PDA

View Full Version : Super FP (manual) mode, FL36R and off-camera shoe cord?

dkayuk
6th September 2009, 04:28 PM
Hi all

I'd like to use the Super FP mode on manual with my FL36R. Having already tried it on my camera's hotshoe, it works, what I'd REALLY like to do is to use it off-camera for some high speed shots (water splash type stuff) .

If I buy an off-camera shoe cord, is this just like having the flash on the hotshoe (as far as the camera is concerned)? Does the Super FP mode (manual) work with this setup?

I did look for answer on google and found some useful stuff on Super FP. But no answer to my specific Q. I even read the Olympus FL36R manual but no luck.

BTW, I'm using an Olympus E-30.

cheers

DK

Graham_of_Rainham
6th September 2009, 05:00 PM
You need one of these

http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/images/products/CA_AC_FL_FL-CB05F_m.jpg

FL-CB05

shenstone
6th September 2009, 06:35 PM
If I buy an off-camera shoe cord, is this just like having the flash on the hotshoe (as far as the camera is concerned)? Does the Super FP mode (manual) work with this setup?

Graham posted the kit you need, but to answer your question specifically

YES

it just carries the signals through exactly as if the flashgun was in the hotshoe

IMO every flashgun should come with one as I use mine as much off the camera as on. You get shadows which means much less flat pictures

Regards
Andy

photo_owl
6th September 2009, 07:55 PM
super FP flash mode is not the best mode to use for high speed shots as it restricts you to the camera's minimum shutter speed.

if flash is the primary illumination then using 1/250th in normal auto mode will give you an effective 1/10,000th to 1/20,000th (the flash period) to freeze your action.

as already confirmed - connection via the cord is the same as mountng in the hotshoe.

you have RC mode as well - which requires no cord.

Vancer
7th September 2009, 08:24 PM
Do you know if the built in flash on a E3 will pop up when the FL-CB05 is fitted?

I'd like to use an FL-50 with an FL-50R and wonder if it's best to purchase an IR trigger system or use a cable like this.

Roy

Wreckdiver
7th September 2009, 08:59 PM
Do you know if the built in flash on a E3 will pop up when the FL-CB05 is fitted?

No, the E-3s flash won't pop up with the FL-CB05 fitted.

Steve