PDA

View Full Version : Scotland meet up

Kiwi Paul
30th July 2009, 11:28 AM
Anyone interested in a Scotland meet up?
I'm in Aberdeen but can easily travel south if that fits in with more people.

Paul

beyond_words
30th July 2009, 12:53 PM
That's an aye! from me. I don't have a car -- it's such a nightmare to park in Edinburgh -- but I'm quite happy to jump on a bus or a train to get anywhere. It's not only good for the environment, so we're told, it also keeps the immune system topped up. :)

Graeme

EH1
30th July 2009, 02:05 PM
That's an aye! from me. I don't have a car -- it's such a nightmare to park in Edinburgh -- but I'm quite happy to jump on a bus or a train to get anywhere. It's not only good for the environment, so we're told, it also keeps the immune system topped up. :)

Graeme

Sorry, I was just being nosey seeing how you were getting on organising your meet & just thought this comment on public transport so funny*yes I think I might have just wet myself!:D:D

Kiwi Paul
30th July 2009, 02:21 PM
Thats great Graeme, Garrie and possibly one other from the 4/3rds group are keen too, so thats potentially 4 already, ATM the end of Aug or sometime in Sept look best but we'll see who's interested then plan around peoples availability. I'll be driving so depending on where we meet I can pick you up from a bus or train station or wherever :-)

Paul

crimbo
30th July 2009, 06:48 PM
Anyone interested in a Scotland meet up?
I'm in Aberdeen but can easily travel south if that fits in with more people.

Paul

Excellent...fancy getting on the north boat and meeting up here?:D

Garrie
4th August 2009, 10:08 PM
Thats great Graeme, Garrie and possibly one other from the 4/3rds group are keen too, so thats potentially 4 already, ATM the end of Aug or sometime in Sept look best but we'll see who's interested then plan around peoples availability. I'll be driving so depending on where we meet I can pick you up from a bus or train station or wherever :-)

Paul

Yup I'm there :p

Kiwi Paul
4th August 2009, 11:05 PM
What dates suit you guys and any idea of where to go? I'm keen on heading down your way as it will give me somewhere new to see.

Paul

StephenL
6th August 2009, 05:35 PM
I'm interested too. I would have replied earlier, but my whole phone line with broadband has been down for 2 weeks.

Kiwi Paul
6th August 2009, 10:24 PM
Great Stephen, any suggestions where we could go? Whats the coastal area like around your way?

Paul

beyond_words
7th August 2009, 06:59 AM
Excellent, it's great to have Stephen and Garrie on board ... and possibly Chris. :) (I wouldn't mind heading up to Shetland sometime this year, actually, as I've never been there. Anyone else fancy?)

Here are a few other places we could go that are sort-of half way between us all: St Andrews (for the beach), The Falkirk Wheel, Stirling (for the Wallace Monument) and Dundee (they've got life-sized bronze statues of characters from the Beano and Dandy scattered about the city; how cool is that?!)

Other than the 13th, 18th and 19th of August, I'm free to meet up any time.

All the best,

Graeme

Kiwi Paul
7th August 2009, 08:04 AM
Actually I do fancy a Shetland trip as well, never been, it looks very rugged, maybe we can organise something sometime.

As far as the meet, later in Aug or anytime in Sept would suit me, either a Sat or Sun. If all those intersted who haven't said when they can or can't make it can confirm their availability then we can set a date and then decide a venue.

Looking forward to it :D

Paul

crimbo
7th August 2009, 04:17 PM
Okay...so a Shetland trip in the future...but do not leave it too long as they intend building Europe's largest wind farm so some spectacular views will change
If you intend an Up Helly Aa trip for the last week in January then be reasonably quick as travel and accommodation fills up quickly and if you want me to get you tickets for a hall that needs to be by the end of October

StephenL
8th August 2009, 05:26 PM
The coast round here tends to be very sandy - lots of dunes and big skies. Good for sunsets if the conditions are right. Examples are Gullane and Yellowcraigs. One or two small fishing ports, such as Port Seton. Inland is very agricultural.

