PDA

View Full Version : 70-300 has landed!

Yorkie
16th November 2007, 01:24 PM
Hi All,

I have just ben out of the office to pick up my new Oly 70-300 lens, unfortunatally I have not been able to shoot with it yet.

Roll on the weekend!

Ian
16th November 2007, 04:47 PM
Hi All,

I have just ben out of the office to pick up my new Oly 70-300 lens, unfortunatally I have not been able to shoot with it yet.

Roll on the weekend!

Well, I hope the sunny weather in Hertfordshire today blesses you over the weekend!

Ian

Barr1e
16th November 2007, 07:03 PM
Yorkie -

Well I have not had my telephone call!!!!

Disgusted.:D

emirpprime
16th November 2007, 09:08 PM
Don't keep us in suspense too long! I think Saturday lunch time is reasonable. By then you should be able to knock up a short review and sample shots for our perusal ;)

But seriously, looking forward to hearing/seeing what you think of it.

Phil

Ijay37
19th November 2007, 08:50 PM
Ordered mine today at Wilkinson cameras, Burnley, picking it up tommorrow weather in east Lancs. is horrible at the moment.Wilkinson Cameras have several shops in the North West and they told me they have several in their warehouse.
John

Ian
19th November 2007, 08:53 PM
Ordered mine today at Wilkinson cameras, Burnley, picking it up tommorrow weather in east Lancs. is horrible at the moment.Wilkinson Cameras have several shops in the North West and they told me they have several in their warehouse.
John

Good news John, do let us know how you get on with it of course!

Ian

PS Please remember the 70-300 isn't splash-proofed like some of the the other ZD lenses!

John R
20th November 2007, 09:39 PM
Just ordered mine from Jessops - they are doing 10% off all lenses and free delivery (£269).

Hope it comes soon!!!

Let me know how you get on though - interested to see how it performs.

Ian
20th November 2007, 09:59 PM
Just ordered mine from Jessops - they are doing 10% off all lenses and free delivery (£269).

Hope it comes soon!!!

Let me know how you get on though - interested to see how it performs.

There are a couple of people reporting on their new 70-300 lenses over at Four Thirds User (sibling independent site to this one). See:

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=952

http://www.fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=939

Ian

Stephen
23rd November 2007, 03:19 PM
Pleased to hear some one has managed to get a 70-300, I was begining to think it was a figment of someones imagination! this lens was anounced in March as "soon to be available", then it went to Sept at which point I emailed Olympus UK who told me the lens "would be available in Oct and the 2x tele con in Nov but we can't tell you the prices yet"? So I pre ordered at Parks , now, after speaking with Parks, just 5min ago they tell me it has been put back again for some reason, but they hope to have some by the end of this month, does anyone else think this is poor to say the least! what are Olympus playing at? well if its not in my hands by the end of the month I'll have some Olympus gear for sale:mad:

Barr1e
23rd November 2007, 05:08 PM
Pleased to hear some one has managed to get a 70-300, I was begining to think it was a figment of someones imagination! this lens was anounced in March as "soon to be available", then it went to Sept at which point I emailed Olympus UK who told me the lens "would be available in Oct and the 2x tele con in Nov but we can't tell you the prices yet"? So I pre ordered at Parks , now, after speaking with Parks, just 5min ago they tell me it has been put back again for some reason, but they hope to have some by the end of this month, does anyone else think this is poor to say the least! what are Olympus playing at? well if its not in my hands by the end of the month I'll have some Olympus gear for sale:mad:

Hi Stephen -

Had I put my order in a little more early than I did it would have been on the camera at least a week ago. I think it is the same as trying to buy a car which has been announced and being a lttle too slow to get to the front of the queue to order one. They are around - perhaps your supplier didn't order sufficient stock to cater for the demand, I think that is what happened at mine. Of course perhaps the manufacturer could only get a limited amount on the boat. A little bit of a long winded answer but happy clicking when you get your hands on one. I'm sure we will all look forward to seeing some pix in your gallery.

Kind regards. Barr1e

Glyn R
28th November 2007, 05:00 PM
I am waiting for my 70-300 from Jacobs. Their low price and online discount got it down to £252. Delivery was quoted as 7days, at this price I will wait a while before I become impatient.

Stephen
28th November 2007, 07:55 PM
Hi Glyn,
found out this afternoon that Parks had my pre-order down as delivered so got no lens, and they have no stock left, good job parks is not local, so looks like I'll be joining your queue at Jacobs, alas I am not the most paitient man, thanks for the nod, £50 cheaper than Parks, but I don't hold out much hope of getting one before 2008 if past delivery estimates are anything to go by.

Steve

Ijay37
28th November 2007, 09:09 PM
Hi all It looks like if it is in stock you pay £299, if it is out of stock you can wait for £250-270. Good luck to those who wait.
Regards John

Glyn R
29th November 2007, 02:07 PM
Looks like Stephens post has been deleted. Are we afraid of upsetting Olympus?

Ian
29th November 2007, 02:52 PM
Looks like Stephens post has been deleted. Are we afraid of upsetting Olympus?

