PDA

View Full Version : File names - I'm confused!

baldyb
12th September 2009, 01:51 PM
Another basic question that I'm sure has a simple answer but I can't see it!

I currently have 2 e-510 bodies, one with my 14-54 and the other with my 50-200 attached. The first has a shutter count of just 501, the second 4810.

In my instruction manual it says that the camera assigns a unique filename to each picture eg P9121234 where P = sRGB 9=m 12=dd and 1234=file number.

To be honest I haven't really taken any notice of these before, but now that I am using images from two separate CF cards I have just realised that when I look at any image in the Master2 software whilst the filenames displayed at the top of the screen are indeed in this format (and the date sequence is correct) the file numbers do not seem to correspond to the shutter counts of the two cameras. This is particularly noticeable with images taken using the 14-54 body that has the low shutter count. :confused:

Should there be a correlation or am I missing something (again)?

Any comments welcome, as ever!

Cheers, Kevin
*chr

Ian
12th September 2009, 03:14 PM
Another basic question that I'm sure has a simple answer but I can't see it!

I currently have 2 e-510 bodies, one with my 14-54 and the other with my 50-200 attached. The first has a shutter count of just 501, the second 4810.

In my instruction manual it says that the camera assigns a unique filename to each picture eg P9121234 where P = sRGB 9=m 12=dd and 1234=file number.

To be honest I haven't really taken any notice of these before, but now that I am using images from two separate CF cards I have just realised that when I look at any image in the Master2 software whilst the filenames displayed at the top of the screen are indeed in this format (and the date sequence is correct) the file numbers do not seem to correspond to the shutter counts of the two cameras. This is particularly noticeable with images taken using the 14-54 body that has the low shutter count. :confused:

Should there be a correlation or am I missing something (again)?

Any comments welcome, as ever!

Cheers, Kevin
*chr

OK, here is how it goes. The first character can be a P or an underscore (_). P stands for sRGB colour space, and _ is for Adobe RGB.

The next character is the month and is rather like hexadecimal, so 1-9 are January to September, then you shift to the letters A, B, and C for October, November, and December.

The next two spaces are for the day of the month.

The final four spaces are for frame numbering. This can be reset if you set the camera to do so each time card is emptied, or it can be set to increment continuously, until 9999, when it will go back to 0001.

So for today, 12th September, using sRGB, the file name would be P-9-12-xxxx, or let's say P9120512 (frame 512 in the numbering sequence). The Adobe RGB equivalent would be _9120512.

The convention above is actual set out in the specification for exif data, but some other cameras let you customise the file name so you can have your initials at the beginning, for example.

The numbering sequence is not linked directly to the total number of frames that shutter has operated.

Ian

Ian
12th September 2009, 03:16 PM
Just to add - I think if you put a card from one camera into another camera on the same day, the numbering will simply increment. I haven't tested that - but I think that's correct.

Ian

Nick Temple-Fry
12th September 2009, 03:47 PM
Ian - am I correct in thinking that when the 9999-0000 roll-over happens - it also triggers the increment in folder number (for example 103OLYMP to 104OLYMP).

It always surprises me when this happens.

Nick

shenstone
12th September 2009, 07:48 PM
Ian - am I correct in thinking that when the 9999-0000 roll-over happens - it also triggers the increment in folder number (for example 103OLYMP to 104OLYMP).

It always surprises me when this happens.

Nick

Me to

Pain in the neck isn't it ! I suddenly don't find files where I'm expecting some and have 3 seconds of panic before rational thought resurfaces !

Also in relation to Ian's post about you can change the leading P or _ it's just a naming convention and the colourspace is actually held in the file. I reset it on one of my camera bodies the day I hit a duplicate name and have never had issues since then

Regards
Andy

DerekW
13th September 2009, 09:35 AM
In the E3 you can set the leading character to what ever you like so I increment the first character each year so it will be at least 26 years before I get a duplicate file name. - Currently on "V" so 4 more years and it will be set to A.

Prior to the E3 I was renaming all the image files to comply with alpha designation once they were on the computer.

baldyb
13th September 2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks Ian
Sorry to come back but do you mean the increment of +1 is simply applied to the last number on the card that is being used at the time - there is no count recorded in the camera body itself that is "transferred" onto the card?
Cheers, Kevin
*chr

Ian
13th September 2009, 03:05 PM
Thanks Ian
Sorry to come back but do you mean the increment of +1 is simply applied to the last number on the card that is being used at the time - there is no count recorded in the camera body itself that is "transferred" onto the card?
Cheers, Kevin
*chr

Yes, I think that's the case. The camera does keep a count of total shutter actions, but that's not connected to the file name numbers.

Ian

baldyb
13th September 2009, 06:23 PM
Hi Ian

Thats what I had thought before I started this thread but I have just taken a shot using a spare card (last stored image P3014391) and, on checking the file number recorded (P9134787) find it has recorded the date correctly but incremented the final 4 digits based on the last image recorded on the removed card (taken yesterday) - not what I was expecting!

I am going to get a brand new card when I can this week just to test this out again and ensure I'm not going mad (although thats quite possible).
Will post again when I have further info.

Thanks for your patience, Kevin

DerekW
14th September 2009, 09:28 AM
That is exactly what happens, you can change the camera to start at 0001 with each new card.

On the E3 in the Menu system see Spanner or Wrench 1 section H in the Custom Menu settings see the File name which can be set to Auto or Reset. The Auto continues incrementing the filename value (and is the factory default settingfor the camera) and Reset sets the filename value back to 0001 when an empty card is used.

I would not be surprised if the a similar set of settings also apply in your camera.

Adagio
14th September 2009, 05:53 PM
That is exactly what happens, you can change the camera to start at 0001 with each new card.

On the E3 in the Menu system see Spanner or Wrench 1 section H in the Custom Menu settings see the File name which can be set to Auto or Reset. The Auto continues incrementing the filename value (and is the factory default settingfor the camera) and Reset sets the filename value back to 0001 when an empty card is used.

I would not be surprised if the a similar set of settings also apply in your camera.

My E520 is the same - quote from manual:-

"[AUTO]
Even when a new card is inserted, the folder numbers are retained from the previous card. If the new card contains an image file whose file number coincides with one saved on the previous card, the new cardís file numbers start at the number following the highest number on the previous card.
[RESET]
When a new card is inserted, folder numbers start at 100 and file numbers start at 0001.
If a card containing images is inserted, the file numbers start at the number following the highest file number on the card."

baldyb
15th September 2009, 05:58 PM
Thanks to all of you who took the time to reply.

I'm clearer now and had misunderstood the meaning of a "new" card, assuming it meant only an brand new unused card, not also a card that had previously been used. Easy when you know how!

Kevin
*chr

lucian
23rd September 2009, 03:27 AM
Found this on another forum. I have not looked at in in depth but did save it to my favourites. Hopefully this can be of some help.

http://www.biofos.com/cornucop/hidden.html

Melaka
23rd September 2009, 06:22 AM
I changed the numbers and lettering in my cameras so that all shots taken with the E3 start E3 and those with the E510 start with E5.