PDA

View Full Version : Converting E-400 to IR only... anyone know if this is poss?

theMusicMan
31st August 2009, 07:57 AM
Hi All

Just a query at present.

I have an E-400 that rarely gets used any more, as I have my E-510 as back up to my E-3. So... given that I am becoming more and more interested in landscapes, seascapes - and IR stuff, I was wondering if anyone knows of any company who might be able to convert the E-400 to an 'IR only' body. This would give me far more flexibility in as much as not having to use any IR filters, and thus I can use all my lenses and obtain shorter exposures etc.

I did discuss this on the telephone with John B a few days ago, and we thought that the sensor in the E-400 (Kodak), though prone to noise at high ISO, also produces some glorious rich colours, thus I wouldn't get my E-400 converted, alas I am reconsidering this.

So, does anyone know if this is even possible... and if so, where could I go?

Ta

peak4
31st August 2009, 10:07 AM
John, I'm getting annoyed with myself now as a small few weeks ago I found a UK website listing prices and bookmarked it, or so I thought. Can't find it anywhere now.
If you fancy the DIY approach, have a look HERE (http://forum.fourthirdsphoto.com/showthread.php?t=38298)

Let me know if you find somewhere as I was going through the same thought process re. the E-500.

Jens Birch as also written some good stuff about it if you do a search around the same site as the above link.

Shaw
31st August 2009, 10:55 AM
Hi All

Just a query at present.

I have an E-400 that rarely gets used any more, as I have my E-510 as back up to my E-3. So... given that I am becoming more and more interested in landscapes, seascapes - and IR stuff, I was wondering if anyone knows of any company who might be able to convert the E-400 to an 'IR only' body. This would give me far more flexibility in as much as not having to use any IR filters, and thus I can use all my lenses and obtain shorter exposures etc.

I did discuss this on the telephone with John B a few days ago, and we thought that the sensor in the E-400 (Kodak), though prone to noise at high ISO, also produces some glorious rich colours, thus I wouldn't get my E-400 converted, alas I am reconsidering this.

So, does anyone know if this is even possible... and if so, where could I go?

Ta

try this company in UK.
http://www.advancedcameraservices.co.uk/index.html

Regards

Stewart