PDA

View Full Version : Adobe's next Lightroom...

Barr1e
17th August 2009, 07:03 PM
...to forsake PowerPC Macs.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13580_3-10311046-39.html?tag=nl.e703

Regards. Barr1e

padgreen
18th August 2009, 05:38 PM
Hi

Yes and I'm seriously miffed by this. I've a 2 Ghz G5 PowerPC I bought in mid 2004 and it's effectively rendered obsolete by Snow Leopard. I was hoping that, despite Snow Leopard, Adobe would continue to make Universal applications at least for CS5 and LR 3, but alas not the case.

Every ones says no matter, the G5 is still a great machine. Well it's not much point having a great machine if it doesn't run the latest versions of software that I use.

Agreed, at the moment it doesn't matter much as Lightroom 2 reads my E30 raw files and once they've been converted to DNG I can then use CS3. However, it does mean that when I next next buy a new camera (possibly whatever replaces the E3) I will most likely have to buy a new computer as well.

I don't expect a computer to last forever, but I don't think that a machine that is five years old is that old. Apple was pushing the G5's right up to the point they dumped IBM and switched to Intel. G4 uses have got a good long life out of their machines, G5 users have, in my opinion, been seriously short changed.

OlyPaul
20th August 2009, 01:26 PM
Hi

Agreed, at the moment it doesn't matter much as Lightroom 2 reads my E30 raw files and once they've been converted to DNG I can then use CS3. However, it does mean that when I next next buy a new camera (possibly whatever replaces the E3) I will most likely have to buy a new computer as well.

Not really as you can use the stand alone DNG converter for any later Oly camera you may buy and those dng files will work with your present set up, providing the latest dng converter then is not platform dependant which I doubt will be the case.:)

But it does seem as if you will not be able to upgade to any future Adobe programs

padgreen
20th August 2009, 01:42 PM
Sure, if the DNG converter is not Intel only. But given that Adobe has made clear that it is abandoning PowerPC compatibility for all CS suite programs, including Photoshop and Camera Raw from CS5, and Lightroom from version 3, I think it highly unlikely that they will make an exception just for the stand alone DNG convertor.