PDA

View Full Version : The Photographers Ephemeris

jdal
6th September 2009, 08:17 AM
Sorry if this has been posted already, I couldn't find anything.

The Photographer's Ephemeris (http://stephentrainor.com/tools)

This is an absolutely cracking free utility for landscape photography showing you the angles that the sun/moon rises and sets at any location you choose, using Google Maps.

Sometimes a developer comes up with (a) a great idea and (b) implements it smoothly and concisely - good software does what it's designed for intuitively and well and without distractions. This is such an application.

photo_owl
6th September 2009, 10:36 AM
superb! thanks

David M
6th September 2009, 02:16 PM
This is an absolutely cracking free utility for landscape photography showing you the angles that the sun/moon rises and sets at any location you choose, using Google Maps.

Sometimes a developer comes up with (a) a great idea and (b) implements it smoothly and concisely - good software does what it's designed for intuitively and well and without distractions. This is such an application.

Yeah, I've been using it for a while. I can't remember where I saw the link.

crimbo
6th September 2009, 02:21 PM
B!"$r me
Excellent bit of s/w
Great for astronomy as well as photography

HughofBardfield
7th September 2009, 12:39 PM
Brill!

Thanks for sharing John, going to be very useful! *chr

Trausti Hraunfjord
7th September 2009, 11:37 PM
Nice applet, but doesn't work beyond 65.72N

jdal
8th September 2009, 08:42 AM
Trausti,

In what way doesn't it work? Is it just innaccurate, because I've just tried it on a place called "Silsland" at 69.23N 17.94E and it looks ok.

Edit: In fact it seems to work well N of the Arctic Circle, it omits the "Sunset" parts. Rather neat really.

Trausti Hraunfjord
8th September 2009, 09:27 AM
Ah... sorry, I was testing for the longest day of the year, June 22nd, and there it fails to show anything at all. No moon or sun rise/set lines.... my fault... the sun doesn't go down that high north, and on the 22nd this year, the moon rose was also up there...

My ignorance on display once more :)

Very neat program.

David M
4th October 2009, 12:13 PM
It was updated to 1.0 RC1 (release candidate 1) a couple of weeks ago.

I've let early adopters test it since then before updating today.

ringneck
5th October 2009, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I've been using it for a while. I can't remember where I saw the link.

Ditto.........Brill

keith *chr