PDA

View Full Version : NOW CONFIRMED - 5th Sept: South Wales meet - details inside

theMusicMan
29th July 2009, 09:37 PM
Hi All

It's summer time... yes really - it is!!! so I guess it's that time of year again to don your wet weather gear and get out on an e-group meet up!!

OK, being serious for a minute, there's a good thread started by EH-1 here http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6087 - where possible meet ups are being discussed, and I thought it best if I started a new thread regarding a meet in South Wales rather than hijack EH-1's thread.

I'm happy to make arrangements to meet up somewhere in the South Wales area; Newport, Cardiff, Coast, Brecon Beacons, Valleys... depends really on what the majority wish to shoot. This can be discussed and an interesting route scheduled if we get enough interest.

So, if you are interested in venturing to the Welshy side of the Severn bridge... (we don't bite... just charge you to get in, hehe) please drop a note in this thread and we can discuss dates, venues etc.

Cheers...

EDIT: To include a list of members interested

theMusicMan - John
Ian - Ian
j.baker - John
t.baker - Teresa (Johns good lady wife)
PaulE - Paul (provisional)
steverh - Steve
JackBenedict - Jack
stevednp3 x 2 - Steve?
Shenstone - Andy

10 so far.

Ian
29th July 2009, 10:03 PM
Hi All

It's summer time... yes really - it is!!! so I guess it's that time of year again to don your wet weather gear and get out on an e-group meet up!!

OK, being serious for a minute, there's a good thread started by EH-1 here http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6087 - where possible meet ups are being discussed, and I thought it best if I started a new thread regarding a meet in South Wales rather than hijack EH-1's thread.

I'm happy to make arrangements to meet up somewhere in the South Wales area; Newport, Cardiff, Coast, Brecon Beacons, Valleys... depends really on what the majority wish to shoot. This can be discussed and an interesting route scheduled if we get enough interest.

So, if you are interested in venturing to the Welshy side of the Severn bridge... (we don't bite... just charge you to get in, hehe) please drop a note in this thread and we can discuss dates, venues etc.

Cheers...

Our Caerleon meet last year was a bit damp and a vowed to make a return trip when the weather was better :)

Depending on the date, I'm definitely interested!

Ian

j.baker
30th July 2009, 07:32 AM
I am up for it John :D

theMusicMan
30th July 2009, 08:44 AM
Thanks John and Ian... that's three of us then so far... :)

PaulE
30th July 2009, 09:09 AM
August is set to be a very busy month for me but I'd like to try and make such a meet if possible. I think the easiest thing to do is to put my name down as a proviosional yes and when the rest of you have arranged a date I'll confirm if I can make it or not.
Paul.

steverh
31st July 2009, 06:37 PM
I'm afraid I am still in lurk mode - but I will come if I can!

It can't be as wet as our trip to Caerleon, surely. :eek:

JackBenedict
4th August 2009, 06:41 PM
Has this meet been organised yet? I may be interested if the date(s) are convenient.

theMusicMan
4th August 2009, 06:44 PM
Has this meet been organised yet? I may be interested if the date(s) are convenient.Not yet Jack... I am waiting to see if a few more people are interested, then I shall propose a date and time.*chr

stevednp3
4th August 2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah I'd be up for a meet in any of the places above, if its on a weekend im sure my business partner would love to come to as hes another olympus user.

So count another 2 in :)

shenstone
4th August 2009, 10:37 PM
Certainly interested and willing to help pick a location

Some Ideas probably weather independent..

St Fagans Folk Museum .. Free
Big Pit & Blaenavon Iron Works... Both Free

if it's fine...

Loads of spectacular castles (some with entry charges)
Timtern/Llanthony if people like the ecclesiastical
Cawewent if people like more of the Roman

Regards
Andy

theMusicMan
4th August 2009, 10:42 PM
Just updated the first post to include a list of names of those who are interested. We're up to 9 now, I'll leave for another few days to see if anyone else is interested, then we can throw a few dates and locations around.

I like Andy's suggestions of castles... wonder how many of those we could get to in a day! :)

shenstone
4th August 2009, 11:06 PM
what time is that editing posts.... don't you have a bed to go to!

theMusicMan
4th August 2009, 11:21 PM
what time is that editing posts.... don't you have a bed to go to!
Hehe Andy.... yep, I do, but darned kids and their girlfriend squabbles... grrrrr

I am off now though. zzzzzzz :)

j.baker
5th August 2009, 06:18 AM
John,

Teresa will also be coming with me......like I could get away with not taking her :)

theMusicMan
5th August 2009, 06:21 AM
John,

Teresa will also be coming with me......like I could get away with not taking her :)Thanks for letting me know this John, I've added Teresa to the list in the first post. :tup

j.baker
5th August 2009, 06:25 AM
Andy,

The last time I met up with John, I (and the wife) went up to the big pit.

