PDA

View Full Version : Olympus ZD ED 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 Lens

basictonal
2nd September 2009, 11:12 AM
Hi everyone

My first post on the forum - I have just recently entered the world of DSLRs after buying an e620 and am very happy with it so far.

I only have one kit lens at the mo - the 14-42mm that came with the camera.

I am looking to buy a lens with a bit more zoom but I don't really have 300+ to spend on more expensive lenses so I was eyeing up the 40-150mm F4.0-5.6.

What are peoples opinions on this for the money it costs? (cheapest I can find is 99.99 with 25 postage to northern ireland - you would think we live in space here with that sort of postage...) Should I hold out and save my money for the 70-300mm F4-5.6 which I would guess is a superior lens given the price?

I am not a super serious photographer (yet) so I guess I just want a decent lens that produces good shots - main use would be normal outdoor shots at the beach, landscapes, etc etc - 'general' use I guess you could call it.

It seems like a good lens for the money imo - I was just hoping people could share their experiences with it, good or bad!

Thanks! :D
David

p.s just realised this should be in the Telephoto section? d'oh

StephenL
2nd September 2009, 11:27 AM
I only have experience with the Mk 1 version of this lens, which is very similar.
As you appear to be a relative newcomer to DSLRs I would recommend this lens in preference to the 70-300. The longer lens needs quite a bit of taming before you get the hang of it, whilst the 40-150 is a great second lens and surprisingly versatile. Shop around for prices, though - 25 to NI sounds expensive!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!

basictonal
2nd September 2009, 11:41 AM
ok cool - sounds like the 40-150mm is the one for me at this stage, just have to shop around as you say and see if i can get that ridiculous postage reduced!

if any1 knows of any websites that sell this lens cheap let me know!

StephenL
2nd September 2009, 12:04 PM
Drop Ian Kerr (Kerso/Flash Camera) a mail. I've bought thousands of pounds worth of Oly (and Ca*on) stuff from him in the past - cheap prices and reliable. Based in Scotland.
kerso1123@msn.com

EH1
2nd September 2009, 12:13 PM
Welcome to the forum basictonal! I hope you find all the advice you need here :) By the way I would go for a secondhand Mk1 40-150mm lens from ebay! should cost you about 80 & it`s a far better lens than the later Mk2 40-150mm *yes

benvendetta
2nd September 2009, 12:14 PM
Try branches of Currys and PC World. I have seen it in these places for 79-99 in recent weeks.

HughofBardfield
2nd September 2009, 12:24 PM
Good lens for the money - and it's small and light. Only drawbacks are its relatively slow maximum aperture and the fact that the front rotates when focussing. Quality wise, the early one I had as part of an E500 2-lens kits was very good.

The only way you'll do better on price is Fleabay, I would have thought.

Another option to consider is Sigma's 55-200mm f4-5.6 (eg http://www.ukoptics.co.uk/sigma-55200mm-f456-dc-p-626.html ) which gives you a bit more reach than the Olympus, but is broadly similar for size and weight. I got one to replace the 40-150, and still have it (now used mostly on my wife's E410). Sigma's QC can be a bit variable, but all three of the Sig lenses I have are fine.

You could get a cheaper long lens by buying a "legacy" lens and adapter (ie made for 35mm), but this would be manual focus and aperture, and you may not want to go down that road yet.

basictonal
2nd September 2009, 01:04 PM
the sigma option looks pretty decent - another one worth considering i think.

also the mk1 40-150mm - is there something that doesnt work when paired to the e620, whereas it does work if you get the mk2 - is it something to do with live view or maybe the focusing?

EH1
2nd September 2009, 01:12 PM
They will both work on the e-620 with no problems! ;)

StephenL
2nd September 2009, 01:37 PM
If I recall correctly, the Mk2 is capable of using Imager AF, whereas the Mk1 can only use Hybrid and AF Sensor.

also the mk1 40-150mm - is there something that doesnt work when paired to the e620, whereas it does work if you get the mk2 - is it something to do with live view or maybe the focusing?

basictonal
2nd September 2009, 01:42 PM
ah yes thats what is was, i couldnt remember exactly. doesnt seem like such a big deal really? havent been using the live view as much as i thought anyway.

do most people agree that the mk1 40-150mm is higher quality than the mk2? i have read that opinion in a few places, maybe if i could pick up a decent 2nd hand mk1 that would be my solution.