Great Stephen, any suggestions where we could go? Whats the coastal area like around your way?

Paul

crimbo
9th August 2009, 09:15 AM
Okay... a Shetland meet may be some time in the future but you can get a flavour here - http://issuu.com/martin-images/docs/third_issue_august_09

Kenz
11th August 2009, 09:01 PM
Thats sounds a great idea, I am up for the meet.

But am busy on the 19-20 september, any other time will do me.:)

Kenz
11th August 2009, 09:02 PM
Forgot to mention I am in Fife and can pick some up no problem.:)

Kiwi Paul
11th August 2009, 09:32 PM
Thats great, hopefully we have quite few along. I'm trying to sort out when I'm free then I'll put out a post proposing some dates, we still need to decide on a venue so all suggestions welcome.

Paul

yellergixer
13th August 2009, 10:36 PM
Hi, been lurking on this thread for a while and I'd like to register my interest too!

Cant promise I'll be along as I work shifts and also have a young family to entertain, but if it suits I'll try and make it.

As for ideas of places to go I may have a couple of ideas if it helps, Dundee isnt too bad but pretty much like most other towns, the cartoon characters mentioned are good, but there are only the two in the main town square as far as I know (Ive lived near Dudee for nearly 15 yrs now and not seen any more but I could be wrong!!)

One idea is, if your interested in vintage cars, last year, I went out for a spin along Loch Tay on my motorbike and bumped into a vintage car rally at Killin. There were about 50 cars and had stopped for lunch, it was their annual run, and they certainly didnt mind people walking through them taking pics. I got some great ones, and intend to get them this year if poss.

Ian
21st August 2009, 11:10 AM
The chances of me being able to do a Scotland meet after committing to the Wales and Stamford meets is, admittedly, slim, but never say never. If you can crystallise a date, I can see what's possible :) I'd REALLY like to join you...

Ian

theMusicMan
21st August 2009, 11:15 AM
D'ya know what... depending on date and location, I might have a serious think about this too. Edi or Glasgow can be flown to from Cardiff... we'll see... :)

Kiwi Paul
21st August 2009, 02:15 PM
Excellent, I'll put out a few tentative dates this weekend, I've finally sorted when I'm available so we can see who can make it when and take it from there, still need to decide where we are going but it will be around the central belt. I'll have my car so can easily pickup drop folk if anyone needs it.

Paul

Kiwi Paul
25th August 2009, 03:22 PM
Right folks, heres some dates. If you can indicate which dates you can or can't make then we can take it from there.

Sat 12 or Sun 13 Sep
Sat 19 or Sun 20 Sep
Sat 10 or Sun 11 Oct
Sat 17 or Sun 18 Oct

Cheers,

Paul

StephenL
25th August 2009, 03:28 PM
Weekends and Mondays are no good to me :( That's when I work :eek: Well, sort of... ;)
Although under the new Laird that might change.

Kenz
26th August 2009, 09:03 PM
I am available for anytime on october. thats fine by me.:)

Cheers

gregles
27th August 2009, 12:35 AM
I am lurking on this thread too;)

Depending on family commitments I may be able to make a Sunday date but I cant be positive about it:confused:

I will continue to lurk to see when you guys agree a date and keep my fingers crossed:cool:

gregles
31st August 2009, 07:47 PM
I wasn't lurking in a scary way:)

alert_bri
1st September 2009, 01:45 PM
Just added a link to this thread from our Local Olympus Photo Safari Group in Scotland (http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=106478543555192071681.000460c82d3242a1f136b&ll=55.96227,-3.12561&spn=0.621863,2.102509&z=10)...

Good luck everyone! wish I could be there with you... hopefully in the not too distant future! *chr

Kind Regards

Brian

Ian
7th September 2009, 08:51 AM
Hi everyone, after the super successes of the recent meets in Stamford and Abergavenny, I'm keen to see if I can make it to Scotland - is there any clearer consensus on dates yet? :)

Ian

Kiwi Paul
7th September 2009, 02:06 PM
I propose either of these weekends in October, I'd prefer a Sunday but can do either day.
Ian it would be really great if you could join us so if the dates below don't suit please indicate when you can make it.

