PDA

View Full Version : EP-1 and E30

Kiwi Paul
14th September 2009, 12:59 PM
I had a quick look in the local Jessops today and I was surprised to see an Olympus display stand at the enterance, they had the EP-1, E30 and E520 on direct display meaning I was able to pick them and handle them, the first time I'm ever seen them in the flesh.

The EP-1 is certainly not a camera that I would consider, it's nice enough but wouldn't suit my style of photography.

I was impressed with the E30 though, especially the ergonomics, it fitted into my hand more comfortably than the E3 and the thumbwheel was perfectly located meaning my thumb was always perched over it making adjustments easy (on the E3 the button is too far over to the left and I have to reach over with my thumb to access it and because I'm left eyed I alway end up touching my nose which is annoying).
I was suprised the rear screen didn't appear bigger as the screen of my E520 appears visibly larger than the one on my E3.
I found the buttons along the bottom slightly harder to press than those on the E3, they have elongated them and I prefer the round ones on the E3.
But certainly the E30 is a camera I could live with. I'll just have to wait for the E5 or what ever
I also noticed Currys had the E3 in stock for 799 and the 12-60mm SWD for 550!!

Paul

Ian
14th September 2009, 01:14 PM
I had a quick look in the local Jessops today and I was surprised to see an Olympus display stand at the enterance, they had the EP-1, E30 and E520 on direct display meaning I was able to pick them and handle them, the first time I'm ever seen them in the flesh.

The EP-1 is certainly not a camera that I would consider, it's nice enough but wouldn't suit my style of photography.

I was impressed with the E30 though, especially the ergonomics, it fitted into my hand more comfortably than the E3 and the thumbwheel was perfectly located meaning my thumb was always perched over it making adjustments easy (on the E3 the button is too far over to the left and I have to reach over with my thumb to access it and because I'm left eyed I alway end up touching my nose which is annoying).
I was suprised the rear screen didn't appear bigger as the screen of my E520 appears visibly larger than the one on my E3.
I found the buttons along the bottom slightly harder to press than those on the E3, they have elongated them and I prefer the round ones on the E3.
But certainly the E30 is a camera I could live with. I'll just have to wait for the E5 or what ever
I also noticed Currys had the E3 in stock for 799 and the 12-60mm SWD for 550!!

Paul

The E-30 has the same size 2.7 inch LCD panel as your E-520, while the older E-3 has a 2.5 inch panel. It seems a small difference, but in two dimesnions it's a significant difference.

Ian

Kiwi Paul
14th September 2009, 01:36 PM
Yes thats what I mean, it is really noticable on the E520 but on the E30 it wasn't so obvious, must be the larger body scales things down.

Paul