PDA

View Full Version : Photography course from...

Ian
15th September 2009, 03:53 PM
..me, or one of my colleagues, here in sunny Hemel Hempstead?

Here at our office location in Hemel Hempstead, we have access to a networked 14 PC digital classroom. Each workstation has Photoshop installed. We also have some photogenic scenery by the Grand Union Canal, just a hundred yards from our front door.

I'm trying to gauge the potential for running one-day digital photography courses using both the classroom resources and our surroundings.

The courses would be limited to a maximum of 14 attendees per day, and probably a minimum of 10, in order to make it cost-effective.

We'd offer a mixture of PC-based course work, and a photo tour around the immediate locality. Pictures taken in the day could then be evaluated back in the classroom.

Proposed subjects could be:

An introduction to digital photography for absolute beginners.
From compact camera to DSLR, making the jump.
Colour management, and printing.

I'm interested to hear of any other suggestions too.

Courses will be presented by myself or a guest presenter, but all of us will have decades worth of photographic experience of knowledge.

Course materials will be supplied and there will be time for 1-to-1 assistance during the day.

Lunch would be included and we have plenty of parking (we're close to the M25 and M1), as well as a London Euston line rail station just across the road. There is even a Holiday Inn Express hotel next door.

If you would be interested in attending one of these course, please let me know. Of course I realise this may only be relevant to people in London or the home counties, apologies to all our other patrons who live further away!

Ian

StephenL
15th September 2009, 04:06 PM
Although I'm too far away to partake, I welcome this and wish you success. If it takes off, I hope you will consider spreading your wings?

theMusicMan
15th September 2009, 04:26 PM
Or if you want a South Wales franchise :)

Ian
15th September 2009, 04:27 PM
Thanks for your support guys :)

Ian

davidsa
15th September 2009, 04:31 PM
Sounds a good idea!

How much do you envisage charging per day's course?

David

Ian
15th September 2009, 04:43 PM
Sounds a good idea!

How much do you envisage charging per day's course?

David

That's a question and a half! It has to be a commercially viable proposition. I can't give you a figure now, apart from the promise that beginner and intermediate courses would be under 100.

I have to study what others charge and factor in the cost of the facilities (they aren't free, even though I'm an office tenant here!)

I do courses training camera shop sales staff for a couple of the big name camera manufacturers - not as frequently as I'd like as the rewards are good! But I won't be earning anywhere near as much :rolleyes:

Ian

JackBenedict
15th September 2009, 05:39 PM
Sounds like a super course - but for me it is a few too many miles up the M4.
Good luck, I hope it proves to be a big success - like the South Wales Meet ( which I missed - grrhhh ! )

BUT I know John will be just dying to organise another.*chr

stevednp3
15th September 2009, 05:45 PM
Hi Ian

I'd be interested in an intermediate course and dont mind travelling let me know when you have set out prices

Would you be focusing on Olympus or would it be all brands and just photography in general ?

Cheers

Steve

jonesy
15th September 2009, 06:10 PM
Its also something I might be interested in (depending on what gets taught) Would it be the picture taking or the post production that you intend focussing on?

shirley
15th September 2009, 06:15 PM
Hi Ian

I'd be interested in an intermediate course .........let me know when you have set out prices

Me too, but it would probably have to be at the weekends for me.

Shirley

andym
15th September 2009, 06:19 PM
Yes sounds good.I'm interested.*yes

Zuiko
15th September 2009, 07:41 PM
I do courses training camera shop sales staff for a couple of the big name camera manufacturers - not as frequently as I'd like as the rewards are good! But I won't be earning anywhere near as much :rolleyes:

Ian

Not ask frequently as we'd like, either, judging by the quality of some shop staff! :D

I've posted a "serious" response to this thread on FTU. :)

Invicta
15th September 2009, 09:26 PM
Sounds a good idea.

I would be interested in a day covering colour management and printing, especially it also included calibrating an Olympus camera and we could bring our own cameras and take a photo of a target under ideal lighting conditions to take away and work on.

gregles
15th September 2009, 11:07 PM
I would love to do a course like this. I don't have a clue on most of the things my camera can do or even how to make the most of the features I do use.

Keep us updated and good luck:)

Glen Bentley
16th September 2009, 12:51 PM
Yes, definitely interested.

Await the details.

Graham_of_Rainham
16th September 2009, 01:33 PM
I too am interested, as would be some of my colleagues.

Ian
17th September 2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks for everyone's interest.

The plan is to go for a one-off course, basically to see how it works in practice. Details and prospective dates will be revealed next week. If all goes well and we get good feedback, we'll set a new date for a further course, and build accordingly.

I'm very excited by the prospect of running the course and, of course, to meet some of you in person!

The response seems to be that most of you who are interested would prefer a weekend day, and I have checked with our landlord and that won't be a problem.

In the meantime, all suggestions are very welcome.

