PDA

View Full Version : Tethered shooting

bazza2764
7th August 2009, 06:15 PM
Hi all,
A bit of a mystery for me, is the option using olympus master version 2.2 and from what i read it allows you to do tethered shooting although it wont display the images straight away it is supposed to let you save them direct to a laptop or pc via the usb cable, it tells me to open the software then connect the camera, then on the lcd screen select "control" but when i do i cant use the shutter button on the camera, am i wasting my time or being a div and not doing something right lol ....Help :)

Invicta
8th August 2009, 06:29 AM
Hi

There are two versions of the Olympus software: Olympus Master 2 which is free and Olympus Studio 2 which is a purchased version.

Only the purchased version Olympus Studio supports PC-control of the camera.

bazza2764
8th August 2009, 10:59 AM
Thanks that solves a problem :)

stevednp3
8th August 2009, 02:56 PM
I bought the studio version so I could do tethered shooting for Product shots. It really helps doing it this way esp if your trying to get perfect white or black backgrounds.

Well worth the purchase, but the studio can react a little slow and seams a little buggy at times.

bazza2764
19th September 2009, 08:30 AM
ok i now have oly studio 2, now the question s can i get a longer usb cable so that i can leave my laptop a bit away from where i set up, been asked to do some baby pics for a very good friends and think a longer usb cable would do me better, i also if anyone knows the technical side of the cable. i think its usb, to mini usb but need it confirming before i can go search for maybe a 3metre cable? or is there another way of shooting?

PaulE
19th September 2009, 08:47 AM
ok i now have oly studio 2, now the question s can i get a longer usb cable so that i can leave my laptop a bit away from where i set up, been asked to do some baby pics for a very good friends and think a longer usb cable would do me better, i also if anyone knows the technical side of the cable. i think its usb, to mini usb but need it confirming before i can go search for maybe a 3metre cable? or is there another way of shooting?

The camera end of the USB cable is not a standard mini usb connector it's one of Olympus' own design so a standard cable won't work. Your best bet to lengthen the cable would be to get a simple USB extension (http://www.ebuyer.com/product/21929) cable to use with your existing camera / multiconnector cable as I don't think Olympus make a longer version.

dbutch
19th September 2009, 08:55 AM
I see from your profile that you have a E-420 so what Paul says about a special USB end is correct, for info the older E-system cameras (E-1, E-300 & E-500) all used a standard mini USB end but had a separate video out

Dave

bazza2764
19th September 2009, 01:14 PM
Thanks for the advice, cant understand why i didnt think of that, probably cos i thought it was a standard cable end, but its not to expensive to sort so thanks a lot guys *chr*chr

bazza2764
22nd September 2009, 06:44 PM
Thanks all for the advice, i bought a 5M cable today so gonna try it later *chr

Ian
22nd September 2009, 06:53 PM
I see from your profile that you have a E-420 so what Paul says about a special USB end is correct, for info the older E-system cameras (E-1, E-300 & E-500) all used a standard mini USB end but had a separate video out

Dave

Mmmmm... standard? Maybe a standard, but not the most commonly used mini-USB connector, by a long way.

Ian