Its about a 15-20 minute drive from Johns area. You are also NOT allowed to take any electrical equipment down into the pit......as we found out last time.

stevednp3
5th August 2009, 09:01 AM
I think the big pit is a good idea, there are some great photo opportunities up there, with the pit, coal houses (which was on BBC tv) and nearby lakes etc

benvendetta
5th August 2009, 11:24 AM
What about a waterfall tour? Plenty in the Neath Valley and in the SW corner of the Brecon Beacons.
Not sure if I would be able to go though but it is a suggestion for you all.

shenstone
5th August 2009, 09:05 PM
What about a waterfall tour? Plenty in the Neath Valley and in the SW corner of the Brecon Beacons.
Not sure if I would be able to go though but it is a suggestion for you all.

They were stunning last weekend

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/waterfalls1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/16915)

I spent some time taking set sof trying out some HDR work, but here's a singleton

It's quite a walk mind and Next time I intend taking some climbing gear so I can get where I want to be for my pictures as there were a few too many trees in the way

theMusicMan
6th August 2009, 05:08 AM
Oooh, I'm liking that image Andy, and the idea sprang to mind of a 'Castles and Waterfalls' trip. Can you advise which photogenic Castles are in the area of the Waterfalls...?

shenstone
6th August 2009, 07:46 PM
Andy,

The last time I met up with John, I (and the wife) went up to the big pit.

Its about a 15-20 minute drive from Johns area. You are also NOT allowed to take any electrical equipment down into the pit......as we found out last time.

Hi John

No, but there's a lot on the surface and in that are you also have ...

The Iron Works / Coal house cottages

http://www.cadw.wales.gov.uk/default.asp?id=6&PlaceID=145

The Railway

http://www.pontypool-and-blaenavon.co.uk/pages/GALLERY%20SELECT.htm

And .... The Lamb & Fox pub !

benvendetta
6th August 2009, 10:18 PM
I hosted an Olympus UKPSG meet at Big Pit in May - top place and FREE. The trip underground is the icing on the cake even though you can't take your camera done.
It is only about 8 miles from home.

theMusicMan
7th August 2009, 05:29 AM
It's an interesting place indeed, but I'd never go down there - oh no sir, not this fella. Claustrophobic you see. Plenty to see 'up top' though, so still good for a visit. Personally, I'd suggest we could try a two location trip on the day. I'll kick some dates and locations around next week and we'll see what transpires.

stevednp3
7th August 2009, 05:38 PM
Heres a shot I took the last time I visted the coal houses

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/Panorama2.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/16959)

shenstone
12th August 2009, 09:43 PM
Heres a shot I took the last time I visted the coal houses

me too... Only it was sunny for once ...

Regards
Andy

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/blaenavon1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/17074)

j.baker
17th August 2009, 02:44 PM
John,

Have you come up with a list of dates/times and locations?

TIA

theMusicMan
17th August 2009, 04:40 PM
Hi All

Thanks for the reminder John...

Here's a list of suggested dates and locations to visit, depending on what those who can come along want to photography. Personally, with careful planning, I think that we could quite easily include two locations during the day, which would allow double the opportunity for taking different génre of photographs. So, here goes... please let me know what you think;

Suggested Dates:
Saturday 29th August
Sunday 30th August
Saturday 5th September
Sunday 6th September
Saturday 12th September
Sunday 13th September

Locations: Each of these locations can form one part of a two location visit - more opportunities for us to get some superb shots. I shall obviously include a location for a break for lunch/dinner etc, and it also means that people can choose to attend for just the morning or afternoon/evening sessions.

1: Brecon Beacons, Lower and Upper Neuadd Reservoirs: reservoirs, landscapes, sunrise and/or sunsets, waterfalls ,forest scenes. Beautiful scenery for the landscape photographer.
2: Ystradfellte & Waterfalls Tour: Beautiful location for stunning waterfalls, just a short 20-30 minute drive from the Neuadd reservoir.
3: Welsh Castles: there are many castles nestled in the South Wales area, all within visiting distance. If we decide to visit and photograph a castle, I'll plan it such that the one we visit is close(ish) to any other we plan to visit during the day.
4: Big Pit & the Mining Museum: An interesting visit for those who haven't visited before. You're not allowed to take cameras down the pit, but there is plenty to photograph above ground. It is close to 1, 2 and 3.
5: South Wales Bays and Beaches: there are numerous gorgeous beaches and cliffs along the South East Wales coastline; eg: Southerndown, Ogmore by Sea - and all of these are East of Swansea i.e. SE Wales. We could perhaps accommodate a beach location and one of the above. Obviously a little more travel is needed, but it is only an hour from the coast to the Beacons.

