PDA

View Full Version : Orf / dng

Jonesgj
7th August 2009, 05:46 PM
Hi all,

Advice required.

I convert my ORF files into DNGs. Is it worth keeping the ORF files after the conversion? If so why and is it worth the disk space?

Kind regards

Graydon

Wreckdiver
7th August 2009, 05:56 PM
I would suggest you archive them to CD/DVD ROM. They only cost pennies and you have them as back-up should you ever need them.

Steve

StephenL
7th August 2009, 06:15 PM
I don't bother keeping them, although I suppose if you think that sometime you will want to process them in Olympus Master or Studio then that's a valid reason.

I always backup to 2 separate hard disks, and am dubious as to the life of a CD, although DVDs are supposedly longer lasting.

shenstone
7th August 2009, 09:12 PM
Hi all,

Advice required.

I convert my ORF files into DNGs. Is it worth keeping the ORF files after the conversion? If so why and is it worth the disk space?

Kind regards

Graydon

Many will say no, but I will say you should because almost certainly there will be another version of Adobe software that can do a better job with your files in the future and Disk space is soo cheap now ...

OlyPaul
7th August 2009, 11:15 PM
I've always converted to DNG as a matter of course and do not keep the ORFS.

Not sure what Shenstone means as Adobe produces exactly the same image from a raw converion of the same ORF or DNG file and if there is another better version of adobe it will still do the same quality of conversion to either of them.

As Stephen says if you feel you may wamt to use the Oly software then keep them other than that it is a personel choice.:)

theMusicMan
8th August 2009, 06:28 AM
Personally, I don't convert to DNG, as this is an adobe format and is a little unnecessary. Adobe will currently read the RAW file, and this therefore is all I need, nd is all I keep.

I have a system of workflow I apply which allows the purging of many images, and also at many stages of that workflow - not just at the beginning, so I usually end up deleting many images I don't like, or want, or need! Seems to work for me.

shenstone
8th August 2009, 07:17 AM
Not sure what Shenstone means as Adobe produces exactly the same image from a raw converion of the same ORF or DNG file and if there is another better version of adobe it will still do the same quality of conversion to either of them.

What I'm menaing is the Adobe software (or adobe drivers embedded within other software) that creates the DNG not the programmes that subsequently reprocess these files.

Regards
Andy