It contained inappropriate comments. This site is not anti-complaining about Olympus if Olympus get it wrong, but I won't having insults of a personal nature on this forum. I have corresponded with Stephen about it and it's now water under the bridge.

Many of you have noted how good natured this place is - I want to keep it that way.

Ian

Ijay37
29th November 2007, 03:58 PM
Hi I would like to assure Stephen that I was not having a dig at him, but rather at some retailers tactics in offering a lower price when they havn't got the item in stock. Nor do they know when, and I wish all those who have the lens on back order a speedy delivery

Ian
29th November 2007, 04:03 PM
Hi I would like to assure Stephen that I was not having a dig at him, but rather at some retailers tactics in offering a lower price when they havn't got the item in stock. Nor do they know when, and I wish all those who have the lens on back order a speedy delivery

Indeed, I didn't sense that you were having a dig either. Unfortunately without the benefit of body language on the Net, misunderstandings can easily happen, which is all the more reason for being extra careful when reacting to a post that you initially think is below the belt. :rolleyes:

Ian

Yorkie
30th November 2007, 12:19 PM
York Camers Mart have stock & they provide good service. Recomended.

18 Church St
York, YO1 8BE
01904 642491

tom
30th November 2007, 04:25 PM
You're such a tease;) I tried the York Camera Mart website and the only Olympus telephoto they have is the 18-180mm. I'm sure it's a lovely lens, but I was really after the rare and mysterious 70-300mm. Judging by your name you are perhaps a local, so if you see one in their shop window when you are passsing by, please let us all know!

Tom

Glyn R
30th November 2007, 04:47 PM
Me too! There seems to be a world shortage of this lens.:(

Yorkie
30th November 2007, 07:59 PM
Hi All,

Walked past the shop at 16:30 on Friday 30th Nov and they had one in the window. Sugest you give them a call!

Stephen
30th November 2007, 09:56 PM
Hi Glyn R,
It just gets worse! Park Cameras contacted me late Thur evening saying that they were very sorry for there mistake, and had recived another delivery of the lens that day, and by way of an apology they would send me a lens, with free delivery and a free lens cloth. saying it would be with me today (Fri) I explained that there would be no one home to take Delivery, I work 7.00am to 7.00pm, "no problem will get delivered to your place of work" brilliant so I thought, as nothing as arrived at work, checked on city link web site for package history "16.40 Delivery point closed" (its a power station open 24 / 7 365 days a year) 18.40 "goods returned to branch" rescheduled delivery date Mon 3rd Dec, I'm not at work monday and on holiday for a week on Tues, hence the urgency for the lens! so thought I would phone the collect from branch option, hoping to nip off work for half an hour tomorrow, got an automated BT message this number is out of service! ARGGGGGGGG, and some wonder why I'm a bit sensitive, wish I'd took up painting

emirpprime
30th November 2007, 10:43 PM
I'd try taking it up with Park, thay should have more clout and contact info for City Link. I have had trouble with them in the past, where they "delivered" my parcel, only they didnt. Mystery signature not matching anyone on our road... Luckily the company shipped a repeat order to me (printed postcards, 1000 of them!), I heard they started using Business Post instead shortly after... I think it wasn;t teh only problem they had had.
Hope you get it delivered in time!
All the best,
Phil

Ian
1st December 2007, 11:28 AM
Hi Glyn R,
It just gets worse! Park Cameras contacted me late Thur evening saying that they were very sorry for there mistake, and had recived another delivery of the lens that day, and by way of an apology they would send me a lens, with free delivery and a free lens cloth. saying it would be with me today (Fri) I explained that there would be no one home to take Delivery, I work 7.00am to 7.00pm, "no problem will get delivered to your place of work" brilliant so I thought, as nothing as arrived at work, checked on city link web site for package history "16.40 Delivery point closed" (its a power station open 24 / 7 365 days a year) 18.40 "goods returned to branch" rescheduled delivery date Mon 3rd Dec, I'm not at work monday and on holiday for a week on Tues, hence the urgency for the lens! so thought I would phone the collect from branch option, hoping to nip off work for half an hour tomorrow, got an automated BT message this number is out of service! ARGGGGGGGG, and some wonder why I'm a bit sensitive, wish I'd took up painting

Oh dear - alas I have had several similar experiences. I have gear delivered by courier to me all the time and the frequency of non-deliveries for all sorts of reasons, including shipments disappearing for ever, is just amazing.

I'm sure we all have our fingers crossed on your behalf, Stephen!

Ian

Stephen
1st December 2007, 08:07 PM
Hi Ian,
Got It !!!!! I would sooner go to a High street shop, to see, touch and buy to take home that day but we are sadly lacking anywhere locally, but I did manage to pick up a warning for speeding from the local bobies after collecting the lens and dashing back to work, do I really dare take this lens on an aircraft!:eek:

PeterD
1st December 2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Ian,
Got It !!!!! I would sooner go to a High street shop, to see, touch and buy to take home that day but we are sadly lacking anywhere locally, but I did manage to pick up a warning for speeding from the local bobies after collecting the lens and dashing back to work, do I really dare take this lens on an aircraft!:eek:

Well done. Glad you got it. I can understand that, in your dash back to work you hadn't spotted that the police were already out on a photo shoot. Glad it was only a warning though.