Sat 10 or Sun 11 Oct
Sat 17 or Sun 18 Oct

I think we should meet up in the central belt, I'm not too familiar with that area so can anyone suggest where we can meet. I guess if we can decide what we would like to photograph that will make it easier to decide where to meet. I would probably prefer landscape and architecture type stuff but are open to suggestions.

Paul

theMusicMan
7th September 2009, 02:12 PM
I appreciate it is up to those going, but architecture can be obtained almost anywhere whereas that beautiful Scottish landscape is only available up there :) I know what I'd prefer.

Kiwi Paul
7th September 2009, 02:15 PM
I've got my local camra club meeting tomorrow so i'll ask if they have any suggestions where to go and what to photogragh, I'm sure they will, I'd have asked them earlier but the club has just started for the 2009 10 year. So stay glued to this channel :)

*chr

Paul

theMusicMan
9th September 2009, 04:51 PM
Any news on this Paul...?

Zuiko
9th September 2009, 06:24 PM
I've got my local camra club meeting tomorrow so i'll ask if they have any suggestions where to go and what to photogragh, I'm sure they will, I'd have asked them earlier but the club has just started for the 2009 10 year. So stay glued to this channel :)

*chr

Paul

Hi Paul,

Why not consider the Trossachs? Easily accessible, loads of hills, lochs and trees, the chance to climb Ben An (if the weather is good), which is quite a small hill with spectacular views over the surrounding lochs, the autumn colours should be underway in October, and there are woodland streams and waterfalls to make suitable subjects if the weather is bad.

Just a thought....:)

Kiwi Paul
9th September 2009, 06:28 PM
Sorry John I arrived late at the club and we had a busy night and I didn't get a chance to ask, I'm out tonight but I'll phone one of the guys tomorrow and see what he suggests.

I've had no other responses from anyone here so not sure if the Oct dates suit, once I decide on a location, I'll set a date and see what people say, I'll try to get something firm by the end of this week or the weekend at the latest.

Paul

Kiwi Paul
9th September 2009, 06:30 PM
Thanks for the suggestion John, sounds good to me, I'll look it up on Google so I know where it is and take it from there :-)

Paul

Zuiko
13th September 2009, 08:24 PM
Any further thoughts on this meet? :)

Kiwi Paul
13th September 2009, 09:08 PM
I think the Trossachs is a great place to go well suggested Zuiko here's a link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=trossachs&sll=55.971493,-3.987007&sspn=0.13199,0.354309&ie=UTF8&ll=56.182254,-4.275055&spn=0.525077,1.94046&z=10)

How about the weekend of 10 -11 Oct probably the 11 which is a Sunday would suit me better but I can do either day or even both if I stay in a B&B or something overnight.

Paul

jamie allan
14th September 2009, 09:07 PM
Paul,
I've been watching this thread but can't really commit to anything over the next month due to work commitments and I'm going to Japan the first couple of weeks in Oct to visit my daughter. Thought some people might be interested in this though

http://www.doorsopendays.org.uk/opendays/area_programmes.aspx?areaid=18

I normally go to the Glasgow weekend and you get to see inside some amazing structures
Jamie

Ian
16th September 2009, 10:59 AM
Well I'm up for the meet if a firm date can be settled on, and I'm working on bringing a VIP along, but I can't reveal who until it's confirmed. :)

Ian

Zuiko
16th September 2009, 11:46 AM
Well I'm up for the meet if a firm date can be settled on, and I'm working on bringing a VIP along, but I can't reveal who until it's confirmed. :)

Ian

Didn't know Bailey was into landscapes.......:D

Kiwi Paul
16th September 2009, 12:02 PM
Great Ian, no other responses yet so don't know what that means, I'll repost with a diifferent heading to see if I can attract more attention. You've got me wondering who the VIP is :)

Paul

StephenL
16th September 2009, 12:03 PM
It's the weekends which snooker me, I'm afraid.