Ian

j.baker
17th September 2009, 07:37 PM
Ian,

Can you post the course details, dates and costs........when you have them :)

*chr*chr

Zuiko
17th September 2009, 09:34 PM
Ian,

Can you give plenty of notice on dates, please, as my wife does tend to fill up our calendar and monopolise it unless I get in far enough in advance! :)

Thank you

sapper
19th September 2009, 06:19 AM
I would be interested in a course on Lightroom.
Dave.

Jonesgj
19th September 2009, 06:39 AM
Ian,

Well done Ian; sounds like youare making good progress.

You asked me about this in Stamford and I'm afraid I didn't follow-up with you ... pressure of work these last few weeks - really sorry

However, as discussed I have attended day courses in the past given by another firm. When I moved back to a dSLR my wife organised for me:
1) A course on composition and 2) a course taking your camera off auto and getting to know a dSLR.

Both were well delivered by experienced individuals and there was plenty of practical.

I am planning to go back for the intermediate courses when I have time, as I had a really good experience.

I also deliver IT training - I'm not a trainer but have had to bring people up to speed on certain technologies, standards and programming languages etc fast. So I know a little bit and enough to know what I would change about the courses I have attended to make them better in my view.

If you would like to "closely question me under a lamp" to get my experience and feed-back ---- may be you could offer me the training (and more importantly the experience) I am planning to go on --- I'll PM you my telephone number - probably easier than rambling on here :D

Graydon

Mariner
5th October 2009, 08:58 PM
I too would be interested.

meach
4th November 2009, 02:22 PM
I also would be very interested indeed - what is the latest thinking on this?

Ian
4th November 2009, 07:55 PM
Looking at early in the New Year now. I have to concentrate on getting the equipment hire service up and running first.

Ian

Zuiko
4th November 2009, 08:24 PM
Looking at early in the New Year now. I have to concentrate on getting the equipment hire service up and running first.

Ian

So we need to keep our diaries free for July? :D

Moneypenny2k
6th November 2009, 12:31 AM
I'm interested too.

Ian
6th November 2009, 09:59 AM
So we need to keep our diaries free for July? :D

I have these visions of you with a bad wig on and being shown how to suck eggs, John :eek::rolleyes:*yes:D

Goodness know what I could teach you! :)

Ian

Zuiko
6th November 2009, 02:14 PM
I have these visions of you with a bad wig on and being shown how to suck eggs, John :eek::rolleyes:*yes:D

Ian

That's not a vision, that's a nightmare! :eek: :eek: *laugh

Zuiko
6th November 2009, 02:16 PM
Goodness know what I could teach you! :)

Ian

How to actually use some basic functions of my editing software would be nice! :D

Paul-Recife
15th November 2009, 07:53 PM
Hi Ian,

I think the course idea is excellent. Personally, I'd prefer a two day course rather than one but I'd go for one if there was no option. Since I live a bit futher away than most, I imagine that I'd not make it for your early new year date, but hopefully you will repeat it in Abril or May when I'm in the country.

Alternatively, you could always come over to Brazil to give the course!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations by the way for a great site.

All the best, Paul

Zuiko
15th November 2009, 08:21 PM
Hi Ian,

I think the course idea is excellent. Personally, I'd prefer a two day course rather than one but I'd go for one if there was no option. Since I live a bit futher away than most, I imagine that I'd not make it for your early new year date, but hopefully you will repeat it in Abril or May when I'm in the country.

Alternatively, you could always come over to Brazil to give the course!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congratulations by the way for a great site.

All the best, Paul

I'm sure he would, if you pay his expenses! :D

Paul-Recife
15th November 2009, 09:43 PM
I'm sure we could come up with something! *yes

I've had a photographer friend based in China come over for a photographic holiday three times now but he never has the patience to help me, nor does he use Olympus cameras.

Paul

Ellie
15th November 2009, 10:19 PM
I'd love to be able to join you but, realistically, it's probably a bit too far.

CaptainD
16th November 2009, 07:57 AM
Dear Ian,

This sounds like a great idea, I look forward to the new year when the final details are revealed.

Cheers

Chris *chr

CaptainD
6th March 2010, 09:01 AM
Dear Ian,

I was wondering if you have any further news about the planned course? I certainly would be keen and I am currently looking around for opportunities to further my skills.

Cheers

Chris *chr

hairysteve666
15th July 2010, 02:22 PM
Sounds like a super course - but for me it is a few too many miles up the M4.
Good luck, I hope it proves to be a big success - like the South Wales Meet ( which I missed - grrhhh ! )

BUT I know John will be just dying to organise another.*chr

Hi Paul, Like yourself I am also in South Wales, For me the course would really have to be for Beginners :confused:
I suppose I have been lucky with some of the photos I have taken because a lot of them are guess, point and click.

spn0923
6th November 2010, 02:37 PM
any plans to rerun such a course
thanks