Regards

PeterD

emirpprime
1st December 2007, 10:06 PM
Reminds me of the items in the news about Target stores in the US, as well as Best Buy I think it was, where they sold "iPods" that were actually sealed boxes containing rocks or appropraite weight! Apparently it happens when the couriers tamper and re-shrinkwrap the items. This happened to one unlucky woman twice in a row! She travelled to another store after it happening at one Target, and wasn't allowed to pen to chec before purchasing the second due to store policy, on opening in the shop post till she found rocks again! talk about bad luck.
Phil

Napper
4th December 2007, 01:38 AM
I picked mine up from LCE Norwich on Thursday. I had ordered it at the Olympus event there the other week, it seems that this area has been quite well supplied as there were a good number of people on the waiting list and the shop reckon that they have supplied everyone who was on that list.
I had a bit of spare time (well I made it really) to give it a quick go at Whitlingham Lake a local nature reserve/sports facility. Here are some of the results not to bad especially as it was really windy at the time.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/529/PB295765small.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/886)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/529/PB295761small.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/884)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/529/PB295754small.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/880)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/529/PB295760small.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/882)

Hope you like them!

PeterD
4th December 2007, 05:38 AM
Very good. They certainly demonstrate the need for long lenses for this type of shoot. My longest lens at present is the Zuiko 40-150 Kit lens supplied with my E500 last year. Its certainly o me thinking.......

Thanks for sharing your images.

PeterD

emirpprime
4th December 2007, 07:49 AM
Nice images :) Whitlingham has always been a great spot for birds, you get good backgrounds.
All the best,
Phil

Barr1e
4th December 2007, 08:27 AM
Very good images - you must be pleased with the results your new lens is giving.

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e
4th December 2007, 04:12 PM
Hi -

We collect our 70-300 lens tomorrow along with the EC-14 tele converter. The converter has to be wrapped up for a Christmas gift:cool:

At least we should get a few pix under our belts with the new lens.;)

Regards. Barr1e

j.baker
4th December 2007, 04:20 PM
My wife purchased my 70-300 as a present. I have managed to convice her that I need to test it before she wraps it up.

I was thinking of getting the EC-20 to go with the lens. What the thoughts?

R MacE
4th December 2007, 04:42 PM
The EC-2.0 would make it 140 - 600mm f/8 - f/11. I don't think thats going to work to be honest, it'll be extremely slow.

Jim
4th December 2007, 06:35 PM
I too think the 1.4x would be plenty for the slightly slower olympus lenses. and the 2x would struggle.

j.baker
4th December 2007, 07:03 PM
I think that I probably should have purchased the Sigma 400mm instead of the 300mm Olympus.

Oh well, the wife will probably use it :-)

Jim
4th December 2007, 07:06 PM
I think that I probably should have purchased the Sigma 400mm instead of the 300mm Olympus.

John, you could always exchange it ;)

R MacE
4th December 2007, 09:46 PM

Don't be too hasty though, you could combine the 70-300 with the EC-1.4 which would give you 98-420 F/5.6-7.8. It's one stop slower than the Sigma but the range is better and from what I've read the Sigma needs to be stopped down for sharpness anyway.

I think I've calculated that correctly :)

j.baker
4th December 2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks for the info. I have already purchased an ec-20 for 300 quid. I puck it up on Monday (hopefully).

I will post some iamges of the 70-300 and the ec-20.

I will try to save up for the sigma 500mm next year (probably this time next year!)

R MacE
4th December 2007, 10:10 PM
Hi John,

I'd be very interested to see the results.

Richard

theMusicMan
4th December 2007, 11:44 PM
I have just ordered the 70-300 too and would be very interested in seeing some results from this lens.

Anyone have some they can post as examples...?

R MacE
4th December 2007, 11:53 PM
I have 2 shots taken at a demo day, nothing special just test shots. Taken wide open, Handheld on my E-3. They are direct from Raw with no PP.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2196/2068674691_8b64e803c9_b.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2126/2069468376_9a16793429_b.jpg

theMusicMan
5th December 2007, 12:09 AM
And very nice they are too, very sharp and clear. Thanks for posting these so promptly, cheers.

Yorkie
5th December 2007, 08:42 AM
These are taken with the 70-300 lens in a veriaty of conditions.

Ships Rudder cropped but nothing else:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/thumbs/-.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=907)

Harry playing, no PP work:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Harry_1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=788)

Boat Hull, No PP work though it should realy be cropped and saturated a bit:
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Boat_2_2007.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=786)

theMusicMan
5th December 2007, 09:13 AM
Images look very clear, thanks for posting. Very much looking forward to this now.

j.baker
5th December 2007, 11:30 AM
Well the 70-300 lens arrived. Its a bit of a big beast, when used with the lens hood.

Now all I need is some good weather and subject matter.

