PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone suggest/recommend a decent 24" (or larger) monitor...?

theMusicMan
17th January 2008, 10:38 AM
Hey All

I am currently in the market for a larger monitor for my desk based system. I have a 21" Phillips at the moment but am finding that I'd like something bigger as the resolution on it is not that great. On my Dell Laptop I can display 1920*1600, but on the monitor I can't get at that. I don't actually need that resolution, but having more pixels to play with allows more 'real estate' on screen as it were.

I am currently looking at a low cost monitor such as this one:

http://images.play.com/covers/3436238m.jpg (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3436238/Acer-AL2416WB-24-Widescreen-TFT-Monitor/Product.html)

at 219 with free delivery from Play.com - great deal if you ask me. However, I am always interested in obtaining advice from peeps on here who may already have a larger monitor.

I can't really afford one of the Mac monitors (which I'd love), so for the next year or so it's a budget large wide-screen model for me.

Any ideas...? Thanks all...

PeterD
17th January 2008, 11:05 AM
Hey All

I am currently in the market for a larger monitor for my desk based system. I have a 21" Phillips at the moment but am finding that I'd like something bigger as the resolution on it is not that great. On my Dell Laptop I can display 1920*1600, but on the monitor I can't get at that. I don't actually need that resolution, but having more pixels to play with allows more 'real estate' on screen as it were.

http://images.play.com/covers/3436238m.jpg (http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3436238/Acer-AL2416WB-24-Widescreen-TFT-Monitor/Product.html)

at 219 with free delivery from Play.com - great deal if you ask me. However, I am always interested in obtaining advice from peeps on here who may already have a larger monitor.

I can't really afford one of the Mac monitors (which I'd love), so for the next year or so it's a budget large wide-screen model for me.

John,

I did a quick search and if the price for a 24" monitor is the most important factor then I could not find anything to beat it. Personally though, I would be a bit concerned about comments regarding distortion and set up but these may be quirks that others found difficult in the set-up and perhaps have not been optimised. The flickering comment would be worth further investigation.

The spec reads well with a high contrast ratio / viewing angle. The refresh rate whilst not exceptional is what has become the norm these days.

You probably already have but, what I would do next is to search for tests and other user comments before buying.

PeterD

Ijay37
17th January 2008, 05:03 PM
Hey All

Might be a bit expensive but a friend of mine really rates illyama monitors.
John

Wreckdiver
17th January 2008, 06:14 PM
Why not consider dual monitors? most graphic cards these days support two monitors and it makes life so much easier. I couldn't go back to a single screen again.

Steve

theMusicMan
17th January 2008, 06:15 PM
Why not consider dual monitors? most graphic cards these days support two monitors and it makes life so much easier. I couldn't go back to a single screen again.

SteveI already use a dual monitor setup, just want a larger 2nd monitor that's all...:D

Wreckdiver
17th January 2008, 06:18 PM
I already use a dual monitor setup, just want a larger 2nd monitor that's all...:D

Ooops, sorry :)

Take a look at www.dabs.com they have a huge range.

Steve

Jim
17th January 2008, 07:16 PM
Not sure who actually makes them, but the ones DELL badge are pretty good, I have their Ultra Sharp Wide Aspect one 20" only but when I tested its calibration via a website it seems to be well above average although not as good as one designed and calibrated for digital photographic work.

Chillimonster
17th January 2008, 07:20 PM
For the money it's gotta be the Dell 2407WFP.

Had a couple of these in the past and have been blown away by them.

The number of input options they have is amazing, and the built in card reader is a bonus.

I got mine from eBay. Next day delivery, and a dead pixel G'tee.

Bit more expensive than the one you looked at, but as with the E-3, quality costs :)

Chris

Chillimonster
17th January 2008, 07:23 PM
Just had a quick look and they are at £339 Plus VAT on ebay for a rev A04 panel, and 4 year dell warranty

theMusicMan
17th January 2008, 07:23 PM
Ooooh, lovely recommendation there Chris, I hadn't thought of that one. Not that much more expensive either at £339 on eBay. Now you might have just convinced me to spend even more money :)

Chillimonster
17th January 2008, 07:27 PM
Now you might have just convinced me to spend even more money :)

It's a gift i have :D

Chillimonster
17th January 2008, 07:28 PM
Did i mention you can also rotate the screen and run it portrait?

