PDA

View Full Version : 21st Challenge "Motion"

dbutch
30th August 2009, 12:12 PM
The theme for the current e-group challenge is - Motion

Fast, Slow, Sickness! up to you - I look forward to seeing your ideas

Quick check list: Up to 800 pixels wide or high. Up to 512Kbytes. EXIF intact please. Taken by yourself on an E-series camera between Sunday 30th August 2009 through Friday 18th Sept 2009 inclusive. Please include your name, your forum moniker and a title for the picture.

However, these are the rules in full;

1. Photos should be taken (dated in EXIF) between - Sunday 30th August2009 - and Friday 18th Sept 2009 inclusive (almost 3 weeks) and sent in during that period. Photos will be posted in the gallery on Saturday 15th September 2009 and we will vote in the next two weeks after this, voting will be completed by midnight Friday 2nd Oct. I will announce the winner on Saturday 3rd Oct.

2. You must be the photographer who created the picture in order to enter the challenge, and all entries must be visibly anonymous and should be sent to the challenge organiser. You must indicate (a) your real name, (b) your e-group forum name and (c) a title for your photo, in the email. Any entries that are not clearly identifiable and verifiable won't be entered into the challenge.

3. Entries to the challenge :-

Should contain no watermarks, distinguishing effects and no borders
Must be jpg format and no more than 800 px on the longest edge
Must have been taken on an Olympus E-Series camera
Must have all EXIF data included for the organiser to verify.
Max file size to suit the gallery here is 512kb.
4. You need to be registered on e-group.uk.net forums to qualify for entry into the challenge. The organiser may also enter the challenge (the entries are anonymous and the organiser is trusted to record votes accurately).

5. Only one entry permitted per challenge please. But if you want to withdraw an entry or replace it with another that's OK, you must make it clear in an email to the challenge organiser before the closing date, also ensure the email contains clear instructions and (if required) your replacement picture.

6. Voting on the challenge:-

Any registered member of the e-group forum may vote, including those who submit entries.
Those who submit entries may vote for their own photo but are expected to allot their choices fairly on perceived merit.
Voters should list their three choices in order of preference, by display number and title to avoid confusion.
Points will be allotted as follows: three to first choice, two to second choice, one to third choice.

Please email me with the image attached - dave_butcher@ntlworld.com - however please include the words Olympus Challenge in the title line so I can sort the pictures from the spam :-)

theMusicMan
30th August 2009, 12:55 PM
Fabulous theme for this challenge Dave, excellent choice. Now to get our thinking hats on eh!

dbutch
3rd September 2009, 03:29 PM
Don't forget to get out and about and take some motion shots this weekend

Here's one from a few weeks back that doesn't qualify

Fast dog

Dave

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/dog.jpg

theMusicMan
9th September 2009, 07:54 PM
OK, with the flurry of activity re the recent egroup meetings I guess we now need to focus once again on Daves latest egroup challenge... "Motion".

So get your thinking caps on and get those images submitted folks, just over a week to go!.

knikki
12th September 2009, 11:50 AM
Taken at Oulton Park Gold Cup meeting

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2542/3888318360_35714a928e.jpg

dbutch
12th September 2009, 07:34 PM
Nice capture Knikki

Hope your entering the comp

talepictures.com
13th September 2009, 06:58 AM
Well look what we have here. The exact topic I am currently working on for an exhibition in January. A question, are HDR images allowed?

If so I'll see if there's anything I'd like to show, from my project, during this period.

Cheers

theMusicMan
13th September 2009, 07:19 AM
Sure, that's allowed - just have a quick read of the basic rules and send your shot this month to Dave (email addy in 1st post). It's an anonymous challenge so don't give any more away eh ;)

Trausti Hraunfjord
13th September 2009, 09:22 AM
I am so sorry to report that this challenge simply isn't moving anything in my imaginary field of view. I would like to contribute to every challenge with at least an ATTEMPT of an entry, but until now I haven't had much time to go out or to play around at home.

Motion... that's a very broad and neutral category, so the only limitation is really my own mind's eye this time around.

I better get my thinking cap on.... and how about the REMINDER BANNER in the top of the page? Why is that not activated this time? It was activated during the last challenge, and as I understand it, the last challenge with 15 entries, was the best "score" of entries in a long time.

I would like to see the "reminder banner" in action... so that I won't forget... without a reason.

theMusicMan
13th September 2009, 09:30 AM
I better get my thinking cap on.... and how about the REMINDER BANNER in the top of the page? Why is that not activated this time? It was activated during the last challenge, and as I understand it, the last challenge with 15 entries, was the best "score" of entries in a long time.