Jim
5th December 2007, 11:34 AM
It is a beautiful day here in Aberdeenshire John :)

j.baker
5th December 2007, 11:36 AM
I bet you dont get the chance to say that very often :-)

Jim
5th December 2007, 11:40 AM
Touchet, John! A rare occurance indeed. :)

Barr1e
5th December 2007, 06:29 PM
Hi -

We collected our 70-300 lens today. When screwing/fitting the lens to the camera it is pretty tight - is yours the same? It may of course be metal to metal - and although the lens won't be on and off often (unless conditions favour its use) I don't want to damage our E510's.

Thanks in advance.

Regards. Barr1e

j.baker
5th December 2007, 06:43 PM
It was not what I would call tight. The sigma 55-200 lens is a much tighter fit, which is also metal.

I am slightly disappointed with the lens, and I do not like the fact that the front part of the lens rotates as you focus. The focusing motor is also very noisy when compared to my other lenses.

BTW, the sigma 55-200 and the oly 70-300 4/3rds end look very similar. I know it says Olympus on the side, but it feels like a Sigma lens.

I managed to take a very well focused 300mm shot this afternoon. The subject matter is boring, my neighbours TV antenna on their roof, but I can always see it from my home office.

theMusicMan
5th December 2007, 07:13 PM
Hmmm, I am hoping I have made the right decision about this lens.

j.baker
5th December 2007, 07:32 PM
Here is a very bad image that I took this morning.

http://www.ilikeit.co.uk/animals/other/index.php

To give it some scale, the tree is at the bottom of my garden, which is about 20-25M from where I took the image. The bird was about 8M up in the tree

It was very windy and I was using the camera without a tripod (E-510), also the bird was alive and therefor it moved slightly. ;-)

Barr1e
5th December 2007, 07:48 PM
It was not what I would call tight. The sigma 55-200 lens is a much tighter fit, which is also metal.

I am slightly disappointed with the lens, and I do not like the fact that the front part of the lens rotates as you focus. The focusing motor is also very noisy when compared to my other lenses.

BTW, the sigma 55-200 and the oly 70-300 4/3rds end look very similar. I know it says Olympus on the side, but it feels like a Sigma lens.

I managed to take a very well focused 300mm shot this afternoon. The subject matter is boring, my neighbours TV antenna on their roof, but I can always see it from my home office.

Thanks for that John.

As for the noise and lens rotating I did not notice that as I have only fired the camera once with the lens in situ. If I get time tomorrow (I have a busy schedule) I'll try it out and report back.

It is pleasing how well made and balanced it is. With the lens cap on it looks a a beast for its size. [Edit: Sorry John you have already said that.]

Regards. Barr1e

j.baker
5th December 2007, 08:22 PM
I thought about putting the 70-300 + lens cap on the wife’s E400, but then I thought it would look silly.

The wife was surprised on how big the lens was....she complimented me on its size. :p

It will be even bigger when the ec-20 arrives.

["Sorry John you have already said that."] Barr1e, hey there nothing stopping us agreeing....we are adults. (Although my wife would disagree)

Ian
5th December 2007, 09:31 PM
I thought about putting the 70-300 + lens cap on the wife’s E400, but then I thought it would look silly.

The wife was surprised on how big the lens was....she complimented me on its size. :p

It will be even bigger when the ec-20 arrives.

["Sorry John you have already said that."] Barr1e, hey there nothing stopping us agreeing....we are adults. (Although my wife would disagree)

How about this:

http://dpnow.com/PHPcode/bigpic.php?filenum=10&articlenum=3782&namebody=E410&lastfile=&subpage=

Or

http://dpnow.com/PHPcode/bigpic.php?filenum=09&articlenum=3782&namebody=E410&lastfile=&subpage=

Ian

Barr1e
5th December 2007, 09:38 PM
How about this:

http://dpnow.com/PHPcode/bigpic.php?filenum=10&articlenum=3782&namebody=E410&lastfile=&subpage=

Or

http://dpnow.com/PHPcode/bigpic.php?filenum=09&articlenum=3782&namebody=E410&lastfile=&subpage=

Ian

Hi Ian -

Now that is big.

Regards. Barr1e

R MacE
5th December 2007, 09:47 PM
Hmmm, I am hoping I have made the right decision about this lens.

I guess it's all relative, I was surprised at how light it was although I normally use a 50-200.

R MacE
5th December 2007, 09:50 PM
Hi Ian -

Now that is big.

Regards. Barr1e

I've tried that combination myself, I didn't see any problem to be honest even hand held. It's certainly no different to an OM with a 300mm f/4.5.

I can see an E-410 in my future.

veggiesosage
5th December 2007, 10:15 PM
There were rumours about it being a re-badged Sigma lens. And it is a bit old hat for the front element to rotate during focusing.

I've seen a few samples from this lens on the net and I have to say its not as super sharp as I would have expected from a Zuiko. It doesn't seem as sharp as the old 40-150 and seems about the same as my Sigma 135-400. I don't know if those of you who've got it in your hot sticky little hands think thats a fair assessment.

