PDA

View Full Version : Why I'm disappointed with my new E-620

StephenL
26th August 2009, 01:14 PM
It only arrived yesterday afternoon, and by the time the battery had been charged it was too late and wet to go out with it. However, today, once the clouds and downpours had gone, it was fine enough for me to take my standard walk round the ponds behind our house and try out the thing.
First thing to say is that it handled well, like any recent E series camera and a bit better than my late G1. I tried out all the silly little art filters, and the idiotic Jpeg settings, as well as my accustomed Raw.
On returning to the computer, I made the following discoveries which fuelled my dislike for this little camera.

1) I now have little or no reason to use Raw. The Jpegs straight out of the camera are near enough perfect, so there's my fun in processing Raw files gone!

2) Those stupid, childish art filters can really be quite fun. I particularly like the "pop art" and "pinhole" filters. Once again, the fun in creating these in Photoshop has disappeared.

3) If anything, it underexposes a tad. So once again, any slight errors are easily recovered from, much easier than if it had overexposed.

The thing has taken all my fun away! Cheers! *chr

HughofBardfield
26th August 2009, 01:47 PM
Stephen, I'm so disappointed for you :)

Perhaps you should send it back... or to me! :D

crimbo
26th August 2009, 02:04 PM
dont give it to Hugh... I'll take it off you for a small fee...

My next purchase is supposedly a 620... looks like I'll have to get on with saving up!

yorky
26th August 2009, 02:16 PM
Stick with till the E3 replacement comes out:-(

Jonesgj
26th August 2009, 02:20 PM
Stephen,

I shared all of your disappointments. :)

I then, to cap-it-all, found that the Jpg Quality isn't set at its highest (or finest?) from the factory! Have you checked yours?

Graydon

StephenL
Unfortunately I can forsee my E-3 being sidelined ...... Hope not, 'cos I love that camera!

Stick with till the E3 replacement comes out:-(

Ian Grego
Stephen

It seem from your comment that you will just have more time playing with the new toy than sat at the computer.
So enjoy the fun

Ian

EH1
26th August 2009, 02:49 PM
Stephen can I ask what made you buy an E-620 when you own an E-3? Am I missing something (apart from afew art filters) :confused:

The Saint
26th August 2009, 03:27 PM
Stephen

My other half loves her E-620 and now she has the grip it makes it even nicer to handle (I have large hands and found the E-620 without grip a little uncomfortable to hold).

The only problem is she loves it so much she now wants a load of new lenses to make full use of it.

Her personal favourite art filter is the grain b&w and I have to admit that some of images are outstanding.

Simon

StephenL
26th August 2009, 04:07 PM
Simple. Weight. I went (back) to Oly from a Canon 5D to lose weight, and bought an E-510. Then an E-520. Then the E-3 for a supposedly-better camera (which it is). Then the G1. Couldn't get on with the G1 but still wanted a low-weight alternative for holidays and walks, not specific photo outings. I have an intermittent shoulder problem which precludes hiking with a heavy camera. So got the E-620.

Stephen can I ask what made you buy an E-620 when you own an E-3? Am I missing something (apart from afew art filters) :confused:

StephenL
26th August 2009, 04:30 PM
Yes, thanks. In the interval twixt ordering and receiving I read the web dry, and came across another Olympus afficionados site which had a table of suggested settings for the E-620 (no, not Wrotniak but Biofos).

I then, to cap-it-all, found that the Jpg Quality isn't set at its highest (or finest?) from the factory! Have you checked yours?

Graydon

ianinsuffolk
6th October 2009, 04:01 PM
The final accolade was when I used Lightroom to show my raw RAW photos of Sissinghurst to 'her majesty,' who just said 'wow, your photogarphy has improved!' Mmm methinks the 620 is better than the 510!!!!

Interestingly that was with a Sigma f1.4, 30mm, Oly 7-14mm f4 and a 14 - 150mm Panasonic which shows that it's not only the lens that makes the photo!

I really have felt this must be the (almost) perfect camera. The smaller size and lighter weight for me is also a bonus.

baldyb
6th October 2009, 04:25 PM
In the light of the freebies now on offer I'm thinking very hard about trying to justify to myself (let alone her indoors) why I really need the e620 to replace my e510's.

I purposely haven't read too many detailed reviews yet but as some of you already have the 620 can I ask one basic question before I get too involved (or worse blagged by a salesman;)) - if I use my existing 14-54 mk1 and 50-200 non swd lenses would I still get the full benefits of the new camera or, as I suspect, would I need the new lenses too? I think I did see something about this when the e620 was first released.

Any info greatly appreciated as usual.

Kevin*chr

StephenL
6th October 2009, 04:45 PM
You will be fine. The only practical difference you will notice between the Mk1 and Mk2 14-54 is the speed of live view focussing, not ordinary use. And the 50-200 SWD focusses quicker than the earlier version, with no difference to live view functionality. So if you are already happy with those two lenses, you will continue to be so!

ianinsuffolk
6th October 2009, 06:10 PM
Kevin;

I agree. The earlier comments were made with non-SWD lenses and the purpose was to say that the camera made the difference, NOT the lenses. Go on, spoil yourself - you'll be amazed!

Ian:):):):):):):):)

jonesy
6th October 2009, 06:21 PM
I'm waiting for now... I'm hoping "father Christmas" will be kind to me this year... If not, the money is there to buy myself one in January, who knows they might be cheaper still in January :D

snaarman
6th October 2009, 06:29 PM
I'm waiting for now... I'm hoping "father Christmas" will be kind to me this year... If not, the money is there to buy myself one in January, who knows they might be cheaper still in January :D

Ditto here...

:-)

baldyb
6th October 2009, 09:00 PM
Sadly, I think there is little point waiting for such surprises. Whilst having an apparently endless supply of socks and other similarly exciting items, I have found that Santa has an almost total disinterest in photography.:(
On the other hand though, that does mean I have less reason to justify buying a new body. Hmmm.....:D
Kevin

jonesy
7th October 2009, 06:38 AM
Sadly, I think there is little point waiting for such surprises. Whilst having an apparently endless supply of socks and other similarly exciting items, I have found that Santa has an almost total disinterest in photography.:(
On the other hand though, that does mean I have less reason to justify buying a new body. Hmmm.....:D
Kevin
Hmm, Santa is the one that bought my camera for me a couple of years ago... maybe that was his way of telling me I need to get out more ;) So this year I'm dropping not so subtle hints :D

Ellie
7th October 2009, 12:12 PM
Whilst having an apparently endless supply of socks and other similarly exciting items, I have found that Santa has an almost total disinterest in photography. :(
Looks as if we share the same Santa, although ladies tend to get things other than socks - which I wouldn't mind sometimes, especially thick woolly ones to wear inside walking boots!

I'll just drop unsubtle hints, but before that I start, I think I need to work out whether they'll be for the E-620 or the E-30! :rolleyes:

csm1957
19th October 2009, 09:56 AM
Hi, I'm new to these forums and thought I'd delve into the E-620 section. I've just got the E-620 (a week ago) and took it up to Northumberland within a couple of days of receiving it. I already have the E-410, a great camera but the E-620 is fantastic. Great to use, great results and although the battery-grip (free in the deal) adds a little bit of weight, it's about the right amount to give that impression of solidity - and as I have fairly large hands, it does help with handling.
Can't wait to get out there with it again.*super