PDA

View Full Version : uv filter (and others) for 9-18mm lens

MARS
5th August 2009, 02:09 PM
I am awaiting arrival of said lens and want to get a filter to protect it. So please advise- Is there significant difference between the cheaper kenko/hoya filters and more expensive brands or hoya pro, etc.
With the kenko/hoya basic ones will vignetting be a problem on this wide angle lens? Has anyone had experience of this?
Likewise, with polarising filter. What do you recommend?
Furthermore!, having just read the previous thread on filter holders and vignetting any further advice on this problem and ND grad. filters would be appreciated. (i think that's all!)

Kiwi Paul
6th August 2009, 08:11 AM
You may have to be careful, if you choose to put a protection filter on and then use another filter on top of that (a polarizer say) you may (not sure) catch the edge of the second filter at wider angles if it protrudes too far. I use a Hoya pro polarizer, it fits the 12-60 and 9-18mm and works ok except sometimes depending on the angle of the sun the polarization effect can vary across the shot at wide angles.

Personally I prefer to use the better quality filters (i.e the Hoya pro range), if you hunt about (Amazon often have good prices) thay aren't that dear.

I have stopped using protection filters on my lenses, it's an ongoing debate and there will always be disagreements but I decided the cost and potential image degrading using them outweighed the risk. I've never (touch wood) damaged a lens element yet.

Paul

HughofBardfield
6th August 2009, 01:15 PM
A polariser will be of only limited use at the wide end. The angle of view is so great that it will almost certainly cause banding (areas of darker tint) in the sky. It's a problem with the 11-22, so will certainly be apparent with the 9-18.

You will also find that more and more people now forego the use of protection/ UV/ skylight filters because a) they can cause or exacerbate flare in non-optimal light conditions b) modern lens coatings are much, much more resilient than they were in 35mm days.

Personally, old habits die hard and I still use UV filters, but tend to take them off if I'm shooting even slightly towards the light source. They occasionally prove their worth in rain, spray or other adverse conditions.

The usual advice with filters is to buy the best you can afford. You've just spent a pile of cash on a lens: it makes sense to make sure anything you put in front of it is of matching quality. In photography, you tend to get what you pay for.

With ND Grads, some brands (Cokin, Kood) can produce undesirable colour casts in some situations. Hi-Tech and Lee (Ker-ching!!! :() seem free of this problem. You may need 100mm filters to avoid vignetting @ 9mm...

MARS
7th August 2009, 06:47 AM
Thanks very much for the useful advice. As I am going on holiday very shortly, i think i will have to just use the lens as is for now anyway, and sort out any filters later.
MARS

shenstone
7th August 2009, 11:16 AM
Thanks very much for the useful advice. As I am going on holiday very shortly, i think i will have to just use the lens as is for now anyway, and sort out any filters later.
MARS

Whoa....

I would STRONGLY recommend that you get a UV filter on the lens before your holiday... they are easily available and cheap compared to the cost of replacing your lens when you scratch it.

As said above get the best you can find / afford as thinness of filter will be important with a lens that wide

Regards
Andy

Invicta
8th August 2009, 06:37 AM
MARS

As Andy points out it is worth considering a UV filter. What type of holiday are you planning? E.g. if it is by the coast then a UV filter will protect against sea spray. If it is in the mountains then UV filters absorb the UV which can add haze to the photo.

It is down to personal choice, Hoya even do a plain glass protection filter (ie no UV absorption).