There you go, hopefully everything that has been suggested in this thread is included here, and of course I am happy to add additional locations if necessary, though too many options might mean we never make a decision! Give me a little more time (maybe this evening) and I shall post up a Google Map with each of these locations, this might enable you to make a better informed decision.

So please let me know in this thread what your thoughts are, and we can make some final plans for what I hope will be an excellent day out.

Ta

j.baker
17th August 2009, 04:49 PM
My vote is for option 2 Ystradfellte & Waterfalls Tour or option 1 Brecon Beacons, Lower and Upper Neuadd Reservoirs

Teresa and I can do most dates, however I woud like to point out that the M4 can get busy on a bank holiday weekend....especially near bristol.

theMusicMan
17th August 2009, 05:16 PM
Could do those two locations in a day quite comfortably, John.

stevednp3
17th August 2009, 05:52 PM
Hi All

Im ok for any location and any date apart from the 29th August

My vote would also be the first 3 as I dont get a chance to do much landscape photography and would love to hear everyones tricks and tips

It would be me and hopefully my business partner as well

JackBenedict
17th August 2009, 06:35 PM
Hi All

Thanks for the reminder John...

Here's a list of suggested dates and locations to visit, depending on what those who can come along want to photography. Personally, with careful planning, I think that we could quite easily include two locations during the day, which would allow double the opportunity for taking different génre of photographs. So, here goes... please let me know what you think;

Suggested Dates:
Saturday 29th August
Sunday 30th August
Saturday 5th September
Sunday 6th September
Saturday 12th September
Sunday 13th September

Locations: Each of these locations can form one part of a two location visit - more opportunities for us to get some superb shots. I shall obviously include a location for a break for lunch/dinner etc, and it also means that people can choose to attend for just the morning or afternoon/evening sessions.

1: Brecon Beacons, Lower and Upper Neuadd Reservoirs: reservoirs, landscapes, sunrise and/or sunsets, waterfalls ,forest scenes. Beautiful scenery for the landscape photographer.
2: Ystradfellte & Waterfalls Tour: Beautiful location for stunning waterfalls, just a short 20-30 minute drive from the Neuadd reservoir.
3: Welsh Castles: there are many castles nestled in the South Wales area, all within visiting distance. If we decide to visit and photograph a castle, I'll plan it such that the one we visit is close(ish) to any other we plan to visit during the day.
4: Big Pit & the Mining Museum: An interesting visit for those who haven't visited before. You're not allowed to take cameras down the pit, but there is plenty to photograph above ground. It is close to 1, 2 and 3.
5: South Wales Bays and Beaches: there are numerous gorgeous beaches and cliffs along the South East Wales coastline; eg: Southerndown, Ogmore by Sea - and all of these are East of Swansea i.e. SE Wales. We could perhaps accommodate a beach location and one of the above. Obviously a little more travel is needed, but it is only an hour from the coast to the Beacons.

There you go, hopefully everything that has been suggested in this thread is included here, and of course I am happy to add additional locations if necessary, though too many options might mean we never make a decision! Give me a little more time (maybe this evening) and I shall post up a Google Map with each of these locations, this might enable you to make a better informed decision.

So please let me know in this thread what your thoughts are, and we can make some final plans for what I hope will be an excellent day out.

Ta

Hi All,

Bank Holiday weekend is out for me totally - Wedding Anniversary,Daughters Birthday,Daughters engagement ( well I am still living in hope,but the rumours are stronger this time around ) and I had previously booked to go St Donat's Castle in the Vale of Glamorgan B/H Mon ( organised Tour ). For me the first 3 are great,I not too fussed about Big Pit and the surrounding areas.

The reason ( if I can make any agreed date ) is that I bought my 11-22 from a fellow forum member with the purpose of going up to the Beacons to take some landscapes. Only that weekend it p....d down,and when the fog closed in all around we spent the rest of the af:)ternoon discussing photography in a pub in Trecastle - so for me a second shot at it would be good.:)

theMusicMan
17th August 2009, 07:04 PM
Here is a Google Map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111041695827605734259.00046fef3f09badc3e529&ll=51.819227,-3.352203&spn=0.218165,0.617294&t=h&z=11) of the locations we've discussed in this thread. You can zoom in for a closer look too.

theMusicMan
17th August 2009, 09:12 PM
Right... sorry folks, but here's an update to the map where I have included some more locations, even though I said I wouldn't do this!!

