PDA

View Full Version : How many bags have you got?

E-P1 fan
19th January 2008, 11:13 PM
Am I alone in my endless and so far fruitless search for the perfect camera bag - the one that will be the best choice for all occassions?

I doubt it. In fact I bet most of us have more bags kicking around than we ever use.

I've got a Lowepro Backpack bag, 3 standard shoulder bags with adjustable compartments, an aluminium flightcase and I'm sure there used to be a Crumpler somewhere too!!
All of them are good for specific occasions but none of them works in all, or even most, situations.

Does the ultimate bag exist? :confused:

theMusicMan
19th January 2008, 11:30 PM
I have two - one I use for my main bag, and the other a simple E-System bag that can hold an E-400/510 camera plus an additional lens. I am awaiting delivery of the E-3 System promotional offer shoulder camera bag that really does look the business. Should be here in a week or so if lucky...

Ian posted some shots of the promotional bags a few weeks ago... here they are:

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/556/E-System_ProBackpack_openCase_SM.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/2563)

shenstone
20th January 2008, 10:25 AM
Am I alone in my endless and so far fruitless search for the perfect camera bag - the one that will be the best choice for all occasions?

I doubt it. In fact I bet most of us have more bags kicking around than we ever use.

I've got a Lowepro Backpack bag, 3 standard shoulder bags with adjustable compartments, an aluminium flightcase and I'm sure there used to be a Crumpler somewhere too!!
All of them are good for specific occasions but none of them works in all, or even most, situations.

No You're not alone and No I don't think that the ultimate bag exists

Currently my main bag is a Lowe Pro Vertex 200 AW which is the biggest thing I can get on as hand luggage - takes 2 SLR's with 4 spare lenses, flashguns, portable Hard Drive and my laptop as well! I like the fact I can strap both tri and monopods to it as well

This is great for travel but not for quick access so I strap a couple of sliplock pouches on the belt and one on the shoulder strap (wife thinks I'm a packhorse at about that point!)

However for evenings out or just walking around I just drop a subset into my old Lowe Pro shoulder bag or grab a couple of camera care pouches from my den.

Then there are extreme environments ...

For days in the outdoors (wet environments) I tend to stick things in ortleib bags rather than rely on a camera bag and limit what I get out at once. For muddy these have the advantage of being wipe clean.

For caving I use a Pelican box these days. they are available in all sorts of sizes and I've never had one fail on me. Before this I used to use old army Ammunition boxes, but these were a lot more fallible and heavier.

So perfection - I'm still searching and it gives the boss lady an excuse for another handbag as she still reckons I have more than she does !

Regards
Andy

Jim Ford
20th January 2008, 12:19 PM
For caving I use a Pelican box these days. they are available in all sorts of sizes and I've never had one fail on me.

Pelican boxes are certainly good, but the bigger ones cost almost as much as an Oly lens!

Jim Ford

E-P1 fan
20th January 2008, 12:31 PM
I must say I do like the look of that E System bag. I did when Ian posted up the earlier pics.

My darker side whispers that buying camera bags might be akin to the more known and accepted practice of some ladies buying certain 'items'!

So the maybe the answer to the question "Why do you need another camera bag?" should be - - for the same reason you need another handbag! :eek:

Barr1e
20th January 2008, 12:39 PM
Unfortunately like many all my bags are too small - especially when you start growing your new camera system. I would find it tedious to list my inadequacies.

I can't make up my mind whether to improve my library, programs (p+p) or bag with my remaining Christmas monies.

Regards. Barr1e

OlyPaul
20th January 2008, 01:53 PM
My wife always asks ..why have you more camera bags than I have handbags?...I.m still trying to think of a good answer;)

theMusicMan
20th January 2008, 01:58 PM
My wife always asks ..why have you more camera bags than I have handbags?...I.m still trying to think of a good answer;)

Suggested answer...

"Ahhh, but dearest.... I may only have one camera, but you have 10 times more pairs of shoes than I have camera bags!!... I do love you though...:) "

:D

E-P1 fan
20th January 2008, 02:14 PM
OK ideas wanted - best bag to safely carry an E-1 and a spare BLM-1 while riding a bike! I have used the Lowepro but it's too bulky really.

I've not so far found a solution - other than NO bag or case and winding the strap across you - fine - as long as you don't come a cropper.

Barr1e
20th January 2008, 02:45 PM
OK ideas wanted - best bag to safely carry an E-1 and a spare BLM-1 while riding a bike! I have used the Lowepro but it's too bulky really.

I've not so far found a solution - other than NO bag or case and winding the strap across you - fine - as long as you don't come a cropper.