Kiwi Paul
16th September 2009, 12:09 PM
The Trossachs seems to be a good place fairly central and would appear to be lots to see and places to go. Here's a link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?ie=UTF8&ll=56.194863,-4.281921&spn=0.262453,0.97023&z=11)
How about one of the days (or even both days) in the weekend of 10 -11 Oct :-)

Paul

Kiwi Paul
17th September 2009, 10:39 AM
That a shame Stephen but the weekend suits most folk as they are working Mon-Fri :-)
Paul

StephenL
17th September 2009, 10:49 AM
Oh, I fully understand. It's still not out of the question, but it will have to be a last-minute decision ;)

That a shame Stephen but the weekend suits most folk as they are working Mon-Fri :-)
Paul

Kiwi Paul
17th September 2009, 11:15 AM
Well hope you can make it, I still have to finalise exactly where to meet and what day or days (Sat or Sun or both).

Paul

scanny
17th September 2009, 12:36 PM
Hi Woofmix

The Trossachs is a perfect location , not quite as far as lochaber or the great Glen but still having the variety. I came down from Skye on Tuesday and was greeted with a mirror flat loch on several occasions. The last time i went to Fort William(June http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=5775) i stopped just past Strathyre to have a picnic and to my luck there was a golden eagle hovering in the breeze at the cliff face 200 yards away.

October usually holds good weather and clear skies so hopefully if im free i will join you. Stirling is a good starting point or Callander possibly on the east, if on the west Balloch is good.

Zuiko
20th September 2009, 11:15 PM

Ian

VIP - Very Important Person? or Very Important Panasonic? :D

The GF-1? ;)

gregles
20th September 2009, 11:58 PM
Still lurking but would love to come along. It will be a last minute decision for me whether I can make it though.

yellergixer
22nd September 2009, 09:52 PM
Still lurking but would love to come along. It will be a last minute decision for me whether I can make it though.

Thats the same for me too.

I will try my best to make it though

ardvorlich
29th September 2009, 12:46 PM
I think The Trossachs would be an excellent choice.From Callander you can easily reach Loch Katrine and the old steamships that still operate there.Go up slightly towards Balquhidder and Loch Voil and you have the old Kirk and burial place of Rob Roy and some stunning locations akin to Canada.Loch Earn and the old viaduct between Lochearn and Killen on Loch Tay .The disused railway that was part of original west coast line is a spectacular walk .The Diel's Cauldron and Hydro Dam is well worth visiting ,I could go on and on but if you need directions or help visiting the area im blessed to live in just give me a shout .
regards all Iain

Kiwi Paul
29th September 2009, 02:13 PM
Excellent Iain thanks for that, so Callander is the best place to meet then, any suggestions where abouts in Callander?

Ok here we go...

It's Sun 11 Oct meet at Callander say 11am exact meeting spot TBD.

Can all those who are coming please respond so we know how many etc. Is anyone needs picking up then please say so.

Paul

ardvorlich
29th September 2009, 03:17 PM
I would suggest either Rob Roy visitors centre in main square or The Dreadnought Hotel at the old railway station.
Iain

theMusicMan
29th September 2009, 05:40 PM
Awww damn.... I've been looking up flights and hotels, but the 10th is my lad Lloyds birthday so I need to be here then, but there's no flights available very early on the 11th or later on 10th. Would love to have come.

Kenz
29th September 2009, 08:01 PM
I will be there:)

I will just keep eye on forum for exact meeting place.

See you all there.

Ken*chr

Kiwi Paul
30th September 2009, 10:05 AM
OK we will meet at the Roy Roy visitor centre in the Callander town square 11am

link (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Rob+Roy+visitor+centre,&sll=56.24415,-4.214544&sspn=0.001039,0.002406&ie=UTF8&radius=0.05&filter=0&rq=1&ev=zi&ll=56.24415,-4.214544&spn=0.001039,0.002406&z=19)

I'll PM those coming later with my cellphone # so we can keep in touch etc.

