PDA

View Full Version : Am needing some help!?

HMFitz
3rd September 2009, 01:39 PM
I am in the process of getting to know my E-510 and attempting to get out of that lazt auto settings world to shutter speed and aperture but trying to grasp the changes of s.speed, aperture and ISO to get the exposure right.
Am i right to say that i should be able to see the exposure cursor from my viewfinder? If so, how can i get it that way as i do not see it? I did find the button near the shutter button with +- marks and seeing how on the right top of the LCD screen i can change it but wanting to make sure if i could someone find the actual cursor for it?

If that sounds like a rather unclear question, forgive me, as my knowledge is rather unclear but very very passionate to learn and get better :)

EH1
4th September 2009, 02:15 PM
First of all welcome to the forum! I am trying to work out what it is you are asking, but it`s not all that clear:confused: I think that basically you are trying to learn how to use your camera out of AUTO mode, which is a good thing & I am sure we will all try & help you, however rather than trying full manual mode, you would probably learn more easily by learning to use the camera in `A` Mode (Aperture Priority) & `S` Mode (Shutter Priority) first! Then moving on to FULL MANUAL will be alot easier!*yes If you need anymore advice don`t be afraid to ask ;)

HMFitz
4th September 2009, 02:17 PM
Thank you for the warm welcome!
Actually i am trying out the A and S and not daring to go as far as the fully manual quite yet :)

Kiwi Paul
4th September 2009, 02:25 PM
Hi & welcome :)

I'm not totally sure what you are asking but..... the +- button your referred to is for changing the exposure so you can under or over expose.
When in S or A modes if you rotate the thumb wheel you will change the aperture or shutter speed depending on the mode and the camera will automatically alter the other setting to keep the exposure correct. But there is no exposure bar etc.

Is that what you mean?

Paul

photo_owl
4th September 2009, 03:34 PM
there is no exposure 'cursor' in A or S modes as the reading would always be centred with any dialled in EV indicated seperately!

this is because both A and S are auto modes and the camera will adjust one when you adjust the other. If the camera runs out of a valid exposure solution (to much light for the aperture or to little for the shutter speed) it will flash the aperture or shutter speed to show it's not happy.

in M you get a visual display of the metering which indicates the relationship between your chosen settings and the camera's metering of the exposure.

HMFitz
4th September 2009, 10:12 PM
Hi & welcome :)

I'm not totally sure what you are asking but..... the +- button your referred to is for changing the exposure so you can under or over expose.
When in S or A modes if you rotate the thumb wheel you will change the aperture or shutter speed depending on the mode and the camera will automatically alter the other setting to keep the exposure correct. But there is no exposure bar etc.

Is that what you mean?

Paul

When it comes to exposure bar, then yes, that is what i wanted to know.
I am aware that when using S or A setting, changing the setting the camera will change the other one accordingly, but trying out different s.speed values i ended up getting some under and overexposures and more or less randomly tried to fix it with changing the ISO...
Might be still sounding rather confusing but i will get there in the end.

Thanks for your help!

OlyPaul
5th September 2009, 08:08 AM
If using the Aperture priority or shutter priority modes then dial in +exposure comp if you feel they are underexposed and -exposure compensation if underexposed,its the little +/- button on the camera and you will see the exposure compensation you have dialed in in the veiwfinder or lcd.

Don't worry you will get used to the different exposure and metering modes, I tend to set up all my E-cameras for ESP metering off the shutter button and spot metering of the AEL button for tricky metering situations so i can quickly switch between the two. :)

photo_owl
5th September 2009, 03:17 PM
I am aware that when using S or A setting, changing the setting the camera will change the other one accordingly, but trying out different s.speed values i ended up getting some under and overexposures and more or less randomly tried to fix it with changing the ISO...

As already explained the only time that changing the aperture (in (A) or shutter speed in (S)) will affect the actual exposure is when the camera has run out of adjustment on the other variable.

This is one reason for under/over exposure and will be indicated visually in the viewfinder by flashing aperture/shutter settings again as explained above.

Another is where the relationship between the exposure mode (spot/CW/ESP etc), the subject and the overall image become unaligned - this is the most common.

Finally there are situations where the correct exposure isn't related to 'mid-grey', so you need to tell the camera that.

All these are reasons to dial in EV adjustments - although a change in exposure mode might be better for the middle one.

Barrie Norman
5th September 2009, 03:25 PM
To start with try using "A" setting and dial in f/8.0 with the thumb wheel and see what results you get by using the A mode you are controling the depth of field (DOF) if you increase the "f" number the DOF will increas and the shutter speed slow down, you can increase the shutter speed by increasing the ISO value, take a series of shots adjusting the "f" number and ISO number and compare the difference, I hope this will help as a start.

mas
26th November 2009, 11:45 AM
trying out different s.speed values i ended up getting some under and overexposures and more or less randomly tried to fix it with changing the ISO...

Changing the ISO will not help, the camera will still alter the other setting to match.

What you need to get an understanding of is the exposure modes. Spot/Centre weighted and evaluative.

The camera will pretty much assume that the thing it is metering off is grey. So if you have the camera pointed at something white, the camera metering assumes it is grey and will reduce the exposure giving you an undereposed image. Similarly if you meter off something black you will end up with an overexposed image. This is where the exposure compensation comes in.

You can experiment quite easily with a couple of shhets of black paper and white paper - see the effect of the metering mode. If you go to full manual then the metering becomes just an indicator and you have control, but as long as you are using P/A/S the metering mode will have an impact on your images. Remember that you can meter off one thing, then recompose for the taking of the image - Sorry I cant remember what the options/menu settings are for this.

photo_owl
26th November 2009, 06:00 PM
she hasn't visited the site since her last post above mas...........

mas
26th November 2009, 06:43 PM
Ahh!

must read the dates on threads more carefully.:o