PDA

View Full Version : This is FAB!

brob108
30th July 2009, 07:22 PM
This may be of interest to you as it shows what a group of like minded photographers can do.

Following on from the Capital of Culture last year a group of Liverpool photographers on Flickr started to think about what they could do to display their images from the year/carry on the momentum from 2008.

So, from January about 30 of us have been meeting every Monday to develop ideas and activities which will be culminating in a major exhibition in the city during the month of August.

We have called ourselves the FAB Collective (a pun on Magnum) and range from professional photographers to the enthusiastic who capture images of Liverpool and the people. We're not a camera club who discuss gear but we discuss artistic and creative ideas. So far we have gone round Liverpool capturing portraits and documenting one of the more bohemian streets in the city for a day. We are just about to launch our first exhibition and this has been particularly interesting.

We're self financing at the moment but for a small layout we've set up the exhibition in a bombed out church from World War II for a month with an A1 print on foam board from each of us with a quote based on Liverpool. This was inspired by a quote from Jack Straw, "You know what scousers are like, they're always up to something. Please do not repeat that to anyone from Liverpool". That was a challenge we had to rise to!

We've also arranged our own marketing campaign which has included an interview on the local BBC radio station, a major feature in the pullout section of the local daily paper tomorrow, flyers, posters, website and also networking groups (Flickr, Facebook and Twitter). We've generated a lot of interest in the city and major arts organisations have approached us to work together in the future. It's been a lot of work but seeing the exhibition go up today and the new marketing methods that have been used have been very inspiring.

On an Olympus note two of the photographers in the group are also on this forum; myslef (obviously) and Graham (Photonutter). There are a number of the group who have recently been bringing in their Olympus Trips so we're quite well represented.

If you're interested the website is www.fabcollective.com and the exhibition runs through August from Thursday to Sunday (12 - 4pm) at St Lukes Church.

I've attached our flyer and a couple of images from the press call (including one of me with my picture).

theMusicMan
30th July 2009, 09:09 PM
I don't see Mr Carr in there... I'm sure he was a member of the FAB Collective...?

Great idea though.

brob108
30th July 2009, 09:22 PM
Pete Carr is there - he's right at the back wearing the black trilby type hat and white shirt. A great photographer indeed.

How do you know him?

theMusicMan
30th July 2009, 09:26 PM
From another forum...

brob108
30th July 2009, 09:28 PM
From another forum...

Ahhhhh!

Would it be Talk Photography? He has a quiet time on there (okay I lied then).

theMusicMan
31st July 2009, 04:49 AM
Ahhhhh!

Would it be Talk Photography? He has a quiet time on there (okay I lied then).
Sure would... though he hasn't been on there for some time now. He goes through periods of activity then stops altogether. Excellent photographer indeed, but attracts a lot of flak though because of his style and approach.

ringneck
31st July 2009, 08:38 AM
Looks like a great and worthy project......I am still trying to find John Conteh and Parky in there.He he.

keith*chr

brob108
31st July 2009, 08:53 AM
Looks like a great and worthy project......I am still trying to find John Conteh and Parky in there.He he.

keith*chr

haha know what you mean! Can I be Paul cCartney please? (Well his bank account details will do just fine).

Here's thlink to the Lierpool Daily Post article today: http://www.liverpooldailypost.co.uk/liverpool-life-features/liverpool-arts/2009/07/31/photography-group-fab-collective-in-bombed-out-church-exhibition-92534-24277422/