I was having a bit of a worry that I may have been better waiting for the 70-300mm but I reckon I've done alright after all.

j.baker
5th December 2007, 10:16 PM
How about this:

Or

Ian

I would really like the 7-14mm, but there is no way the wife would let me spend that kind of money on a lens. Especially as I will have spend an awful lot this month.

j.baker
5th December 2007, 10:22 PM
There were rumours about it being a re-badged Sigma lens. And it is a bit old hat for the front element to rotate during focusing.

I've seen a few samples from this lens on the net and I have to say its not as super sharp as I would have expected from a Zuiko. It doesn't seem as sharp as the old 40-150 and seems about the same as my Sigma 135-400. I don't know if those of you who've got it in your hot sticky little hands think thats a fair assessment.

I was having a bit of a worry that I may have been better waiting for the 70-300mm but I reckon I've done alright after all.

I will write a small article comparing the 40-150 with an ec-20 and the 70-300 in a week or so. I will setup a tripod and have all lenses target the same object with minimum and maximum focal lengths. I will photograph something I will put at the bottom of my garden. Anyone have any suggestions for the subject matter?

R MacE
5th December 2007, 11:10 PM
I would suggest a magazine front cover or similar, something with text. Set the camera up to fill the frame with each lens set-up by moving the camera closer or further away from the target.

theMusicMan
5th December 2007, 11:40 PM
I will write a small article comparing the 40-150 with an ec-20 and the 70-300 in a week or so. I will setup a tripod and have all lenses target the same object with minimum and maximum focal lengths. I will photograph something I will put at the bottom of my garden. Anyone have any suggestions for the subject matter?
That would be very nice of you and very useful too, thanks very much for offering to do this. I for one will take note of your opinion.

PeterD
6th December 2007, 09:35 AM
That would be very nice of you and very useful too, thanks very much for offering to do this. I for one will take note of your opinion.

I too would be interested in your results. Thanks for taking the trouble as I am considering purchasing a new telephoto lens. If I can make use with what I have + EC2 then this may be a good solution.

PeterD

tom
6th December 2007, 08:29 PM
Of those that haven't now decided against buying the 70-300, I'm probably the last to actually get one. But in case there's still the odd straggler like me left, it may be helpful to know that they're suddenly starting to spring up everywhere. It may not quite be the cheapest, but Jacobs £259.99 isn't too bad. Mind you, the least expensive postage they offer is £8.00, and that method uses the slow boat from China. But hey - we've been waiting for yonks already - so what's another few days (weeks?:rolleyes:).
Tom

Napper
8th December 2007, 04:01 AM
There were rumors about it being a re-badged Sigma lens. And it is a bit old hat for the front element to rotate during focusing.

Hi veggiesosage I don't know about the possibility of this being a rebadged Sigma lens, but my dealings with Olympus and their general company policies leads me to doubt if they would do so.

I can't agree with you about the sharpness I would say that it is easily as sharp as the new 40-150 Lens, which as far as I'm aware is as good as, if not better than the old one. This pic isn't perfect but certainly I Think the sharpness is fine.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/529/PB295761small.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/884)

Certainly I feel that the 70 -300 will prove to be a good lens and certainly is a welcome addition to the Zuiko range. It will be interesting to see the results between using the EC2 converter with the 40-150 lens and the 70-300

theMusicMan
8th December 2007, 10:40 AM
Hi Napper - I agree with you, the sharpness of that image is certainly nothing to be concerned about. Can you let us see the EXIF please...?

j.baker
8th December 2007, 11:29 AM
I have taken some more images using the 70-300mm

The full size unmodified and generally awful images are at:

http://www.ilikeit.co.uk/olympus/

I was in north Wales over the last few days and I was trying to take some photos of Anglesey. Unfortunately the weather was awful. My dad thought that the lighthouse that I was trying to photograph was about 5 miles away.

Glyn R
8th December 2007, 11:31 AM
Of those that haven't now decided against buying the 70-300, I'm probably the last to actually get one. But in case there's still the odd straggler like me left, it may be helpful to know that they're suddenly starting to spring up everywhere. It may not quite be the cheapest, but Jacobs £259.99 isn't too bad. Mind you, the least expensive postage they offer is £8.00, and that method uses the slow boat from China. But hey - we've been waiting for yonks already - so what's another few days (weeks?:rolleyes:).
Tom

I ordered mine from Jacobs 10 days ago for £252 delivered with online discount. It seems they put this on at the weekend. It arrived after 7 days. I spoke to Jacobs who said they had shipped 30 lenses and the next shipment should fulfil back orders including mine. So maybe you won't have a wait after all. I am full of praise for the service and pricing.:D

Glyn R
8th December 2007, 11:36 AM
I have taken some more images using the 70-300mm

The full size unmodified and generally awful images are at:

I was in north Wales over the last few days and I was trying to take some photos of Anglesey. Unfortunately the weather was awful. My dad thought that the lighthouse that I was trying to photograph was about 5 miles away.

Sorry I have to agree about the weather and the images, hardly a fair test.:) Also I wonder why you are using Adobe RGB ?

j.baker
8th December 2007, 01:35 PM
I have updated my site, and added some sigma 55-200 images of the same lighthouse taken back in October.