Paul

Ian
1st October 2009, 10:16 PM
I'm still working out whether to fly or not. How far is it from Glasgow airport? Is there any chance of a lift from the airport on the morning of the meet?

Ian

Ian
3rd October 2009, 06:20 PM
On bended knee - is anyone able to give me a lift from Glasgow airport on the day (and back afterwards)? I don't want anyone to go way out of their way though.

Ian

Ian
5th October 2009, 11:14 AM
It looks like I can let the trains take the strain, all the way to Dunblane, which is only 12 miles from Callander - as long as I can get a lift to and from Callander next Sunday :o

Am I right in thinking these are the possibles for the day:

woofmix
crimbo
garrie
susan
beyond words
Kenz
Yellergixer
Gregles
Scanny
Ardvorlich
Ian

Any others? :)

I will only be able to bring a selection of my kit because I won't be driving. I do want to bring the 90-250, and the 150 f/2, plus the 7-14, 9-18, 14-35 f/2. Is there anything else anyone is very keen to try on the day?

Depending on the weather forecast, I may only bring my E-3 and the E-P1, but if the forecast is OK, I will bring the E-30 instead of the E-3. DO I need to bring an E-620 or the E-450?

Is there anything else that I should ask Olympus for that I don't have?

Cheers!

Ian

Shaw
5th October 2009, 12:24 PM
I shall also manage to come along. I will be coming from south Aberdeenshire and can pick up people on the way including Ian from Dunblane station.

Stewart

Kiwi Paul
5th October 2009, 12:52 PM
Thats great Stewart , I have already arranged to pick Ian up from Dunblane so just meet at Callander Rob Roy Centre around 11am.

Paul

Ian
5th October 2009, 05:02 PM
OK, it's all booked - got a really good train price (first class at almost standard class prices on Virgin, though no free meals on weekends), and a cheap and cheerful sounding hotel near Glasgow Central station. Wifi on the train, too - so that should be a novel experience :)

Really looking forward to the trip now!

Ian

nballard
6th October 2009, 11:08 AM
I have been lurking on this thread as well, and now everything has been decided I am glad to say that I will be there..

I'll also be bring a couple of friends, one of which is an Olympus user. The other is her husband who acts as a sherpa on our photo days out.

Neil

Ian
6th October 2009, 11:20 AM
I have been lurking on this thread as well, and now everything has been decided I am glad to say that I will be there..

I'll also be bring a couple of friends, one of which is an Olympus user. The other is her husband who acts as a sherpa on our photo days out.

Neil

Great news, Neil! Looking forward to meeting you and your friends. :)

I'm bringing along a bag of assorted Olympus promotional goodies, like USB pens, leans cleaning pens, etc. - I hope I don't have to bring any of it home again! :D

Ian

Ian
6th October 2009, 11:25 AM
In keen anticipation, I have created a gallery home for all the images I'm looking forward to from Sunday - see:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/838

Best plonk them there as they will be easier to find in a central location like this.

Ian

theMusicMan
6th October 2009, 12:37 PM
Really wanted to attend this meet up. But it is Lloyds birthday on 10th, and getting there late that evening is almost impossible.

Hope you all have a great time though.

yellergixer
6th October 2009, 08:45 PM
Would anyone mind if my wife and kids came along as well (Theyll be my means of transport anyway).

If they get bored, or in the way they can go shopping, which wont be a problem for them

Ian
7th October 2009, 08:41 AM
Would anyone mind if my wife and kids came along as well (Theyll be my means of transport anyway).

If they get bored, or in the way they can go shopping, which wont be a problem for them

No problem at all - Julia and the kids came to the Wales meet last month.

