PDA

View Full Version : Hi, website sofeware so people cant copy your photos help....

rea4444
2nd August 2009, 05:38 PM
Does anyone know of some good software that I could use to make a web site, so when people right click, they can not copy your photos?

I've seen it on a few web sites, I know you can watermake your photos, but people coul just copy and paste your photo and crop it to cut the water make off.

If anyone please could you let me know and where I could buy it.

Thanks...:)

ScubaRoy
2nd August 2009, 05:56 PM
Disabling the right click can be done with a few lines of javascript but all it does is make it less convenient not impossible to save your image.

What you want to ensure is that images posted are of sufficient resolution to be viewed on screen but not big enough to make a quality print. If the images are particularly commercially valuable then watermark them across the middle.

Roy

Wreckdiver
2nd August 2009, 06:07 PM
As Roy say's, it is very easy to add Javascript to disable mouse right clicks, just add this to the <body> tag:

<!-- Disable right mouse click -->
<script type="text/javascript">
<!-- Begin
function right(e) {
if (navigator.appName == 'Netscape' &&
(e.which == 3 || e.which == 2))
return false;
else if (navigator.appName == 'Microsoft Internet Explorer' &&
(event.button == 2 || event.button == 3)) {
alert("Copyright \u00A9 My name\n\n Right mouse click has been disabled on this page.");
return false;
}
return true;
}

document.onmousedown=right;
document.onmouseup=right;
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEDOWN);
if (document.layers) window.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEUP);
window.onmousedown=right;
window.onmouseup=right;
// End -->
</script>

This won't stop anyone saving the page and all images with it though.

I use Flash and if you have Flash CS3 or CS4 then you can get a superb application for around 50 from: SlideShow Pro (http://slideshowpro.net/). An example of Flash on my website is at: Thistlegorm (http://www.stevecain.co.uk/thistlegorm_fl.htm) and these pictures can't be copied.

However, if you publish low res photos at a small size suitable just for screen viewing they will be of virtually no use to anyone except other web use. If any visitor wants a hi-res version they will have to contact you.

Steve

David M
2nd August 2009, 06:31 PM
An example of Flash on my website is at: Thistlegorm (http://www.stevecain.co.uk/thistlegorm_fl.htm) and these pictures can't be copied.

Steve

Well, not without a couple of seconds work.

Wreckdiver
2nd August 2009, 06:48 PM
Well, not without a couple of seconds work.

Just a few :D but it does give a very professional look to a webpage.

Steve

Trausti Hraunfjord
3rd August 2009, 06:42 AM
Encryption of images exists, allowing people to see the image online, but it would not download to the temporary internet files folder in a viewable form, nor would one be able to right click and copy the image to one's puter. It would only result in an empty file. But that still leaves the possibility open for people to make a screenshot (print screen.... or use some screen capture program). That way they can get the images in the size it is displayed in.

If one could disable "print screen" key, and screen capture software while people are on the site... along with encryption... one would absolutely have a better security in place than the US military has on it's servers.

Here a few free flash photo programs:
http://ntt.cc/2008/04/10/over-15-free-powerful-and-easy-to-integrate-flash-image-gallery.html

j.baker
3rd August 2009, 07:28 AM
I work in the IT security industry, and here is my advice (most of which has already been said)

1. Use low resolution images (cheap/free)

2. You can add JavaScript code to your website, but it can be easily bypassed, and sometimes it irritate normal users. (free)

3. Water mark images (cheap/free)

4. You can use hidden water marking solutions. If someone uses your images (professionally), the embedded information in the image can normally be extracted by some image editing tools. (can be very costly).

Have a look at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_watermarking
https://www.digimarc.com/

5. Regarding encryption, yes it can be done. If you were to use some client side application code (Java or ActiveX) you could get the application to download from an encrypted source and display it as an overlay (video). The application could also disable print screen (on Windows this is fairly easy to do, but don't know about other operating systems). Also by using the video overlay, the image is added by the graphics card, and not the operating system. This makes getting a screen grab (print screen) very difficult, as it would normally grab a coloured block. This would cost a significant amount of money and time to develop, test and deploy.

Vokesie
3rd August 2009, 07:40 PM
Hi I use a free programme called Jalbum, which you can download, for a free programme it has a lot of features and the right click option is one of them,

www.jalbum.net,

I have used it for over a year and use it to sell images aswell (free Plug time) These are my current and main galleries

www.LMIphotography.co.uk/Cricket & www.LMIphotography.co.uk/Guilfest

Regards

Dave

Melaka
4th August 2009, 07:34 PM
A few years back a friend of mine had some photos copied from a web site and used by a company in its advertising. He threatened court action and after considerable negotiation the company settled for goods worth over 2,000 to my friend. Piracy and breach of copyright aren't always a lose lose situation.

shenstone
4th August 2009, 10:41 PM
Simpleviewer provides this function with one setting

Take a look at my website if you want to take a look at what it looks like

Not that that type of security is perfect as some above have commented, but it certainly removes the easy option

Regards
Andy

David M
4th August 2009, 10:51 PM
You can add JavaScript code to your website, but it can be easily bypassed, and sometimes it irritate normal users.

I know photo buyers/editors that it irritates. Some buyers/editors will skip a flash based site entirely.

A few years back a friend of mine had some photos copied from a web site and used by a company in its advertising. He threatened court action and after considerable negotiation the company settled for goods worth over 2,000 to my friend. Piracy and breach of copyright aren't always a lose lose situation.

A couple of years ago I knew a pro who maked a nice second income setting his lawyer on people who'd lifted photos from his web site.