PDA

View Full Version : Luminous Landscape Review of E-3

alert_bri
18th January 2008, 06:03 PM
There's an interesting review of the Olympus E-3 on a very highly regarded website - Luminous Landscape here :
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/Olympus-E3.shtml

It's very good that the E-3 is getting this kind of exposure in the serious photography websites imho.

The review is by Doug Brown - I'd be interested in anyone's opinion here... I have yet to read it in detail.

Kind Regards

Brian

dbutch
18th January 2008, 10:24 PM
Overal a very positive review, main concern/moan is certain aspects of the handling and button/control layout but he does say this is a subjective area

Dave

R MacE
18th January 2008, 11:11 PM
Quite good but he clearly needed more time with it. Obviously didn't know that you apply EXP Comp by using the spare command dial without pressing the Exp Comp button.

Should have read the manual :)

Wreckdiver
19th January 2008, 06:18 PM
Interesting review. I agree with Douglas's comments on the Playback (Review) button, it is very badly placed and in a prime shooting location. The Exposure compensation button should be there, right under the thumb when shooting.

A few things I don't like about the E-3:

1. The AF Mode being consigned to a menu, from a switch on the E-1. It would have been better if the battery compartment release moved (or even removed) and a 3 way AF Mode switch placed next to the ON/OFF switch.

2. The E-3 still uses those awful little caps on the Remote cable connector (Shutter release socket) and the External flash connector. If Olympus had done as (dare I say it) Nikon has on the D3 and placed them behind a rubber flap then there wouldn't be any fiddle caps to lose.

Just my preferences.

Steve

froeng
19th January 2008, 11:15 PM
...talking about those caps: Does it impede the waterproofing of the body if these are not in place?

Regards

Frank

Wreckdiver
20th January 2008, 09:29 AM
...talking about those caps: Does it impede the waterproofing of the body if these are not in place?

Regards

Frank

Hi Frank,

The body is not waterproof, just water resistant. The removal of the caps wouldn't affect the integrity of the seal of the camera, but corrosion to the pins could set in if they got wet, especially if it was salt water.

Steve

froeng
20th January 2008, 11:36 AM
Steve,

thanks for clarifying this. I will probably need a new cap for my E-1's flash connector then, but not as urgently as I thought...(I better stop talking OT now!)

Regards

Frank