have to admit that for me that's such a strong preference that I almost entirely go for -.5 or -1 in similar situations or put a polarizer on and possibly overcook shadows somewhat at times.

Re the suspension lines I'd have liked to see either a slightly closer crop or slightly wider to balance the symmetry either would have been stronger IMO. I can see a London bus just to the right and think that missing it out would have been better than leaving it in unless you went well wider so it was not on the edge

The plane you mention is a nicety at websize, but would have been very distraction seen larger

Regards
Andy