Reason for doing this so is because whilst not overdoing it, I feel we want to try to get as many photogenic locations in the route as possible, and the new route I have indicated on the map takes in 4 smashing locations;

Raglan Castle (http://www.castlewales.com/raglan.html): easy to find for a meeting place, and a classic castle to photograph.
Usk Castle (http://www.castlewales.com/usk.html): Different style here, more subtle, intimate and overgrown. Usk though is a gorgeous small town, suitable for people shots, candids, shops, oh... and excellent pub grub! We will stop here for lunch.
Clydach Gorge: (http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.benham/aber/clydach.htm) Lots of running water, falls and landscape stuff here.
Cymyoy Church: (http://www.breconbeacons.org/visit-us/things-to-do-and-see/churches-and-chapels/cwmyoy-church) For those wanting to venture into the Brecon Beacons, but this time without the loooong drive (to the Upper Neuadd Reservoir) or the very loooong walk (to the Ystradfelte Waterfalls).

My previous suggestion, on reflection, is a bit of a treck for anyone venturing into Wales from across the Sever... so my apologies to you for getting a little enthusiastic about this and changing the plan. I am more than happy though to organise a Brecon Beacons trip very soon after this one if folk are interested.

I really do think this new suggestion is much more of a photographers trip/route, and provides an easy meet-up point and up to four distinct locations through the course of the day which will very likely yield some superb photos.

This new route will cater for each of the following génres;

Landscape
Castles
Architecture
Nature
Running Water
Waterfalls
Churches
Candid
Town/Village reportage

... hence deciding to go with this selection. Hopefully you will approve.

Suggested dates now are Saturday 5th or Sunday 6th September to allow for those going away on the Bank Holiday weekend.

So... who's up for this route...? Can we firm up any dates...? Please let me know and I can press ahead with preparing the detailed route, and get a PDF document with links, images, route included et al as I did for the Caerleon meet.

Thanks all.

j.baker
18th August 2009, 07:07 AM
Teresa and I are cool or any location and dates. Count us in.

theMusicMan
18th August 2009, 09:37 AM
Thanks John.

Anyone else...?

steverh
18th August 2009, 11:05 AM
John,

All excellent suggestions. I think that maybe you should take an executive decision(!) as to where we go - you know the area better than most of us.

I should be OK for most dates, but would prefer to avoid the bank holiday if possible.

Will try and bring another Oly user with me if possible!

theMusicMan
18th August 2009, 06:07 PM
Cheers Steve. OK, decision made... here's the final trip details.

Date: Saturday 5th September
Location: Raglan Castle, Usk Castle, Clydach Gorge, Cymyoy/Llanthony Priory

Raglan Castle (http://www.castlewales.com/raglan.html): easy to find for a meeting place, and a classic castle to photograph.
Usk Castle (http://www.castlewales.com/usk.html): Different style here, more subtle, intimate and overgrown. Usk though is a gorgeous small town, suitable for people shots, candids, shops, oh... and excellent pub grub! We will stop here for lunch.
Clydach Gorge: (http://freespace.virgin.net/paul.benham/aber/clydach.htm) Lots of running water, falls and landscape stuff here.
Cymyoy Church: (http://www.breconbeacons.org/visit-us/things-to-do-and-see/churches-and-chapels/cwmyoy-church) For those wanting to venture into the Brecon Beacons, but this time without the loooong drive (to the Upper Neuadd Reservoir) or the very loooong walk (to the Ystradfelte Waterfalls).

Meet at Raglan Castle (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&q=raglan+castle&ie=UTF8&ll=51.768663,-2.848356&spn=0.006825,0.01929&t=h&z=16) for 09:30 - 10:00

I will post up lots of details in a separate post in here shortly. Please can you confirm attendance... many thanks all.

Currently confirmed attendees: 11

theMusicMan - John - confirmed
Heather - (my daughter) - confirmed
Ian - Ian - 99%
Shenstone - Andy - confirmed
J.Baker - John Baker - confirmed
Teresa Baker - confirmed
Steverh - Steve (plus friend) - confirmed
stevednp3 (plus friend) - confirmed
AlistairJ (from FTU) - confirmed

stevednp3
18th August 2009, 06:12 PM
Nice one - yep count me and another oly user in - look forward to meeting everyone !

theMusicMan
18th August 2009, 06:21 PM
Nice one - yep count me and another oly user in - look forward to meeting everyone !
*chrBrilliant, thanks for the quick response here Steve, I have to say this is really appreciated.

theMusicMan
18th August 2009, 06:28 PM
I have added those who have stated their intent to come along to post #37 (http://e-group.uk.net/forum/showpost.php?p=49715&postcount=37) of this thread. I will keep this post updated with everyone who confirms they want to come along.

j.baker
18th August 2009, 08:36 PM
I am driving down from north Wiltshire, if anyone (up to two) wants a lift down and back left me know.

shenstone
18th August 2009, 09:40 PM
And I'll be driving up from Cardiff if anyone want a lift or is coming over on the train them pm me

Regards
And

Andrew Riddell
18th August 2009, 11:09 PM
I'd really like to come, but I'll have been driving back and forth from London to Totnes on both the previous weekends, so I think I'll be knackered! I hope you all have a good time.