Very neat party trick, especially when you run two side by side in this mode like i did a couple of years ago :D

shenstone
17th January 2008, 07:36 PM
I'm not going to recommend a specific monitor or shop as I don't keep myself up to date on these. I look when I need as the market changes too often

However as I don't know how computer literate you are, so here are few things to think about which may be of use to others if not you.

Look carefully at the specs.

Do you need low reflectivity ? It's important of you are near a window and I seem to remember a picture of your den once.

If you are, you also need to get a good Image Brightness I would consider 400 cd/m2 pretty good for most people you may want to move to 500 cd/m2 if you are in a bright location.

Wherever you are then Image Contrast Ratio is important for seeing subtlety in photo's. I would not personally want anything any lower than about 600:0 with 1000:1 being availble quite widely these days.

IMHO View Angle is probably less important for a decently set-up workstation than many people suggest. Unless you're gathering people around for slideshows in which case it can be a little more of an issue +-80 is quite normal & reasonable

Sync Rate is more important with moving images so more important for gamers, but still you want high enough to not have any flicker - say 60Mhz Min

Interface - my current is DVI - I've read a lot of rubbish about HDMI which once again IMHO is more important for gamers as the sound is carried as well

A good set of manual Controls / Adjustments to allow you to colour balance your screen is important if you are intending to work with commercial printers, but one thats easy to auto set-up is also important.

Lastly of course there is Pixel resolution. LCD screens will of course be best at their native resolution, but there are times when it's important to have a screen that is also good at a lower resolution. I find that I often drop resolution to take a final scan of the AV's I produce in SlideShow2Go as I want to see what they will look like on a video projector which is typically a lot lower res than I run at.

There are loads of other settings and others may have an opinion on a specific setting or aspect being more important, but those are what I looked for when I last updated about a year ago

Hope that helps someone if not you

Regards
Andy

theMusicMan
17th January 2008, 07:36 PM
It's a gift i have :DTell me about it...:rolleyes:

OlyFlyer
18th January 2008, 07:30 AM
Hi,

I have three Dell 2xxxWFP monitors. All very nice, I am very happy with them. The largest is a 27", unfortunatelly, it is not mine, my wife uses it. I also have one Philips Brillance 190P and an HP L1940T. The Philips is really nice, but the HP is not. I can't help you with prices since I am living in Sweden.

flying haggis
17th October 2008, 05:08 PM
Not sure who actually makes them, but the ones DELL badge are pretty good, I have their Ultra Sharp Wide Aspect one 20" only but when I tested its calibration via a website it seems to be well above average although not as good as one designed and calibrated for digital photographic work.

can i nick this thread and ask if you could post up a link to the calibration website!

joeletx
17th October 2008, 07:07 PM
Samsung, by far, has the best LCD monitor. I own a 17" and a 22" and the 22" never fail to impress me. The key of the LCD monitor, to me is the contrast ratio. My 22", in standard mode, is 1000/1 and 3000/1 DC when using the Samsung driver that adjust the contrast dynamically based on the light condition in your room. If I am shopping for 24", I am definitely going to get the 245BW (3,000/1 DC) or the 2493HM (10,000/1 DC).

http://www.samsung.com/us/consumer/detail/detail.do?group=computersperipherals&type=monitors&subtype=lcd&model_cd=LS24KIEEFV/XAA

timg
17th October 2008, 07:14 PM
I've always found ebuyer to be very reasonable on price

http://www.ebuyer.com/cat/Monitors/subcat/24%22+-LCD-Monitors

mas
18th October 2008, 09:58 AM
Worth checking the technology of a monitor you are thinking of. I know that Samsung have in the past sold three differnt types of LCD screen (of very different qualities) under exactly the same model number.
IPS PMA etc

http://www.pureoverclock.com/article641.html
http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/lcd-panel-types.php

The top end Dells are good and dell have been doing deals on them recently check the 5 days of deals thingy - remember that you can use quidco etc to get a rebate on dell.