Even with the weather differences, the 70-300mm has a lot more detail when compared to the sigma 55-200. But given the price of the 55-200, it is not too bad.

Regarding the adobe RGB space, I read somewhere that if possible use the adobe RGB instead of sRGB as it is better. Opinions are welcome.

tom
8th December 2007, 02:23 PM
I ordered mine from Jacobs 10 days ago for £252 delivered with online discount. It seems they put this on at the weekend. It arrived after 7 days. I spoke to Jacobs who said they had shipped 30 lenses and the next shipment should fulfil back orders including mine. So maybe you won't have a wait after all. I am full of praise for the service and pricing.:D

Glyn
Funnily enough, Jacobs have just told me that mine is now on back order (in spite of the website claiming it was 'in stock' and they can't say when it will come (it seems the slow boat from China hasn't even been launched yet). So...I've bailed out and gone with Dixons - £249.99 plus a fiver for delivery. The price is dropping all the time but the lens remains a figment of my imagination! By the time I finally get one they'll be giving them away free with E3s. (...and then I woke up:rolleyes:)
Tom

Barr1e
8th December 2007, 04:15 PM
Anne and I went out today to test our new 70-300 lens. The weather was atrocious - high winds, poor light and driving rain so I had to take them through the open car window. I wanted to see how it coped with the lighting and what degree of sharpness could be obtained. Both pix were taken in jpeg and run through Neat Image - the only other pp was a small amount of shadow/highlight/midtone-rotate a little, crop and prepare for web (800X640).

I would be pleased to learn what you think.

70mm
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/WM-1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1013)

300mm
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/WM-2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1014)

Regards. Barr1e

Glyn R
8th December 2007, 05:10 PM
I have updated my site, and added some sigma 55-200 images of the same lighthouse taken back in October.

Even with the weather differences, the 70-300mm has a lot more detail when compared to the sigma 55-200. But given the price of the 55-200, it is not too bad.

Regarding the adobe RGB space, I read somewhere that if possible use the adobe RGB instead of sRGB as it is better. Opinions are welcome.

Your pictures will look better on screen is you use sRGB. Adobe is designed to be used for printing. Most photo processors will expect sRGB. Take a vote I think you will find almost everyone here uses sRGB. You can tell from the file number P=sRGB . _=Adobe.

Glyn R
8th December 2007, 05:12 PM
Glyn
Funnily enough, Jacobs have just told me that mine is now on back order (in spite of the website claiming it was 'in stock' and they can't say when it will come (it seems the slow boat from China hasn't even been launched yet). So...I've bailed out and gone with Dixons - £249.99 plus a fiver for delivery. The price is dropping all the time but the lens remains a figment of my imagination! By the time I finally get one they'll be giving them away free with E3s. (...and then I woke up:rolleyes:)
Tom

I can only speak from experience. I am using mine this afternoon.:confused:

tom
8th December 2007, 08:07 PM
Anne and I went out today to test our new 70-300 lens. The weather was atrocious - high winds, poor light and driving rain so I had to take them through the open car window. I wanted to see how it coped with the lighting and what degree of sharpness could be obtained. Both pix were taken in jpeg and run through Neat Image - the only other pp was a small amount of shadow/highlight/midtone-rotate a little, crop and prepare for web (800X640).

I would be pleased to learn what you think.

70mm
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/WM-1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1013)

300mm
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/WM-2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=1014)

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e

Hmmm - very interesting. Judging by the design I would say the windmill is rather ancient - probably dating from the early decades of the 17th century. And because of the massive timbers involved - particularly the wheel-mounted tail-pole - turning it to face the wind would have been quite a task. Because of this, I expect it will have had its fair share of gale-induced traumas over the years.
Only joking...! The pics are really not bad at all considering the conditions. The colours are very muted but that merely reflects the sort of day it was today. Although it is a bit hard to judge exactly, they look pretty sharp too - and if mine ever finally turns up I'll be happy if it performs as well.
Also - you both need either (a) a medal for going outside in such weather, or (b) certifying :)

Tom

j.baker
8th December 2007, 09:14 PM
where was the photo taken?

Barr1e
8th December 2007, 09:15 PM
Hi Tom -

A man after my own heart - I do love jesting, it helps with the facial creases:D.

I'm impressed with the lens and look forward to better weather to really put it through its paces.

Thanks again.

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e
8th December 2007, 09:25 PM
where was the photo taken?

http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-vh/w-visits/w-findaplace/w-pitstonewindmill/

http://www.aylesburyvale.net/visit/tourism/south/info/mills/pitstone/index.htm

http://www.chilternsaonb.org/site_details.asp?siteID=40

and finally -
http://www.british-towns.net/attractions/attraction_selected.asp?GetTLID=2195

Regards. Barr1e

j.baker
8th December 2007, 09:36 PM
Barr1e,

Thanks for the links. The windmill looks similar to the one at Wilton.

tom
9th December 2007, 07:35 PM
Hi Tom -

A man after my own heart - I do love jesting, it helps with the facial creases:D.