Andrew

j.baker
19th August 2009, 11:50 AM
Is anyone interested is playing/testing with any specific lenses?

theMusicMan
19th August 2009, 12:11 PM
Is anyone interested is playing/testing with any specific lenses?
Good point John, thanks for mentioning this.

With the combination of lenses that you and Ian have, I reckon we'd have access to nearly the entire set of Zuiko lenses for people to try out.

Jonesgj
19th August 2009, 04:14 PM
John,

Thank you for your kind words on the Stamford meet thread.

I spent a few moments viewing the sites you are going to visit and also thinking how I could get there - very envious.

I do wish you all a very pleasant and successful meet.

Kind regards

Graydon

Ian
21st August 2009, 10:58 AM
Hi all, and sorry for the late response. The week before the 5th is busy for me (I have to go to the IFA show in Berlin), but will be back in time for the South Wales meet and I will be bringing a wide selection of lenses and the latest Olympus bodies for anyone to try, including:

7-14 f/4
9-18
11-22
14-54 (Mk1)
14-42
14-50 f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Leica
12-60
25 f/2.8 pancake
40-150 Mk2
50 f/2 macro
70-300
50-200 SWD
14-35 f/2 SWD
90-250 f/2.8
E-620
E-30
E-450

and

E-P1 with M.Zuiko 14-42
17 f/2.8 pancake
Four Thirds mount adapter

If there is anything not in the list you would like me to bring, I can ask Olympus if they have a spare I can borrow.

Cheers,

Ian

theMusicMan
21st August 2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks Ian, great to have you there with all this kit. It's a long way for you to come so I really appreciate it, thanks. In addition to these lenses that Ian has listed, the lenses I'll bring along are;

Sigma Bigma 50-500mm
35mm Macro
40-150mm MK1
OM50mm f1.8 legacy lens (with adapter incl Auto Focus confirmation chip)
Selection of ND's and ND Grad filters with adapters for 3 lens sizes.
2 * IR filters 58mm & 72mm (58mm one to be returned to Mr Baker... :))

So, it looks as though there will be an awesome selection of lenses and cameras for those coming along to try out. really looking forward to this now... fingers crossed for at least some dry weather during the [long] day. I'll be posting more details about the trip soon enough, such as specific locations, post-codes for sat nav's, routes, images et al. Do see if you can get others to come along as well, it promises to be an epic!

:)

j.baker
21st August 2009, 11:10 AM
Ian,

Here is a challenge for you.

Can you "Borrow" the Olympus 300mm f/2.8 ED and/or Olympus ED 150mm f/2.0 ?

Ian
21st August 2009, 11:12 AM
Ian,

Here is a challenge for you.

Can you "Borrow" the Olympus 300mm f/2.8 ED and/or Olympus ED 150mm f/2.0 ?

I can only ask :)

The 150 shouldn't be a problem as I saw one in the loans cupboard last time I was at the Oly UK offices. The 300 is rather more rare! :D

Ian

stevednp3
21st August 2009, 11:19 AM
Thanks Ian and Musicman, sounds great cant wait !!!!

shenstone
21st August 2009, 05:00 PM
And I'll bring the 1200 mirror lens if anyone's feeling brave !

steverh
21st August 2009, 08:27 PM
It's shaping up to be a really good day.

Let's hope the welsh weather gods are kind to us...

theMusicMan
24th August 2009, 03:33 PM
Just added a member from over on FTU to the list, Alistair... so that now makes 11 of us in total now. I've also checked in on met-check for the long term weather forecast, which, as of today, is looking OK so far. Here's a forecast...

http://img.skitch.com/20090824-gy2mieq1m5tq1bmck71ayh77fb.jpg

Fingers crossed...

AlistairJ
24th August 2009, 06:06 PM
Hello,

yes hope to tag along these look like some good locations.

funny I'd not heard of this forum before?

*chr

theMusicMan
24th August 2009, 06:11 PM
Hello,

yes hope to tag along these look like some good locations.

funny I'd not heard of this forum before?

*chr
Welcome Alistair... look forward to saying hi and meeting up with you on the upcoming trip.

theMusicMan
30th August 2009, 09:24 AM
Hi All

Well, we're only just under a week away from this exciting meet-up so I thought I'd best post some additional details for those coming along. It is vitally important that you read the 'IMPORTANT' bit at the bottom of this thread. Thanks.

