PDA

View Full Version : Viewfinder correction lenses no longer available (yes they are)

Rawcoll
10th September 2009, 09:53 AM
Update (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?p=51734#post51734) - correction lenses remain available :) -Ed.

I noticed that Olympus are no longer listing the viewfinder correction lenses (DE-P3 and N3), and it turns out that they are no longer being made. I find this discouraging, and for me would be a deal breaker had I not already purchased one. With my ageing sight I need to use reading specs, but with a viewfinder correction lens I do not have to put them on every time I wish to take a picture. Thatís also one of the reasons I wouldnít ever buy a point and shoot without a viewfinder that I could use: I just can't see the lcd properly without my specs.

Donít these small items of kit make the difference between a fully-fledged system that pros would use, and a consumer grade product? Canon list 10 dioptre correction lenses, and even Sony, 9, for their camera systems (though availability of course might be a different thing). Curiously, I canít find any listed for Nikon.

I have been thinking about upgrading my E-510 to an E-30 and continue using the superb Oly glass. But now I am beginning to have doubts: why would I invest over £700 in something that would become operationally impractical should I ever lose this irreplaceable piece of kit costing twenty quid?

Am I being a bit melodramatic? I don't think so: having to put glasses on every time I wish to take a picture is a non-starter for me, and would certainly take away any spontaneity. Having to wear glasses is irritating enough without this added complication. I suppose that I can look forward to the time when I shall need to wear specs all the time because of deteriorating distance vision, and then I wonít need a correction lens at all (provided of course that I was content to look through the viewfinder whilst wearing glasses)!

Ian

Ian
10th September 2009, 10:50 AM
But all Olympus DSLRs have user-adjustable optical viewfinders. I've always assumed that the adjustment available covers what was provided in the form of viewfinder diopter correction lenses? Is the user-adjustable range insufficient?

Ian

Rawcoll
10th September 2009, 11:48 AM
Unfortunately, with my 510 it is up against the most positive stop, and with E-30's I've looked at the range is insufficient, even though both are stated to be -3 to +1 (something I noticed at Focus on Imaging 2009). So with the +3 dioptre correction the effective range is 0 to +4, which comfortably spans my needs.

I recently acquired a G1 and that has a admirable viewfinder adjustment range stated to be -4 to +4. I can't imagine anyone needing more than that.

I must say that I don't see the need for so many different strengths of correction lenses to be available in the Canon and Sony systems, given that the viewfinder itself is adjustable.

Ian

dbutch
10th September 2009, 03:59 PM
Hi

Interestingly about 20 years ago I worked on a military tank sight and that had an adjustment range of -3 to +1, I asked why and it appears the average male is at -1! so they give +/- 2 as an adjustment.

I'm short sighted so wear glasses full time, recently had to get some vari-focals because of near sight but the biggest problem I found with near sight limitations were seeing the camera controls, LCD etc*chr

blu-by-u
11th September 2009, 04:53 AM
That is a reason why I am so happy with that aged E-330. The Live view Mode A is fast and the AF dots are so accurate. I need not peep through that dark viewfinder. The current crop of Live view from olympus is slow and not accurate.

oly_om
11th September 2009, 09:20 AM
The -3 to +1 only covers relatively youthful folk with typical sight problems - normally short-sightedness (needing a negative compensation). As we age, we tend to get more long-sighted. Given I am already at +4.5 on my prescription, this means I have to use glasses when I use the camera - there isn't another option. I'd consider getting the E-3 eyecup (EP-7) - it's wider and works better with glasses than the standard one. Luton camera should be able to sort you out with one. I would be reasonably confident that a Canon dioptre lens could be adapted fairly easily for an Olympus camera as the eyecup fitting is very similar.

Andy

Rawcoll
11th September 2009, 10:38 AM
Andy, I am fortunate in that I do have a DE-P3, so for the time being I am OK. It also has a larger eyecup. My real concern is that I really don't want to have to put my reading specs on every time I want to take a picture, so a correction lens is a must have for me. In short, it bothers me that the viability of a complete camera system is somewhat jeopardized for the want of a £20 accessory. A bit short sighted :) of Oly in my view. Oh well, perhaps I am very much in the minority in being affected by this.

Dbutch, interesting origin of -3 to +1.

Ian

DerekW
12th September 2009, 11:40 AM
What exactly is wrong with your eyes - what correction factor do you need to see long distance and what correction factor do you need to read. Do you suffer from significant astigmatism(sp).

Without this info we cannot make any helpful suggestions.

Ian
12th September 2009, 01:34 PM
What exactly is wrong with your eyes - what correction factor do you need to see long distance and what correction factor do you need to read. Do you suffer from significant astigmatism(sp).

Without this info we cannot make any helpful suggestions.

Personally, I have astigmatism in both eyes. With glasses or contacts, I have very good vision though I have a lazy left eye. I don't believe my prescription has any correction factor apart from the astigmatism, and I have no problem focusing through viewfinder, though at 48 I'm sure things will change sooner or later! I'm quite lucky as my prescription has hardly changed in ten years and my current specs are three years old.

Wearing specs, though, it does mean I usually can't see all four corners of the focusing screen at the same time :rolleyes:

Ian

crimbo
13th September 2009, 06:17 AM
the big things are easy....it s the little things that mark out quality... if Oly are not now producing the VF correction lenses...its a system quality loss...

So maybe the EP1 and a pair of bi-focals is the way its going...

Ian
17th September 2009, 10:14 AM
I have some positive news. Olympus continues to supply correction lenses. Any stories that they aren't available any more, is simply not true.

Larger UK dealers, like Park or Wilkinsons, will be able to get these or other rarer accessories, maybe through a special order, but sometimes from stock.

That's the response I received from enquiries with Olympus UK.

Ian

Rawcoll
17th September 2009, 10:52 AM
Ian, that is good news.

However, not wishing to be accused of spreading false rumours let me say that having noticed that they were no longer listed on Olympus UK's site, I queried their availability with Olympus customer support. Their reply was:

"After speaking with our trade sales unit, i can confirm we no longer manufacture that product and discontinued production over a year ago.

I apologise for any inconvenience this causes."

A little baffling, but I bow to your information as a result of your close contact with the Company.

Ian

Ian
17th September 2009, 12:39 PM
Oh dear! Well, clearly, someone is wrong and someone is right :rolleyes:

I have passed this back to Olympus and will update you when I get an answer. One thing in our favour is that I was sent a stock level of various accessories and the correction lenses were listed as in stock. Verification was done at Olympus Europe, too. So I'm hoping that the answer you received was some kind of local confusion.

Ian

Ian
18th September 2009, 10:48 AM
OK, I have had a response and the answer is unequivocal, from both Olympus Europe and Olympus here in the UK, correction lense ARE available.

A dealer may need to order them for you as they are not commonly stocked. It seems that smaller dealers are more reluctant to order these items, so try the larger ones, like Fotosense, or Park Cameras.

Please let me know how you get on if you do order one!

Ian

Rawcoll
18th September 2009, 01:30 PM
Thanks Ian, that is excellent news. And thank you for taking the time to resolve the query.

Sorry to have raised a red herring, though it is a pity that Olympus don't list the DE-P3 and DE-N3 on their website, under 'Accessories - DSLR viewfinder'.

Ian

Ian
18th September 2009, 02:54 PM
They should be in the website, you're right. They certainly are on the US website:

http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/product.asp?product=1430&page=accessories

Ian

EH1
18th September 2009, 03:26 PM
Both of these are for sale on ebay! Item No`s. 160184218842 & 160224561377 ;)