I fell from my bike at speed last October 4th and have not been fit enough since due to my hip area showing discomfort still to clamber back on. I have put on quite a few pounds due to the inactivity. Fortunately it was a day before I received my E-510. The Fuji S9500 I was carrying escaped unharmed.

Now returning to your question - if you have not had a mishap cycling what about considering a pannier and lining it with foam?

Regards. Barr1e

Wreckdiver
20th January 2008, 03:06 PM
Am I alone in my endless and so far fruitless search for the perfect camera bag - the one that will be the best choice for all occassions?

I have several, but I don't think there is a perfect bag for all situations - well, not for me. I have a couple of small bags for my C-8080WZs and a Lowepro Nova 4 for my E-1 and lenses. If I am travelling abroad on a dive trip I take a Lowpro MiniTrekker AW, which is great for hand luggage on aircraft. I am waiting for the free Olympus promotional bag, which will be great for the E-3 here in the UK. I now need a bigger one for travel, one that will take my E-3, lenses and the 2 C-8080s and will take my diving regs and computers as well. That should take it nicely to 12kg+ :eek:

Steve

E-P1 fan
20th January 2008, 03:06 PM
I fell from my bike at speed last October 4th and have not been fit enough since due to my hip area showing discomfort still to clamber back on. I have put on quite a few pounds due to the inactivity. Fortunately it was a day before I received my E-510. The Fuji S9500 I was carrying escaped unharmed.

Nasty - always my big fear when out on the road. Seeing that even experts in road racing like Jason McIntyre can become victims to traffic does make me very wary out on the now.

what about considering a pannier and lining it with foam?

That's a brilliant idea Barrie. I had genuinely never considered it. I do have a rear carrier and I'm sure I could rig something up. Talk about not seeing the wood for the trees :o ... many thanks

Wreckdiver
20th January 2008, 03:17 PM

I would have thought the Olympus freebie bag would be ideal for use whilst riding a bike.

Steve

E-P1 fan
20th January 2008, 03:30 PM
I agree - but I don't have one though :(

shenstone
20th January 2008, 05:05 PM
Pelican boxes are certainly good, but the bigger ones cost almost as much as an Oly lens!

Jim Ford

Yup, but you want the best protection for your cameras then...

I'd got to the point before getting my peliboxes that I'd aout given up on bring willling to carry a good enough box. I've seen a friend of mine who's a well known cave photographer with a box full of water which had bobbing in it a couple of Olympus film cameras, various lenses and flashguns. He uses Peliboxes now !

Regards
Andy

DerekW
20th January 2008, 05:17 PM
I have a Billingham bag that held two bodies a heap of lens and a laptop and balances on one shoulder and contributed to me having to have a spinal fusion.

I have a Lowepro Computreker for taking E1/E3 plus three lenses, and 15" powerBook plus all the associated cables, card readers, rodents. This goes as handcarry luggage.

I have a Peli Case with wheels fitted out for above equipment for when I have to check the luggage. (Along with two TSA compatible locks) - Big issue will be when the security people change the rules between leaving home and boarding the plane when I am with the Lowepro bag.

E-P1 fan
20th January 2008, 05:54 PM
I love Billinghams - as bags anyway. I assume they are also great as practical camera carriers and not just de rigeur travel storage a la Michael Palin :)

DerekW
20th January 2008, 06:09 PM
Billingham bags are great but to be fully accessible you have the strap over say the right shoulder and you have then compensate for the unbalanced load on the shoulder by straining the back - bit like over the shoulder laptop bags.

David M
20th January 2008, 07:09 PM
3 backpacks (2 Lowe-Pro and 1 Tenba).

3 shoulder bags (3 different sizes of Tenba Pro-Pak's).

1 Pelican (1550 model I think).

The oldest is one of the Tenba Pro-Pak's that dates back to when they were first imported into the UK by the Hasselblad importer in about 1980. It's as good today as the day I got it despite having had some serious abuse over the years. I've picked a couple of other sizes of the Pro-Pak's since getting the first but it appears Tenba no longer make the Pro-Pak range.

Despite loving the Pro-Pak's I don't like the Tenba backpacks and much prefer the Lowe-Pro's.

The Pelican is great in dusty/sandy conditions. I've rinsed it off with a hose with all the equipment still inside it.

shenstone
20th January 2008, 07:47 PM
I love Billinghams - as bags anyway. I assume they are also great as practical camera carriers and not just de rigeur travel storage a la Michael Palin :)

And even just as regular handbags !!!

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/rhian1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/2162)

My Good lady (sitting beside me now!) insists that there was a camera in the bag at this time!

I actually know that to be true because she took some stunning pictures about an hour later in the Cirque de Troumouse

Regards
Andy (& Rhian!)