I would like to see the "reminder banner" in action... so that I won't forget... without a reason.It should be there for you Trausti? Do you not see it...? I placed it there early this morning.

Trausti Hraunfjord
13th September 2009, 09:48 AM
I can see this:

Photo challenges Meet the challenge of posting your photos in fun competitions set by e-group users, or set one yourself!

If that's it, I probably need it like a massive slap in the face with over sized capital letters and the like.

Maybe I am just getting nervous of not having seen "THE" shot to deliver. Honestly, I want to show my interest in this group of great photographers, by participating in the challenges, even when I know that my contributions can only serve as distractions from the real stuff. I don't expect to win anything, I don't expect to be amongst the best... but I expect myself to at least participate. That is the least one can do.

If I fail to deliver this time, I will be very disappointed in myself.

Everyone else... ( I know that on average there are around 120 visitors every day)... take a shot of whatever you encounter during the day, that might qualify for "motion".... contribute, and show your appreciation for this site. Anyone can do that.... except me right now.

theMusicMan
13th September 2009, 09:52 AM
Do you not see this Trausti...?

http://img.skitch.com/20090913-b43rmkscmwt25e9n6b73iirbax.jpg

Does anyone see this...?

Trausti Hraunfjord
13th September 2009, 10:10 AM
Nope, no sign of that at all :(

Something is not doing what it should...

theMusicMan
13th September 2009, 10:14 AM
Now Trausti...? I set it to 'Non dismissible' which means you won't be able to turn it off - just in case you had done this previously and the notice wouldn't then show again.

Trausti Hraunfjord
13th September 2009, 11:59 AM
NOW it is getting visible.

Hi Trausti Hraunfjord - the 21st e-group challenge is underway, the theme for this current month is Motion and you can check the details here.

Closing date for this challenge is Friday 18th Sept so you have only a few more days to get your entry in.

That's more like it.... and I like it.
Spam that works :) ... or whatever the spammers say :)

Seriously though... it DID help me the last time to provide an entry and to be interested in the challenge, even when I knew that my contribution had no way in hell to win over the professionals.

But at least I did participate, and that is what counts!

theMusicMan
13th September 2009, 03:50 PM
Super - glad it is working again then.

dbutch
15th September 2009, 11:50 AM
Entries are rolling in, don't be to late

Remember please check your file for its EXIF data before you send

Cheers*chr

Dave

gregles
15th September 2009, 10:11 PM
Acch I know there are hundreds of others out there like me who would love to know but are too frightened to ask - but how do you find the exif data? :confused:

Nick Temple-Fry
15th September 2009, 11:33 PM
Acch I know there are hundreds of others out there like me who would love to know but are too frightened to ask - but how do you find the exif data? :confused:

Well it should be on the photo - so open in Windows - right click - properties - advanced (should tell you the camera fnumber etc) (varies a bit according to windows viewer).

But there are a number of ways you can lose the data in processing according to the tools you use. If it isn't on the final image then post how you got to the image and someone will know which tool lost the exif and what option you should have used.

There is a simple (and very obvious) frig to put the exif back, but it can only be used by the honest and pure at heart.

Nick

gregles
15th September 2009, 11:50 PM
Thanks Nick. Found it in the summary window of the properties under the advanced tab*chr

Many thanks:)

dbutch
16th September 2009, 09:48 AM
You beat me to it Nick:)

Good question Greg, and glad Nick gave you the answer

Although interestingly one of the competition entries I have received shows all the info fine and correct under windows properties but I normally check 1st in my image viewer of choice FastStone and this shows none! also when the file is opened in Photoshop shows none!

I am concerned that when I upload it to the site the EXIF will be missing

Has anyone got any thoughts on this

Dave

theMusicMan
16th September 2009, 10:21 AM
Hi Dave

As long as you are happy, as the challenge manager, that the EXIF has been supplied with the image when it was initially sent to you - then you don't need to worry about it showing on the final image you place on the thread.

I don't think I added the EXIF to the images I uploaded for the last challenge, but I was 100% satisfied with the EXIF on all the submissions.

Hope that explains things for you. Shout if need be, happy to explain further.

dbutch
18th September 2009, 07:13 AM
Today the day to get those final entries in

So get a move on, speed up, rush around and anything else to do with motion

Already have had a good number in

Cheers*chr

Dave

talepictures.com
18th September 2009, 06:15 PM
Sorry guys. Didn't get the chance to submit an entry :(

Will look forward to seeing the submissions.

dbutch
18th September 2009, 07:46 PM
Yo have till midnight ;)