Date and Time: Saturday, 5th September
Meeting Time: 09:30
Meeting Point: Car park, at Raglan Castle (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&ll=51.76873,-2.85018&spn=0.006905,0.01929&t=h&z=16).
Sat Nav Post Code: NP15 2BT - NB: this is the Post Code for the house directly adjacent to the castle, but it literally is right next to it so this is the code to use to get you there. If you're traveling from the East, go past the castle to the next roundabout, come back along the same road and exit to castle.

Trip Details:

Raglan Castle (http://www.castlewales.com/raglan.html): The classic castle to photograph.
Cymyoy Church: (http://www.breconbeacons.org/visit-us/things-to-do-and-see/churches-and-chapels/cwmyoy-church) For those wanting to venture into the Brecon Beacons.

Here's a google map (http://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&msa=0&msid=111041695827605734259.00046fef3f09badc3e529&t=h&z=11) of the route we will take.

There is a charge to get into Raglan Castle of about £3.50. I called up the lady who manages Usk Castle, and she said she appreciates donations of any size (£1.00 is fine), and also mentioned that she is looking for some new photos of the Castle. She didn't state what these would be for, but I said we'd be happy to oblige and perhaps send her some of the ones we take on the day.

Approximate Times: Some people may not wish to join us for the entire day, so here's some approximate times for the course of the day if you want to join us at an alternate location.

Meet: 09:30
Raglan Castle: 09:30 - 11:30
Usk Castle: 12:00 - 13:00
Lunch: 13:00 - 13:30
Clydach Gorge: 14:00 - 15:30
Cymyoy: 16:00 - 17:30

Please don't be put off by the total number of locations, there's only a short car distance from each one to the next, and we can pack in a huge range of photographic opportunities into the day. I am sure it will be awesome.

Lenses that will be there for us to try: Ian has offered to bring along several lenses, and I will bring a few others too. John B will be bringing his 8mm fish-eye.

7-14 f/4
9-18
11-22
14-54 (Mk1)
14-42
14-50 f/3.5-5.6 Panasonic Leica
12-60
25 f/2.8 pancake
40-150 Mk2
50 f/2 macro
70-300
50-200 SWD
14-35 f/2 SWD
90-250 f/2.8
E-620
E-30
E-450

and

E-P1 with M.Zuiko 14-42
17 f/2.8 pancake
Four Thirds mount adapter

Sigma Bigma 50-500mm (no longer bringing this as I have sold it!!)
35mm Macro
40-150mm MK1
OM50mm f1.8 legacy lens (with adapter incl Auto Focus confirmation chip)
Selection of ND's and ND Grad filters with adapters for 3 lens sizes.
2 * IR filters 58mm & 72mm

Weather: The forecast is changing day by day, but as of today (Sunday), the weather looks to be fine, but maybe a little chilly for this time of year. Please ensure you have comfortable footwear for the treks to the Clydach Gorge and for Cwmyoy church.

People coming along: 19 (wow!)

theMusicMan - John - confirmed
Heather - (my daughter, 12) - confirmed
Lloyd - (my son, 18) - confirmed
Ian - Ian - (plus 3) - confirmed
Shenstone - Andy - confirmed
J.Baker - John Baker - confirmed
Teresa Baker - confirmed
Steverh - Steve (plus friend) - confirmed
stevednp3 (plus friend) - confirmed
AlistairJ (from FTU) - confirmed
davidh - Dave - confirmed
Ian Grego - Ian - confirmed
Zuiko - John - confirmed
Nick - Nick Temple Fry - confirmed
PaulE - Paul - confirmed

IMPORTANT: Please can you confirm you are still planning to come along so that we know to wait for you at Raglan Castle. I will be there by 09:15 in a grey 2 door Ford Fiesta Zetec.

My mobile number is: 07815 733 680

Please can you PM or TXT me your details so I have them ready for next Saturday in case we need to contact you.

Thanks all, looking forward to meeting up with you all next Sat.

j.baker
30th August 2009, 11:21 AM
I will be bringing my 50-500mm (Bigma) as well as my other lenses.

John, you already have my numbers, and Teresa and I look forward to meeting everyone.

stevednp3
30th August 2009, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the detailed info MusicMan, pm sent - cheers

theMusicMan
1st September 2009, 02:39 PM
Super news folks, we've had another member wanting to come along for the morning session. So everyone... davidh (Dave) is coming along for our two castle visits. I have updated post #57 with Daves name.

Nick has also said he may be able to come along too!

