PDA

View Full Version : Tripod Body suggestions please...

theMusicMan
13th September 2009, 06:41 AM
Hi All

On the recent e-group meeting here in South Wales, when we were at one of the locations I left my tripod in the car and Ian kindly allowed me to use his Manfrotto one. Very nice it is too - it had a ball and socket head, which I found to be extremely usable, moreso than the pan/tilt head I have on my current tripod.

I have a ball and socket head on my Manfrotto monopod, the model number of this is 484RC2 - and this I find excellent too. The thing is, though it screws off the monopod, it won't fit onto my tripod - which is very good, as it is off my Opticron Spotting Scope.

I am therefore in need of a Manfrotto tripod base. Can anyone suggest a decent set of Manfrotto legs please to host my Manfrotto ball and socket head...? :)

Ta

StephenL
13th September 2009, 06:48 AM
Why won't it fit your tripod? If it's just that the screw thread is too large, you can easily get adaptors from Jessops and the like for a couple of quid.

Barrie Norman
13th September 2009, 07:28 AM
John

I have a Manfrotto 484RC2 head on my Opticron Carbon Fibre Traveller Tripod, this is a fantastic sturdy light weight set up for landscape work, as Stephen has said you need the addaptor, there are only two sizes of thread, this was standardised years ago 1/4 inch or 3/8 inch all manfrotto heads have 3/8 threads and you screw the addaptor in to step it down, my Opticron tripod has a 1/4 inch thread so i think yours will to if it the other way round you will see a slot at the edges of the addaptor in the head it will come out with a large screwdriver. I have a Manfrotto 055XBPRO Tripod which I use for my Bigma with a Gimbal head and it is very heavy to carry around I much prefer to carry the lightweight one. I hope this solves your problem.

Kiwi Paul
14th September 2009, 08:28 PM
The adaptor sounds like your solution but I have a Manfrotto 190XPROB tripod which is very good. The centre column can be made to fold out horozontally which is very handy for macro work or in some awkward situations. It also only has 2 clamps per leg as opposed to 3 clamps per leg which is more common, it makes it slighty faster to deploy and packup again although it's a bit longer than the 3 clamp versions.

Paul

benvendetta
15th September 2009, 11:37 AM
I use an 484RC2 with my Giottis tripod without any problem. Most tripods and monopods have two sizes of threads within each other.

theMusicMan
15th September 2009, 04:25 PM
I have an adapter now courtesy of John Baker... cheers matey!