PDA

View Full Version : Kenko pro-1v uv filter

baldyb
19th August 2009, 10:20 PM
Having read the various debates on the forum about the merits or otherwise of such filters I have nevertheless taken the plunge and bought one, at a reasonable price, from an apparently reputable ebay seller in hong kong.

But here's the novices question - can anyone out there who also has one of these (or similar) filters confirm what I happened to notice when opening it - against a sheet of white paper the filter has a very slight colouring? The cheap uv filter I was replacing was virtually clear.

I have taken a few shots using the new filter and the picture quality/colour seems ok but I'm just puzzled and hope I haven't been sold a dud!

As usual, thanks in anticipation, Kevin *chr

mike_j
20th August 2009, 06:23 AM
This is just a guess but a lot of super white papers contain optical brightners which enhance the UV (just like washing powders use to give the 'whiter than white' effct).

Maybe the filter is just doing its job!

Or it may be a dud.

EH1
20th August 2009, 11:54 AM
Having read the various debates on the forum about the merits or otherwise of such filters I have nevertheless taken the plunge and bought one, at a reasonable price, from an apparently reputable ebay seller in hong kong.

But here's the novices question - can anyone out there who also has one of these (or similar) filters confirm what I happened to notice when opening it - against a sheet of white paper the filter has a very slight colouring? The cheap uv filter I was replacing was virtually clear.

I have taken a few shots using the new filter and the picture quality/colour seems ok but I'm just puzzled and hope I haven't been sold a dud!

I have Kenko UV filters (which I no longer use & would have sold them to you for a couple of pounds had you asked). I have just looked at them & they are completely clear!....so I think you might have a dud!

Taxiback
20th August 2009, 10:24 PM

The filter is fine, they are exactly the same as the more expensive Hoya Pro1.
The colour you see is the muli-coating on the filter.

Regards,

Paul.

theMusicMan
21st August 2009, 06:41 AM
I'd suggest setting up a test shot and compare the results.

Place your camera on a tripod, and set up the composition for what you are going to shoot, then take the same shot with and then without the filter on the lens. Compare the results.

Voila!

:)

Ken Lister
21st August 2009, 03:37 PM
[QUOTE=baldyb;49797]
The cheap uv filter I was replacing was virtually clear.

I had some cheap (Kood) UV filters which were clear. Bought some cheap coated ones from 7dayshop.com. When viewed at an angle I could see the front lens element through the coated ones. All I could see from the Kood ones was a reflection of the window! I guess this means coated ones produce less flare and better contrast.

Ian
21st August 2009, 07:27 PM
UV filters usually have a very light yellow tint - is that the colour you have noticed? Skylight filters are very slightly magenta. I should think that the camera's auto white balance would fix any issues.

Protective filters used to be de rigeur a couple of decades ago (when I used to work in the camera trade) but I admit I don't usually bother these days. It's debatable whether or not my choice is correct of course :D

Ian

baldyb
21st August 2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond.

Yes Ian it is a very light browny yellow tint, so that is encouraging and so is Paul's comment.

I will do some test shots as well at the weekend as suggested by MM but in the meantime I will sleep somewhat more at ease!:o