It will be great if you can both make it.

davidh
1st September 2009, 02:49 PM
Hi John

94 miles/ 1 & 3/4 hours(according to AA routemaster) :o but i'm sure it will be worth it

look forward to meeting everyone

*chr

Dave

davidh
1st September 2009, 08:57 PM
Ian/John

i would like to try either sigma 105/150 macro lenses or perhaps the tamrom 90mm if any one attending has one

Dave

theMusicMan
2nd September 2009, 06:19 AM
Hi Dave

I'm sure Nick has the Siggy 105mm, but he's not 100% sure if he can make it yet. Not sure if otherswho are coming have these lenses...? Anyone...?

Ian
3rd September 2009, 09:57 AM
Ian/John

i would like to try either sigma 105/150 macro lenses or perhaps the tamrom 90mm if any one attending has one

Dave

Hi David, unfortunately I only have the ZD 50mm f/2 macro.

Ian

Ian
3rd September 2009, 09:58 AM
I can only ask :)

The 150 shouldn't be a problem as I saw one in the loans cupboard last time I was at the Oly UK offices. The 300 is rather more rare! :D

Ian

I have the 150 f/2 (which I also brought to the Stamford meet :))

Ian

Ian
3rd September 2009, 10:46 AM
Weather seems to be looking good - some cloud and clearer spells but no forecast of rain.

John - is it likely to be muddy anywhere?

Ian

Ian
3rd September 2009, 11:00 AM
Well I never :D, I have persuaded Julia and the kids (Elizabeth and Lara) to come along, too :)

John - is Heather able to join us?

Ian

theMusicMan
3rd September 2009, 04:09 PM
Weather seems to be looking good - some cloud and clearer spells but no forecast of rain.

John - is it likely to be muddy anywhere?

Ian
Hi Ian - yes, muddy when in the Clydach Gorge, as there is running water, small falls, and river banks so tough walking boots are the order of the day for this. The castles will be dry(ish).

Cymyoy could be muddy, depending on where we end up.

Well I never :D, I have persuaded Julia and the kids (Elizabeth and Lara) to come along, too :)

John - is Heather able to join us?

Ian

Yep, Heather is going Ian, though has rugby training in the morning so Jen is bringing her up following this. She will probably be joining us in Usk.

Great that Julia and the girls are able to come along Ian.

As for the weather - I am keeping my fingers crossed for a dry day. So far on metcheck the weather is dry all day with sunny intervals. Bodes well for some excellent shots.

I'll post an update on the weather here late on Friday evening so you should have some idea of actual rather than TV or Media forecasted weather.

theMusicMan
3rd September 2009, 04:10 PM
Ian/John

DaveHi Dave

I have the 35mm macro if you fancy a try of that.

Ian Grego
3rd September 2009, 05:03 PM
John,

I know this is late notice but I would like to join you on saturday, I have left it this later due to possible work commitments but sometimes you need some time away.

So if all ok I will see you all then and this is my first meet so I am looking forward to meeting you all

Ian

shenstone
3rd September 2009, 05:08 PM
You're welcome !

theMusicMan
3rd September 2009, 05:10 PM
John,

I know this is late notice but I would like to join you on saturday, I have left it this later due to possible work commitments but sometimes you need some time away.

So if all ok I will see you all then and this is my first meet so I am looking forward to meeting you all

IanHi Ian

Superb news, and in no way is it too late... as Andy says you are absolutely more than welcome.

Can you PM me your contact details / mobile number so we know to wait for you to arrive please Ian. I shall add you to the list of those coming along.

This is really looking to be an excellent meet.

Zuiko
3rd September 2009, 06:54 PM
Hi John,

As you know I've been thinking hard about the feasibility of making such a long journey.

Well, my bags are packed and I've already loaded my camping gear into the car......so I guess it looks like I'm comming! :D

theMusicMan
3rd September 2009, 06:57 PM
Excellent news John, it will be great to meet you at long last. Where are you going to camp...?

shenstone
3rd September 2009, 07:02 PM
Hi John,

As you know I've been thinking hard about the feasibility of making such a long journey.

Well, my bags are packed and I've already loaded my camping gear into the car......so I guess it looks like I'm comming! :D

Superb!

Like John I've been hoping to meet you some day

struggle with a campsite I'm sure we can help out

Regards
Andy

davidh
3rd September 2009, 07:24 PM
Hi Dave

I have the 35mm macro if you fancy a try of that.

Hi John

i have 35 & 50 macro but was considering the sigmas for the greater working distance

Dave

Zuiko
3rd September 2009, 07:53 PM
Excellent news John, it will be great to meet you at long last. Where are you going to camp...?

I'll see how I feel at the end of the day. I see there's a campsite close to Cymyoy and also sites around Abergavenny. However, if I'm still feeling adventurous I may head further west and camp at Grawen, near Merthyr Tydfil, which is recommended in the "Cool Camping" guide and is well placed for the Brecon Beacons or Ystradfellte. I'll need to do something on Sunday to justify the long journey. :D

Zuiko
3rd September 2009, 07:54 PM
Superb!

