PDA

View Full Version : 12-60 knackered!

jdal
22nd August 2009, 10:27 AM
During a walk, and all of a sudden, the zoom on my 12-60 became VERY stiff. I persevered for a while, thinking it was maybe something that would free itself. But when I looked at the lens, the zoom sealing ring had come unstuck and was projecting out of the gap between the lens barrel and the casing. *crap

When I had a look at my receipt for the lens it was 2nd Sept 2008, so Oly are going to repair it under warranty - a stroke of luck that it didn't fail in a fortnights time.

That's a pro lens, and after the E-3 wonky viewfinder and focussing problems I've had I'm losing confidence in the reliability of Oly kit. I get the feeling I could let the local ice hockey team use the E-1 with the 14-54 as a puck and it'd be ok, but the E3/12-60 is a bit, as we say in these parts, femmer.

Jim Ford
22nd August 2009, 10:51 AM
Dragging of the sealing rings seem to be a problem on some of the weatherprotected zooms. The 50-200mm also seems to have the same problem.

When my 50-200mm started to show some stiffness, I put a _pinhead_ sized bit of silicone grease on my fingertip and wiped round the lens barrel. I also did this on my 12-60mm, just to be on the safe side. You only need the faintest trace of silicone on the barrel - probably a wipe with a silicone furniture polish impregnated cloth would also suffice.

Jim

jdal
22nd August 2009, 11:12 AM
When my 50-200mm started to show some stiffness, I put a _pinhead_ sized bit of silicone grease on my fingertip and wiped round the lens barrel. I also did this on my 12-60mm, just to be on the safe side. You only need the faintest trace of silicone on the barrel - probably a wipe with a silicone furniture polish impregnated cloth would also suffice.
Jim

That's a good idea, cheers. *chr

I'm not sure I want my kit smelling of Pledge though, like one of those Victorian wooden cameras.:)

Archphoto
22nd August 2009, 11:24 AM
The idea of the tiniest bit of (silicone) grease is good, just becarefull that you use the right kind of grease, not the kind that "eats" away the sealing ring.

Special O-ring grease should be OK, Nikon has it for their Nikonos underwater camera's.

It is a shame that Olympus does not warn us about these possible problems and does not advice us how to prevent it.

Peter

oly_om
22nd August 2009, 01:07 PM
When I had a look at my receipt for the lens it was 2nd Sept 2008, so Oly are going to repair it under warranty - a stroke of luck that it didn't fail in a fortnights time.

Irrespective of what the warranty might say, it's worth looking at this:

http://ec.europa.eu/publications/booklets/move/64/en.pdf (page 7)

All consumer electronics should be covered for 2 years in the EU by default.

Andy

Wreckdiver
22nd August 2009, 01:11 PM
I have had problems recently with my 12-60mm SWD and 50-200 (original version) lenses, the 50-200mm had screws come loose inside and the 12-60mm started jamming when zooming in/out.

I had to pay for the 50-200mm repair as the lens was over 4 years old but the 12-60mm was still within the warranty and was repaired free of charge. John, according to the Olympus website, you should have a 2 year warranty on your lens, as is standard with all photographic products Olympus warranty (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_1564.htm)

Steve

jdal
22nd August 2009, 01:45 PM
... according to the Olympus website, you should have a 2 year warranty on your lens, as is standard with all photographic products Olympus warranty (http://www.olympus.co.uk/consumer/208_1564.htm) Steve

I got the lens from Ian Kerr direct (Ebay Kerso, shop Flash Camera) and according to the warranty card is covered by the 1 year international warranty - I think he gets them from the US. However, the EU statement "The fact is that a 2 year guarantee applies for the sale of all consumer goods everywhere in the EU" seems pretty indisputable, my invoice is from "Flash Camera of Arbroath, Scotland". So I guess I'd have had to take that up with Ian Kerr if the thing fails again. That'd be fun :rolleyes:

peak4
22nd August 2009, 03:03 PM
the 50-200mm had screws come loose inside

I had to pay for the 50-200mm repair as the lens was over 4 years old

Steve

I think I have tha same problem. :( The front & rear parts of the lens have started to come apart either side of the zoom ring. It's currently on holiday in Portugal for repair. Again it's over 2 years old, so my covering letter suggested that it was probably faulty from new, as some of the internal fixings seem not to have been torqued down correctly. I don't think that any pro level lens should actually fall apart other than by due wear and tear.
I'm not sure it will make any difference; how much did they charge you, if you don't mind me asking?

