PDA

View Full Version : Filters

chrism_scotland
2nd August 2009, 11:02 AM
Been looking at getting some filters for my soon to have E620, now I had problems buying filters for my old Sigma 10-20 but the widest lens I will have is likely the 9-18mm for the moment, I'm guessing I will get away with 85mm filters and I intend to order some from Hitech.

However I was wondering should I go for the wideangle holder or just a plain standard holder?

Chris

Kiwi Paul
2nd August 2009, 01:32 PM
One thing I have found with the 9-18 with a polarizer is the field of view is so wide the light polarization angle varies across the image and this can result in strange sky effects, I have experienced the sky in the central part of the image been saturated and the clouds enhanced as intended but a much less effect at the sides of the image. I use a standard 72mm filter that screws directly on the lens.

Paul

yorky
2nd August 2009, 01:34 PM
Been looking at getting some filters for my soon to have E620, now I had problems buying filters for my old Sigma 10-20 but the widest lens I will have is likely the 9-18mm for the moment, I'm guessing I will get away with 85mm filters and I intend to order some from Hitech.

However I was wondering should I go for the wideangle holder or just a plain standard holder?

Chris

If you are using the 9-18 wide angle you will get vignetting at the wide end with the Coking 100 mm. Its not a lot but its still there, I doubt if the 85 mm will be any use to you with that lens.

chrism_scotland
2nd August 2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks folks I think I will be trying to track down a 100mm filter holder then and some of the larger Hitech filters.

HughofBardfield
3rd August 2009, 01:01 PM
The problem is with the filter holder, not just the filters, Cokin do a cut down P series holder for wider lenses, or you can modify a standard holder by chopping off the front couple of slots. That works for the 11-22, but the 9-18 is that bit wider, so I would suggest "try before you buy" or buy from a source to whom you can return the filters if they don't suit.

Archphoto
3rd August 2009, 05:09 PM
An other thing with Cokin: you might have to grid down the inner edge of the adapter ring under an angle of 45 degrees in order to avoid vignetting.

I used that for some of my Large Format wide angle adapter rings......

Peter