I'm impressed with the lens and look forward to better weather to really put it through its paces.

Thanks again.

Regards. Barr1e

Barr1e

I look forward to seeing how you get on. Like me, I think you have an E510, haven't you? I would be very interested to know how far down the telephoto range the 510 IS will let you go (in decent light) before you have to resort to monopod/bean-bag/tripod. When (if?:() my 70-300 turns up, I intend to use it for a bit of wildlife photography on the hoof - maybe with an EC-14 for a bit of extra reach. At the moment, all I have is a Bigma, which is great fun but also a great weight. As far as I can tell it is made out of pig iron and lead. If you walk more than half a mile with it over your shoulder you end up six inches shorter than you were when you set off:).

Tom

Barr1e
9th December 2007, 08:06 PM
Barr1e

I look forward to seeing how you get on. Like me, I think you have an E510, haven't you? I would be very interested to know how far down the telephoto range the 510 IS will let you go (in decent light) before you have to resort to monopod/bean-bag/tripod. When (if?:() my 70-300 turns up, I intend to use it for a bit of wildlife photography on the hoof - maybe with an EC-14 for a bit of extra reach. At the moment, all I have is a Bigma, which is great fun but also a great weight. As far as I can tell it is made out of pig iron and lead. If you walk more than half a mile with it over your shoulder you end up six inches shorter than you were when you set off:).

Tom

Will do, Tom, and yes Anne and I sport an E-510 each. The pic above with the lens at full stretch and IS on I think demonstrates how effective the IS is.
However, further shots should demonstrate I hope that the lens is more than fair value.
Are you appearing in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs this year?:D

Regards. Barr1e

[Edit - I have a E-14 wrapped up for Christmas from the family.]

shenstone
9th December 2007, 08:40 PM
When (if?:() my 70-300 turns up, I intend to use it for a bit of wildlife photography on the hoof - maybe with an EC-14 for a bit of extra reach. Tom

That's exactly the rig I'm intending to try for the same reason. I look forward to seeing your opinion on what you get

Regards
Andy

Glyn R
9th December 2007, 09:26 PM
Just been out today testing the 70-300 in the garden. I am very pleased so far. Here are some images. Taken as RAW developed in Lightroom. Glyn's Gallery (http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/glynphoto/70-300/)

PeterD
9th December 2007, 09:45 PM
Just been out today testing the 70-300 in the garden. I am very pleased so far. Here are some images. Taken as RAW developed in Lightroom. http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/glynphoto/70-300/

I am about to purchase the 70-300mm lens for my E3. From what I have seen of your images, I should not be dissappointed. Good shapness and very good detail.
Just a couple of questions though:

1. What focal length did you choose for each image?
2. Where did you get that blue sky from? No sign of that here, all day.

PeterD

theMusicMan
9th December 2007, 09:48 PM
I love those images Glyn, they are super. They look as though they were taken at a close distance to the subject...? what distance were you away from them? Very sharp, lovely colours too, and a fine level of detail for such a long focal length lens.

I have heard from Ian (Kerso) that my 70-300mm is arriving this week on Monday or Tuesday - hope it's Monday as I am off to Milan early on Tuesday morning.

Glyn R
10th December 2007, 01:18 PM
I love those images Glyn, they are super. They look as though they were taken at a close distance to the subject...? what distance were you away from them? Very sharp, lovely colours too, and a fine level of detail for such a long focal length lens.

I have heard from Ian (Kerso) that my 70-300mm is arriving this week on Monday or Tuesday - hope it's Monday as I am off to Milan early on Tuesday morning.

I was about 15 ft away from the Clematis Tangutica. Its up a Holly tree. All the seed head images were taken with 200-300 mm. The Holly berries were taken at 300mm from about 4ft. Image size 1:3 on the scale. I had to maually focus at this distance. The sharpness at full aperture is amazing. The blue tit was about 20ft away, this has been cropped quite a bit. The other images were cropped to improve framing. I bought the lens for nature photography and I am really pleased with the early results. I used a monopod for all these images.

Glyn R
10th December 2007, 01:20 PM
I am about to purchase the 70-300mm lens for my E3. From what I have seen of your images, I should not be dissappointed. Good shapness and very good detail.
Just a couple of questions though:

1. What focal length did you choose for each image?
2. Where did you get that blue sky from? No sign of that here, all day.

PeterD

I used over 200mm for them all. Quite a few are 300mm. I will try to post some with full EXIF.

PeterD
10th December 2007, 01:24 PM
I used over 200mm for them all. Quite a few are 300mm. I will try to post some with full EXIF.

Thanks for that.

So your images were close to max focal length. Now I am very much encouaged by the sharpness achieved.

Thanks

PeterD

tom
10th December 2007, 04:19 PM
Will do, Tom, and yes Anne and I sport an E-510 each. The pic above with the lens at full stretch and IS on I think demonstrates how effective the IS is.
However, further shots should demonstrate I hope that the lens is more than fair value.
Are you appearing in Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs this year?:D

Regards. Barr1e

[Edit - I have a E-14 wrapped up for Christmas from the family.]

