PDA

View Full Version : Printer or lack of....

petrovich
15th August 2009, 09:32 PM
All.

I have at present an HP1280 4 colour A3+ printer which if used in optimised mode and on HP Premium Plus Phot Paper produces acceptable prints.
I have recently seen some image results from a Epson R300 printer that look really good in fact much better than my HP.
Bearing in mind the R300 is not a new model and that the HP1280 is still not cheap on ebay etc what would be everyones recommendation? Taking the above plus the fact I use a E-1, would my changing to an A4 printer and going for a secondhand R300 make sense.
Are there other models that you would consider?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Regards

j.baker
15th August 2009, 09:36 PM
Do you just use it for photos, or also for general use as well. Is this for home or for work use?

I have just given my old Officejet K550 printer to my dad as I now use a Brother A3 all in one printer. On Brother and HP A3 photo paper it produces some great results, and its not too bad for general printing as well. It also has two paper trays, and its wired/wireless and USB as well.

I agree that there are far better printers for photos and normal usage, but it does both well for me.

petrovich
15th August 2009, 09:46 PM
John.

I do use it rarely for document print but mainly photo. I think that I possibly have it set up wrong for use with Lightroom, so perhaps I am worrying about something that could be cured easily but operator error is getting in the way?

:confused::confused:

Regards

StephenL
16th August 2009, 06:38 AM
I use an R360 (amongst others) which has the same print engine, and it does give very good results. However, it tends to print dark in Lightroom which my other printers (Epson 1290 and Epson SX600) do not. I've spent much effort, paper and ink trying to get to the bottom of this.

petrovich
16th August 2009, 07:40 AM
Stephen.

Same here regarding ink and paper getting prints to come out as on screen.
Again darker prints than screen. I use sRGB throughout and control by application "lightroom". Have tried control by printer etc etc the options are endless but then saw the prints of this old R300 and saw a nice sharper image. I have asked the lady to print one of my files to compare on the R300
so that should give me a comparison at least.

:confused::confused:

Regards

ianc
16th August 2009, 01:53 PM
If you are serious about printing photos the key is to have your monitor profiled, I use a Huey Pro, and get custom profiles for your printer, ink and paper combination. You need custom profiles for 2 reasons. Firstly the controls you have for your printer are just too crude to adjust the density and colours with any degree of accuracy. Secondly each printer is an individual and will give slightly different results from another of the same model.

I use an Epson R2400 A3+ printer with Fotospeed continuous ink system and Fotospeed paper. One of the reasons I went for the Fotospeed papers is they will make you custom profiles for their papers F.O.C. They will do this no matter which ink you use with their paper.

The process of getting the profile is simple. After you have your paper you email Fotospeed and they will email you back with a test image and instructions. The test image consists of a rectangle divided into, 39x24, squares of different colours and densities. You print the test image with all colour correction switched off and send it to Fotospeed. A couple of days later they email you your profile.

I have found since getting my custom profiles my paper wastage has dropped to almost zero and I have been able to get good prints from some shots that I had previously given up on trying to get a decent print from.

Ian C.

yorky
16th August 2009, 03:24 PM
Hi, I too use the Epson 2400 printer, I took down to Warwick, the home of Permajet and had them fit there ink system, they also gave me the profiles for their papers and I had 2 customised ones done. I am in the process of getting a new one for their baryta paper which you print 2 a4s and post them back to them, they then read them and e-mail you a customised profile for that paper. I can recommend that combination. They do supply the ink system for you to fit which isn't that difficult and I usually get good prints without waste.

crimbo
16th August 2009, 04:05 PM
I am a lazy cheapskate...I use online POD usually Photobox and recently Ilford Labs for monochrome...I am happy with what I get

Jim Ford
16th August 2009, 04:40 PM
I started off with an 'Xrite Eye-One Display 2' to calibrate my monitor and had profiles created by a 3rd party. The monitor calibration was fine, but I soon realised that it could get expensive having profiles made for the various papers I use. I then decided to 'bite the bullet' and go for a 'Xrite ColorMunki', which calibrates the monitor and also creates printer profiles. It works fine and really comes in handy when recently I bought some Fuji gloss on special offer at Tescos, and some cheap Wilkinsons mat paper. I just produced profiles for them and the prints come out pretty well identical to the screen image.

I also use a C.I.S. for my Epson printer. I was initially dubious wether one would work satisfactorily, so didn't want to spend too much. I went for the cheapest I could find from www.injetrevolution.com and have been using it for over 2 years without any problems.

I use a good quality German manufactured ink, but like most dye inks it's prone to fading ('gas fading'). If I want a print to stick on the wall I usually laminate it, which makes it last far longer.

Jim