PDA

View Full Version : FL-50Rs and a strobe ???

Graham_of_Rainham
5th September 2009, 06:11 PM
The set up is fairly standard studio arrangement, Two FL-50Rs in front of the model and an old sunpack with a slave unit lighting up either the background or as a hair light.

Problem: If I use the FL-50Rs in their "R" mode, the preflash from the camera triggers the back strobe, before the shutter/main flash.

Any ideas for getting the backlight to see the main flash and not the preflash.

Everything is fine in manual slave mode, but that means all adjustments to the flashes is done on the heads rather than from the camera. Not too much of an issue in a simple setup but if one gun is high overhead the RC mode is really usefull.

I've already ordered extra leads to trigger the rear flash and I could buy another FL-XXR as a rear light...

ANY BRIGHT IDEAS *idea

Thanks guys

photo_owl
5th September 2009, 06:25 PM
the way I did this was to play with the position/angle of the optical slave unit and sheild it with tissue until I got it to react to the flash but not the control flashes.

doing this it's possible to tune out the pre flash in ttl as well, but generally I switched to auto

other option with the sunpak is to connect by cord (long) to the X socket in the E3 but - in my case certainly - the trigger voltage was 220 and I decided against it.

3 Rs remains my objective but I'm not using indoor set ups much at the moment (and use the sun as my hair light with 2 50's shooting outdoors) - but winter's coming........

Graham_of_Rainham
5th September 2009, 06:37 PM
the way I did this was to play with the position/angle of the optical slave unit and sheild it with tissue until I got it to react to the flash but not the control flashes.

doing this it's possible to tune out the pre flash in ttl as well, but generally I switched to auto

other option with the sunpak is to connect by cord (long) to the X socket in the E3 but - in my case certainly - the trigger voltage was 220 and I decided against it.

3 Rs remains my objective but I'm not using indoor set ups much at the moment (and use the sun as my hair light with 2 50's shooting outdoors) - but winter's coming........

I shall be trying the "sheilding" but I can already see a problem in that if I turn down a main light the shielded strobe unit may then not see it at the lower power.

While I'm using a high voltage gun on the slave unit, I shall use a LV one if I have to use a lead. I have all my guns marked up so I don't forget and connect 360V to the E-3 :eek:

3 Rs will be the easy way out but I also want a new lens this year and for the amount of use it will get it's not cost effective.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll certianly be playing with this untill I crack it:cool:

*chr

photo_owl
5th September 2009, 07:11 PM
indeed - as you say it's not 'cost effective'

I tend to try and set the slave up to pick up a bit from both guns so, on the basis that the overall flash contribution is a reasonable constant and that there's a fair amount of lattitude, adjusting one or other doesn't keep effecting it.

all my old guns are HV

Archphoto
5th September 2009, 07:57 PM
How about no pré fashes and manual focus ????

I will be facing the same problem when I start with my radio-slaved studio set-up (Bowens)......

Peter

Graham_of_Rainham
5th September 2009, 10:34 PM
How about no pré fashes and manual focus ????

I will be facing the same problem when I start with my radio-slaved studio set-up (Bowens)......

Peter

The pre-flash from the E-3 is the RC communication to the FL-50Rs rather than a focus assist flashing (which I do have turned off)

You won't have any problems with Radio triggers as the transmitter will be on the hot shoe so no posibility of any type of pre-flash.

In the studio, everything I do is triggered with IR or Radio and always done manually, but I'm still working up the portable system and thought it would be nice to try using the RC function of the FL-50Rs and control the guns from the camera.

All good fun :rolleyes:

Thanks