PDA

View Full Version : Help

shirley
5th August 2009, 09:59 AM
Hi everybody,
I am not sure if this is the right place to put this but I wonder if anybody can help me before I throw the computer out of the window.
When I right click on my desktop, and indeed anywhere else, Windows Explorer stops working, it says it is tryng to find a solution and restarts but the problem is not solved still does the same when I right click anywhere. I have tried numerous system restore operations, the only way I can get it back is if I go before my Java script update but when I do that I cannot access my internet banking or use my multiple upload facility on my website. Does anybody have any ideas as I am tearing my hair out and spending far too much time on this?
Thank you for any suggestions.
Shirley

gno
5th August 2009, 10:20 AM
Hi Shirley,

There seems to be some issues with the latest Java script update.
What system are you on Windows XP or Vista 32 or 64 bit?
Regards

Gavin

gno
5th August 2009, 10:30 AM
Further
I was running Java 6 with update 15 on Vista 32 bit and had no end of trouble with my browser 3rd party extensions and had to disable them.
I ended up removing Java 6 and reinstalling up to Java 6 update 13 and have stuck with that at the moment.
I found that it slowed IE7/ 8 to such a pace that I couldn't work.

Do you use IE or Firefox and are the results the same in both?

Regards

Gavin

shirley
5th August 2009, 10:38 AM
Hi Gavin,
Thank you so much for replying, it is reassuring to know that I am not the only one.

My operating system is Vista - not sure if it is 32 or 64 bit and dont know how to find out! I usually use Firefox but have to use IE for my internet banking which will not work on Firefox.

When I use Java version 14 both Firefox and IE work fine but on the desktop when I right click Windows Explorer stops working.

I did go back to before Java was upgraded and the right click worked but not the Internet banking or my website upload.

I am now stuck because I have lost all my system restore points before yesterday as I have tried so many restores and in Vista I do not seem to be able to increase the space used for restore points.
Any suggestions gratefully recieved.
Do you know how I can reinstall a previous version of Java?
Thanks again
Shirley

gno
5th August 2009, 11:43 AM
Hi Shirley,

It would probably make sense to remove Java to start with and then re-install to see if the problem is still there.
This will guide (http://www3.govst.edu/webct/webct6/student/Javacheck/removejavavista.html) you through removing Java on Vista.
You can get Java specific update from here (http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp) although they seem to be the latest versions, perhaps someone knows where you can get earlier versions.
Do you know which version was working ok?

Regards

Gavin

Melaka
6th August 2009, 06:35 AM
Hi Gavin,
I usually use Firefox but have to use IE for my internet banking which will not work on Firefox.
Shirley

The latest version of Firefox doesn't seem to work with Norton 360 if you use that to store passwords etc. Norton don't have a patch and Firefox don't seem to care. However the latest version of Firefox does seem to be compatible with Norton IS2009. Firefox doesn't work with Barclays Stockbrokers either and nobody seems to care about that either. I've gone back to using IE8.

shirley
6th August 2009, 07:55 AM
Thanks for your help, unfortunately I have not been able to solve the problem, also I now have another issue with Firefox in that a message comes up saying '....chrome registration failed...' apparently its something to do with Add Ons the solution, according to Firefox, is to right click on Firefox icon and run as administrator - unfortunately I cannot right click!!!!
Anyway I think I am just going to have to put up with it as I cannot find a solution and I will probably go back to IE for most of my internet use.
I have uninstalled and re installed several different versions of Java and all of them produce the same problem so I am wondering if its a problem caused by something else, I can't for the life of me think what it would be. As with the Firefox issue I think I am just going to have to put up with it!

shirley
6th August 2009, 08:53 AM
I think I may have solved it - partially.
I have created a another account and when I access my computer via that account all works absolutely fine!!
Thanks again
Shirley

davidsa
6th August 2009, 10:16 AM
Hi Shirley

I had problems with the latest (the other day) Java update and had to system restore to just before it, I use XP.

But it seems to me your definitive solution will only be a complete re-install of Vista having backed up your valuable photos etc on to DVD (if you have any that aren't already kept somewhere off your computer).

(If Vista won't let you burn DVD's then there is Knoppix - a Linux program which will boot your machine and run in the RAM, and under which you can burn or, possibly more easily copy, to memory sticks, not using Vista at all. See www.knoppix.org).

Better still remove Vista, reformat, and go back to XP (throwing Vista rather than the computer out of the window).

And Windows 7 will be here soon and is said to be much better than Vista.

In the meantime you could try downloading a fresh copy of Firefox (www.mozilla.com) and reinstalling that, if, like me you prefer Firefox to IE. That might get rid of the Chrome pop-up. Actually I tried Chrome and quite liked it.

Good luck!

David

Graham_of_Rainham
6th August 2009, 12:42 PM
My son bought a really good secondhand computer with Vista...:(

First thing we did was hard format and install XP, now it's a brilliant secondhand computer ;)

I appreciate that this is of no help whatsoever, but you did get 3rd place in the winter competition, so that should bring on a big smile.:)

Well done.

shirley
6th August 2009, 12:59 PM
I appreciate that this is of no help whatsoever, but you did get 3rd place in the winter competition, so that should bring on a big smile.

Indeed it did. :D:D:D

I dont know what happened but all seems to be working as before now that I am using another login. I dont know enough about computers to understand why that might be but hey ho as long as its working I'm happy!

davidsa
6th August 2009, 04:02 PM
That sort of thing happens quite often!

But back up like crazy as anything could happen! You wouldn't want to lose your leaf, or indeed your next competition entry.

Well done!

David

Adagio
6th August 2009, 05:22 PM
Shirley

Do you have a registry clean up tool such as Registry Mechanic (http://www.pctools.com/registry-mechanic/). I have found it to solve similar kinds of problem alsthough not as you describe specifically. There is a free trial version. Registry First Aid (http://www.rosecitysoftware.com/reg1aid/) is also good in my experience.