PDA

View Full Version : Which bevel Cutter are you using

JackBenedict
31st July 2009, 12:15 PM
Hi there forum members - I would be interested in finding out what bevel cutters you use for mounting your prints and why , or by what other means you mount prints for display

Also if there anybody out there who has one and doesn't use it I may be interested in buying it from you.

ndl0071
31st July 2009, 12:48 PM
I use a Logan set up that I bought last year, I did look around but the advice I received from camera club members was that Logan are the best, I know that that there are cheaper options available but decided on this occasion I would pay a bit more for quality.
I have to say that so far the decision was the right one. I also had cause to contact Logan customer services in the USA, they were very prompt and helpful.
Hope this helps.

OlyPaul
31st July 2009, 02:24 PM
I've been using a Logan cutter in conjunction with the adaptor rule mounted on a home made custom board for years now.:)

Kiwi Paul
31st July 2009, 05:33 PM
I also use a a Logan, the "Matt Cutter Compact" although it's not really that compact (nearly a metre long), it comes with 2 cutters, a 45deg bevel cutter and a straight cutter, works well I'm pleased with it.
I also use an A3 card cutter that I bought from Paper Plus for £30, sometimes it's better for cutting the card to size for smaller prints.

I bought the Logan frm Great Art online, they had a really good deal right at the time I was buying but they seem to have good prices anyway.

Paul

Graham_of_Rainham
31st July 2009, 05:48 PM
MAPED - comes with 45 & 90 and a 600mm straight guide system

Available for any good art shop

JackBenedict
31st July 2009, 06:25 PM
Hi Neil - Can I ask what model you bought ?

ndl0071
31st July 2009, 06:53 PM
Hello Jack, I bought the Team Logan System 440 which comes with a rather long 40inch straight edge, the edge may be to long if you have a restricted working space or you are working with smallish mounts, I believe that you can buy smaller edges (24 inches) if it would serve your needs better.

Incidently my need to contact Logan customer services was not 'hardware' related it was user error:o

ndl0071
31st July 2009, 07:03 PM
Jack, a thought just occurred to me that if you are going to be cutting a lot of apertures one of these may be of use, I had one shipped over from Oz (Iím lazy) but you may be able to find a UK equivalent. Saves heaps of time and fiddly measurements

It's a linemaker from Frameco

http://www.clubframeco.com/PDF/Instruction%20Sheets/14418_LineMaker_FS.pdf

I Hope this is of some use.

JackBenedict
31st July 2009, 07:14 PM
Thanks Neil and thanks to all of you who responded. I won't need anything too expensive as I am only going to be doing a few prints a year for club competitions. I will have a look at your suggestions.
Thanks again

Invicta
31st July 2009, 10:12 PM
Hi there forum members - I would be interested in finding out what bevel cutters you use for mounting your prints and why , or by what other means you mount prints for display

Also if there anybody out there who has one and doesn't use it I may be interested in buying it from you.

I use a Logan Intermediate. This is the smallest Logan cutter that is a pull action rather than push action. A pull action makes it easier to get neat corners without little nicks.

stryker
1st August 2009, 08:27 AM
I go to my local picture framer who kindly cuts me an A3 mount for about £1.50.
He uses a computerised system so you get perfect bevelled mounts at the correct size for your print without having to buy loads of different coloured card or cutting kits.

Barrie Norman
1st August 2009, 08:36 AM
I use a Logan Intermediate. This is the smallest Logan cutter that is a pull action rather than push action. A pull action makes it easier to get neat corners without little nicks.

I have the same and it works very well I also have the Logan 900mm rule and push cutter its OK for cutting up board but the intermediate is a superb bevel cutter.

JackBenedict
1st August 2009, 01:29 PM
Invicta and Barrie - Thanks for the additional information. I will take your comments on board.

Stryker - I have a picture framers near to me but he wants £2.05 per apperture cut, so it won't take too many of those to equate to buying my own cutter.

Thanks guys for all your help. I have learnt a lot from this site. You really are a great crowd :D

shenstone
1st August 2009, 04:42 PM

Logan Compact 301-s

It's easy and doees up beyond A2 at a pinch which important as the Mrs is a Painter and I just borrow as needed. I do many A4 prints from the cu-outs of her painting mounts :cool:

I think it's great and the fact of being able to use any old frame that looks good by cutting a bespoke sized mount saves money as well :D:D

Regards
Andy

250swb
1st August 2009, 08:44 PM
I use a Logan Team System with 24" rule. Works very well.

Steve