Ian

theMusicMan
7th October 2009, 08:42 AM
Aye... my wife didn't come but my kids did! :)

crimbo
7th October 2009, 12:15 PM
well enjoy yourselves ... look forward to the images ... and Ian - can you work on Oly sponsorship for a Shetland meet up ;-)

Kiwi Paul
7th October 2009, 12:36 PM
For those who are coming, please PM me if you want my mobile number incase you want to contact me, I don't want to post it on the forum.

See you Sunday :-)

Cheers,

Paul

Ian
7th October 2009, 12:38 PM
well enjoy yourselves ... look forward to the images ... and Ian - can you work on Oly sponsorship for a Shetland meet up ;-)

Sounds like we won't be seeing you on Sunday?

The weather forecast is looking good for Sunday, too.

Ian

crimbo
7th October 2009, 12:45 PM
Sounds like we won't be seeing you on Sunday?

The weather forecast is looking good for Sunday, too.

Ian

fraid not...not sure I could find a flight down that would allow me to meet up before I had to turn around and go back...but I look forward to you coming to Shetland one day...you can fly from London in about4 hours with stops ;-)

Ian
7th October 2009, 01:30 PM
fraid not...not sure I could find a flight down that would allow me to meet up before I had to turn around and go back...but I look forward to you coming to Shetland one day...you can fly from London in about4 hours with stops ;-)

Oh yes - I forgot just how far north Shetland is :)

Ian

gregles
9th October 2009, 09:22 AM
Looks like I will be there too :)

See you Sunday:D

Ian
10th October 2009, 07:55 AM
Looks like I will be there too :)

See you Sunday:D

Looking forward to it! The weather forecast remains good with 13C, dry, with sunny intervals :)

Have we formed any opinions on particular locations to target yet?

Ian

Ian
10th October 2009, 08:01 AM
Just to summarise:

If anyone else wants to come along - we'll be at the Rob Roy visitor centre at 11AM in Callander town square, West of Dunblane. PM me or Woofmix for contact details - anyone is welcome!

Ian

Kiwi Paul
10th October 2009, 09:50 AM
I've printed off a wee map that pretty much does a circle from Callander and back again taking in various picturesque locations but all open to other ideas especially in anyone has experience of the area.

Looking forward to it, see you all tomorrow.

Paul

Zuiko
10th October 2009, 10:05 AM
Sorry I cann't make it, it's just too far. I hope you all have a really wonderful day and look forward to the pictures. It's a fantastic location! :)

andym
10th October 2009, 12:18 PM
Have a good time.

Don't forget to look out for a piper for my live music challenge.;)

Looking forward to seeing some pictures.

Ellie
10th October 2009, 10:41 PM
Have a fabulous time tomorrow *chr

Let's hope the weather is kind, but even if it isn't I'm sure you'll all enjoy the day out and get some stunning pictures

StephenL
11th October 2009, 06:37 AM
Looks a promising day today weather-wise. Wish I could be with you but I have work to do! Have a great time and come back with some worthy shots!

Garrie
11th October 2009, 04:43 PM
Hi all,

Well we are just in from the Scotland meet. I'd like to thank everyone for making me and Susan feel welcome, it was a great turn out.

We met some great people today and we've throughly enjoyed ourselves

I like to thank Ian for making the time and effort to come up and see us all in Sunny Scotland (I really do mean sunny). Although I'm now lusting after a 7 - 14mm and also the 90 - 250, hmmm.

Thanks again
Garrie & Susan

Ian
11th October 2009, 04:46 PM
Great time had by all. Sunny but occasionally very windy! Am just on the train headed back into Glasgow. Will try to post some shots when I'm on the Virgin train back to London.

Ian

Ian
11th October 2009, 04:51 PM
Garrie, you and Susan got home quick! It was a real pleasure to meet you both!

Ian

yellergixer
11th October 2009, 06:40 PM
It was a great day, even the wife and kids enjoyed themselves, they loved the EP1, even though I forgot to tell them about the video mode:confused:

It was a pleasure to meet you all and a big thanks to Ian for coming up all that way and lending out all that nice stuff. I loved that 150 by the way.

I'll get some photos up soon