Barr1e - LOL. If my 70-300 doesn't turn up this side of Christmas, I'll be appearing as Grumpy:mad:

tom
10th December 2007, 04:22 PM
That's exactly the rig I'm intending to try for the same reason. I look forward to seeing your opinion on what you get

Regards
Andy

Andy

Will do - but I'm at the tender mercies of Dixons Mail Order (don't ask), so I hope you're not in any great rush:rolleyes:

Tom

j.baker
12th December 2007, 03:53 PM
I have just picked up my EC-20.

I have taken an image of my neighbours TV antenni across the road with the 40-150+ ec-20 and the 70-300 on its own.

Both were hand held and were shot in RAW mode. No images editing, other than cropping and resizing, for this post was done.

I will work on creating the artice soon.

My first impressions is that the 40-150 with the EC-20 is not as good as the 70-300mm

UPDATED, I have added a cropped image of the 70-300mm with the EC-20, but this time with a tripod (Taken about 45 minutes after first images). The antennai was larger that the frame.

PeterD
12th December 2007, 06:46 PM
I have just picked up my EC-20.

I have taken an image of my neighbours TV antenni across the road with the 40-150+ ec-20 and the 70-300 on its own.

Both were hand held and were shot in RAW mode. No images editing, other than cropping and resizing, for this post was done.

I will work on creating the artice soon.

My first impressions is that the 40-150 with the EC-20 is not as good as the 70-300mm

UPDATED, I have added a cropped image of the 70-300mm with the EC-20, but this time with a tripod (Taken about 45 minutes after first images). The antennai was larger that the frame.

I tend to agree with you. The 70-300 with and without the EC20 as produced sharper images.
Its difficult to imagine the actual magnification as I assume the first two images are cropped whilst the last would be full frame in the horiaontal direction.
I am pleased with your results as I am expecting delivery of my own 70-300mm lens. I have found that the 12-60mm lens just does not give me the flexibility I need and the kit 40-150 does not give the quality at full bore.

PeterD

j.baker
12th December 2007, 06:50 PM
I can upload the full size RAW files to my website is anyone is interested.

Erm, it appears that I deleted them. I do however have the cropped non web versions in PNG format.

PeterD
12th December 2007, 06:52 PM
I can upload the full size RAW files to my website is anyone is interested.

Yes please John.

PeterD

j.baker
12th December 2007, 07:00 PM

I placed them under the E-SYstem Forum Images link.

PeterD
12th December 2007, 07:14 PM

I placed them under the E-SYstem Forum Images link.

Thanks John.

I have looked at the images and the 70-300 sharpness is definately better. You can see the EC20 + 70-300mm lens is darker and could do with a couple of stepsof increased exposure. I would have thought that the AE system would have compensated for this though.

Thanks again for sharing your experience and the comparative work. Perhaps a more colourfull test image would tell us more.

PeterD

j.baker
12th December 2007, 07:46 PM
There was a 45 mins differance between the shots. It was darker. I will try to get some new images tomorrow.

PeterD
12th December 2007, 10:28 PM
There was a 45 mins differance between the shots. It was darker. I will try to get some new images tomorrow.

Thanks John

I am expecting my own 70-300 lens in the next couple of days - can't wait

PeterD

j.baker
13th December 2007, 10:18 PM
I took some more images this afternoon. There were some high flying planes, whlich left some nice white trials against a very blue sky. I used the 70-300 @300mm with the EC-20.

I have resized them for this forum, however the plane1 image was cropped to about 1200x700 and the plane2 image was cropped to about 1600x650. Both were resized to 620x?

PeterD
13th December 2007, 10:31 PM
I took some more images this afternoon. There were some high flying planes, whlich left some nice white trials against a very blue sky. I used the 70-300 @300mm with the EC-20.

I have resized them for this forum, however the plane1 image was cropped to about 1200x700 and the plane2 image was cropped to about 1600x650. Both were resized to 620x?

Thanks John

My 70-300 lens arrived today so I thought I would try it out, mainly to check sharpness and close focus. Took the dog with me but he got bored and disappeared. Two hours later I found him but bang went the photo session.

Here is one of the images though

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/fungus.jpg

This is in my gallery. You should be able o view the EXIF data there.

What a splendid lens. Knocks spots off my kit lens (with the exception of the 12-60 of course). Very fast focus with no 'hunting'.

Cheers

PeterD

Napper
20th December 2007, 06:04 AM
Hi Napper - I agree with you, the sharpness of that image is certainly nothing to be concerned about. Can you let us see the EXIF please...?

Sorry to have only just replied to your request for exif info been rather busy lately. here it is
Camera model: E-510 Date/Time: 2007:11:29 10:32:42
Resolution: 1024 x 768 Flash used: No
Focal length: 252.0mm Exposure time: 0.0050 s (1/200)
Aperture: f/5.5 ISO equiv.: 200
Whitebalance: Auto Metering Mode: center weight
Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

I am more than happy with the sharpness of this lens the only thing I've found is that sometimes it seems to lose itself whilst focusing and then search for a second or two until it finds the focal range again