PDA

View Full Version : 10 Stop ND Filter for 1.30 & pp

theMusicMan
21st August 2009, 11:50 AM
Hi All

Spotted this a little while ago on another forum, and today decided what the heck, so bit the bullet and ordered one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170364342033

How can you get a 10 stop ND filter for just 1.30 I hear you ask... well... it's not a true ND filter, it's welding goggles glass, but from what I have seen it's quite capable of producing excellent results - allowing you to take long exposure shots in the mid-day sun.

For 1.30 plus pp it has to be worth a punt eh!

I'll post some shots when I have taken some.

PaulE
21st August 2009, 12:03 PM
I've been watching that topic for quite a while and some of the results look pretty good to me. It's definitely something I'm going to try myself at some point too just got to pick up a new glass - the one in my welding helmet are covered in weld spatter and I'm not up for canikon style dust removal just to try it :p

photo_owl
21st August 2009, 01:52 PM
you just cost me 2-30!

theMusicMan
21st August 2009, 01:53 PM
Hehe... we'll have to post all our welding glass shots in here to see what sort of results one can get. Can't use it on my nice new 7-14mm though...!! :(

Graham_of_Rainham
22nd August 2009, 03:08 PM
Congratulations, your Best Offer price of 1.00 (1 x 1.00) was accepted. :D

You saved 23.08% (1 x 0.30) off the Buy It Now price.
This has to be the best deal I've ever got. :cool:

Thanks for the tip & link

*chr

benvendetta
24th August 2009, 12:50 PM
You spend perhaps thousands on all your HG and SHG glass and you want to stick a 1-30 'filter' on it?
Barking!

theMusicMan
24th August 2009, 02:19 PM
You spend perhaps thousands on all your HG and SHG glass and you want to stick a 1-30 'filter' on it?
Barking!
Hmmm.... no smilie... wondering if this was somewhat tongue in cheek.:confused:

However, many of us do place 5.00 UV filters on our HG and SHG glass... or even 15 Nd Grads on our HG and SHG glass...?? Does that mean we're only going to get a half or a third of the effect...?

Besides, I've seen some very interesting results from many others who have used this welding glass as a ND10 filter and it's just a bit of fun... isn't it...?*chr You wouldn't know from looking at some of them that the ND10 they had used was indeed a 1.30 piece of welding glass, instead of the 100 Cokin or Lee original... !!! :)

Graham_of_Rainham
24th August 2009, 02:22 PM
Barking!

That's why I only paid 1 :rolleyes:

It's no different to "Pin-Hole" , Obscure "Legacy" lenses, scopes, "Lens Baby" or any other "Effects" creator. It's all a bit of fun and who knows, it may result in an interesting thread with images that would otherwise have never been created.

As for "Barking" - I am a member of their Photographic Society :D

*chr

benvendetta
24th August 2009, 10:17 PM
Yes, I suppose there is the fun element to it...................;)
But I would draw a line at a cheapo UV or Skylight protection filter on my expensive lenses.

Graham_of_Rainham
27th August 2009, 04:02 PM
Hi All

Spotted this a little while ago on another forum, and today decided what the heck, so bit the bullet and ordered one.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=170364342033

How can you get a 10 stop ND filter for just 1.30 I hear you ask... well... it's not a true ND filter, it's welding goggles glass, but from what I have seen it's quite capable of producing excellent results - allowing you to take long exposure shots in the mid-day sun.

For 1.30 plus pp it has to be worth a punt eh!

I'll post some shots when I have taken some.

Looking at this on ebay, how many did you expect to get ???

I didn't look beyond the picture and thought I'd get 4 bits for 1.30:o That'll teach me to read the small print :rolleyes:

*chr

Graham_of_Rainham
28th August 2009, 01:12 PM
My one has a fantastic manufacturing defect... There is a slightly darker half that may well work as a grad as well. :cool:

Ok it was razor sharp, but a few rubs on a bit of old wet n dry and it's perfect.

Now I just have to play with it. ;)

theMusicMan
28th August 2009, 01:20 PM
Mine arrived today too! Some sharp edges on it I have to say. It fits snugly into the Cokin filter adapter I have so that's cool - not sure that there's not going to be some light leakage around the edges though.

Might get a chance to have a play later depending on the weather.

Graham_of_Rainham
28th August 2009, 02:43 PM
On the Talk Photography forum there are some "interesting" ways of stoping the light leaking in. Bits of wet suit, socks, all manner or suggestions.

I simply left the lens hood on mounted in it's storage position and used one of the Royal Mail Red Rubber Bands to hold it on the front.

WB needs a bit of a tweek, but so far it seems to work really well ;)