Archphoto
2nd September 2009, 04:26 PM
Mechanicly the Mark I is better, opticaly the Mark II seems to have the edge: less color-fringing.
I have the Mark II and realy like it.
Even with close-up lenses in front it performes realy well.

Peter

basictonal
2nd September 2009, 04:48 PM
hmmm decisions decisons haha.

seems if i get a good deal on either one ill get a decent lens for the price. thanks for all the help!

photo_owl
2nd September 2009, 05:01 PM
Mechanicly the Mark I is better, opticaly the Mark II seems to have the edge: less color-fringing.
I have the Mark II and realy like it.
Even with close-up lenses in front it performes realy well.

Peter

I continue to struggle with this 'mechanically the Mk1 is better' - this seems to me to smack of 'an old mini is better mechanically than a plastic F1 car....' (extreme obviously).

I have one of the first Mk2 40-150's and it feels the same today as it did on day 1 (and that's smooth etc).

If you are going for a lens the size of the Mk1 then I would get the 70-300 every time - then slot a 50/2 in the middle in due course. Otherwise the Mk2 is a much better match to the 620 (including CDAF). Finally it's the Mk1 that rotates the front element not the Mk2 - which will of course share the same 58mm filters as the 14-42

EH1
2nd September 2009, 05:36 PM
I continue to struggle with this 'mechanically the Mk1 is better' - this seems to me to smack of 'an old mini is better mechanically than a plastic F1 car....' (extreme obviously).

I have one of the first Mk2 40-150's and it feels the same today as it did on day 1 (and that's smooth etc).

If you are going for a lens the size of the Mk1 then I would get the 70-300 every time - then slot a 50/2 in the middle in due course. Otherwise the Mk2 is a much better match to the 620 (including CDAF). Finally it's the Mk1 that rotates the front element not the Mk2 - which will of course share the same 58mm filters as the 14-42

The Mk1, Mk2 & 70-300mm all have a 58mm filter thread!

stevednp3
2nd September 2009, 06:24 PM
I'm thinking of selling my Mk2 as long as I can get 110 + P&P if anyone is interested ?

Rick
15th September 2010, 10:07 PM
Hi There , try here http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SLENSOLY40150 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150 1:40-5.6 68.00 inc postage 1 in stock so be quick, I just got a 14-42 from there.

Rick
15th September 2010, 10:45 PM
Hi There , try here http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SLENSOLY40150 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 40-150 1:40-5.6 68.00 inc postage 1 in stock so be quick, I just got a 14-42 from there.

they also do the same lens for 50 ???? but these are not in stock

if you are near croydon or wakefield it shows that these stores have them in stock they only seem to have the 50 ones in store the 68 are on line and in store

Here shows the stores addresses for the $50 lens
http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SLENOLY4015013545A

the only telephone number I can find is
0845 345 1664

OlyPaul
16th September 2010, 07:37 AM
At one point I owned both the Mk1 and latest Mk2 at the same time.

Mk1 = bigger, heavier ,metal mount and half a stop faster and does not give the best experiance with live view.

Mk2= lighter and smaller and is designed to work with live view, both have rotating front elements.

Image wise from the tests I did the Mk1 is a tad more sharper (but even thats debatable and hardly percivable). The Mk1 definatly exhibits more cromatic abberration (purple fringing) than the Mk2.

The choice is yours in the end, I gave the Mk1 to my son.:)

Alan Clogwyn
16th September 2010, 08:14 AM
Just so you know with postage, Royal Mail will charge you as if it was still mainland Btitain, but couriers will charge the same as if it was going to Europe, may be worth asking the seller to ship Royal Mail instead?

Rick
16th September 2010, 09:58 AM
they also do the same lens for 50 ???? but these are not in stock

if you are near croydon or wakefield it shows that these stores have them in stock they only seem to have the 50 ones in store the 68 are on line and in store

Here shows the stores addresses for the $50 lens
http://uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SLENOLY4015013545A

the only telephone number I can find is
0845 345 1664

I'm a muppet, of course you're in NI, do you have any family or friends near either of those town, if not either go for the slightly more expensive 1, or wait till one comes online for sale.