Wreckdiver
22nd August 2009, 04:09 PM
I think I have tha same problem. :( The front & rear parts of the lens have started to come apart either side of the zoom ring.

That's exactly what happened to mine, the lens was falling apart in the middle and I could hear something small (like a screw) rattling around inside. Unfortunately, I decided to have a go at self repair (not advised) - I have the facilities to do intricate repairs but I still managed to damage the flexible PCB at the rear of the lens. The total repair bill came to 129, but most of that would be for the damage I caused. Lesson learnt the hard way.

I was still happy with the bill and Olympus's superb service.

Steve

Adagio
22nd August 2009, 05:10 PM
Irrespective of what the warranty might say, it's worth looking at this:

http://ec.europa.eu/publications/booklets/move/64/en.pdf (page 7)

All consumer electronics should be covered for 2 years in the EU by default.

Andy

I am far from convinced that this applies as simply as this in UK consumer law. However, you may be correct, I would be grateful if someone could cite the relevant statutory instrument.
Read Commission Communication on the Implementation of the Directive on Sale of Consumer Goods and Guarantees (http://ec.europa.eu/consumers/cons_int/safe_shop/guarantees/CSD_2007_EN_final.pdf) and Directive 1999/44/EC (http://eur-lex.europa.eu/smartapi/cgi/sga_doc?smartapi!celexapi!prod!CELEXnumdoc&lg=en&numdoc=31999L0044&model=guichett)

UK consumer rights are as I understand it governed by the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (As amended). Two significant points, the buyer’s contract is with the seller not the manufacturer, the manufacturer may give a guarantee which provides additional protection for the consumer but cannot detract from his statutory rights.
The act states that the goods must be durable although the definition is one of reasonableness. If one were to ask Olympus how long one of their Pro lenses should last in normal amateur use I think it unlikely that they would answer 2 years, more probably 5-10.
If, however, the Olympus 2 year guarantee has expired you only have a claim against the seller. An allowance must be made for fair wear and tear and the use that you have had. Don’t take ‘no’ for an answer seek advice from your local CAB.

oly_om
23rd August 2009, 01:53 PM
David

I had a bit of a look - I believe the 1979 act was superseded by "Supply of Goods to Consumers Regulations 2002" - which implemented some of the recent EU directives. There is an interesting (if not definitive) point made here, as the bottom, http://www.consumerdirect.gov.uk/before_you_buy/thinking_about/extended-warranties/. The site is a UK government site.

Andy

Adagio
23rd August 2009, 06:01 PM
Andy

First of all I am not a lawyer, but I am certain that there is no legal requirement for any manufacturer to give a guarantee. However, if they do then, under the Consumer Regulations 2002 (which amend the 1979 Act), the consumer can enforce his rights directly with the manufacturer which previously he could not due to 'privity of contract'.
Since the SoGA applies to all goods it seems inconceivable to me that a manufacturer could be forced to provide a 2 year 'guarantee' on a flimsy pair of child's flip-flops costing 75p.

See this page of Sony's (http://vaio.sony.co.uk/view/ShowProduct.action?product=VGN-SR41M%2FW&site=voe_en_GB_cons&pageType=Overview&category=VN+SR+Series) web site - are they putting two fingers up to the law with their 12 month guarantee? I believe not.

The Act does allow the consumer a period of 6 years in which to bring an action against the supplier for faulty goods. Hence my admonition to 'not take no for an answer' if the supplier starts to quote time limits to you. You may have more of a claim against him than you think, manufacturer's guarantee notwithstanding.