Like John I've been hoping to meet you some day

struggle with a campsite I'm sure we can help out

Regards
Andy

Looking forward to meeting you, too, Andy! :)

theMusicMan
3rd September 2009, 08:18 PM
Yet another unexpected addition to the list folks... my lad Lloyd, who is moving out next Monday into his uni diggs, has asked if he could come along for the day. So there'll now be three of the Burns's coming!

Lloyd isn't a member here, but has recently been accompanying me on some of my trips when he's used my E-510 and seems ot be enjoying it. He's also asked if he can take this with him when he moves out next week... eeeeeeek!!

This is looking to be an epic day folks, thanks so much to everyone here for your support, and for your willingness to travel to meet us here.

I am looking forward to meeting each and every one of you.

John

theMusicMan
3rd September 2009, 08:52 PM
Well, this just gets better and better.

Just had a PM from Nick temple Fry who has had his passport stamped, and has obtained clearance to travel to deepest darkest South Wales so will also be joining us for the day.

We'll need to stitch a few images as a pano for the group shot at this rate :)

Nick Temple-Fry
3rd September 2009, 08:55 PM
Well, this just gets better and better.

Just had a PM from Nick temple Fry who has had his passport stamped, and has obtained clearance to travel to deepest darkest South Wales so will also be joining us for the day.

We'll need to stitch a few images as a pano for the group shot at this rate :)

I tend to need a pano just on my own

Nick

jonesy
3rd September 2009, 09:19 PM
Well I hope you all have a great time and the weather is good to you :)

PaulE
3rd September 2009, 09:19 PM
A good day at work today means my Saturday is now free so would like to join you all for the meet. Hope the weather is a little better than it was up here today though...
Paul.

theMusicMan
3rd September 2009, 09:22 PM
Excellent Paul, I will add you to the list.

I am bowled over at the interest in attending this meet, thank you very much all.

Ian
4th September 2009, 07:33 AM
I have now added a gallery category for the meet. If at all possible, can everyone post shots from the day here:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/823

It's so much easier to find them when they are in one place. Of course you can also post copies in your own galleries :)

Ian

Zuiko
4th September 2009, 08:06 AM
I have now added a gallery category for the meet. If at all possible, can everyone post shots from the day here:

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/823

It's so much easier to find them when they are in one place. Of course you can also post copies in your own galleries :)

Ian

Anticipating that we're actually going to get some pictures worth uploading? :o:D

Good idea, Ian, not only does it make it easier to find them, it also creates a permanent (as it can be in this digital age) record of a significant group activity - a great endorsement for this forum, which hopefully will encourage others to arrange further meets in various parts of the country.

It's great to exchange knowledge and opinions online, but getting out with our cameras is really what it's all about, and what better way to do that than in the company of like-minded Olympus users!

Thank, John, for arranging this event - see you all tomorrow. :)

Ian
4th September 2009, 11:26 AM
BBC weather forecast for Newport is for a bright start, but clouding over tomorrow, though rain isn't expected. Let's hope for holes in the cloud...

Ian

Jonesgj
4th September 2009, 02:40 PM
All,

Have a fun time and watchout for those packs of Welshmen roaming the hills terrorising people with their close harmony singing :eek: - or may be get a shot or two of them! :D

Hope the weather stays good

Regards

Graydon

theMusicMan
4th September 2009, 03:16 PM
BBC weather forecast for Newport is for a bright start, but clouding over tomorrow, though rain isn't expected. Let's hope for holes in the cloud...

Ian
The weather in the area we're going to is better served by looking up 'Abergavenny' in metcheck or similar Ian.

Here's a linky (http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/tomorrow.asp?zipcode=abergavenny) - looks good for tomorrow, fingers crossed.

shenstone
4th September 2009, 04:00 PM
All,

Have a fun time and watchout for those packs of Welshmen roaming the hills terrorising people with their close harmony singing :eek: - or may be get a shot or two of them! :D

Hope the weather stays good

Regards

Graydon

Or maybe get shot at by them as many more are farmers than miners these days !

davidh
5th September 2009, 09:04 PM
Thanks for organising meet John

Had a fantastic day

A good turnout great to meet so many new friends

*chr

Dave

Ian Grego
5th September 2009, 09:09 PM
Hello all

Back home, good day had by myself and I think by all of us , This reply is about the remote release some of you saw at Raglan, if you look at this item (sorry its not a link, but my skills dont know how to do it)

270412071126 you will see the same type of thing at the same sort of price I paid

Hope everybody had a good journey home. John and Andy many thanks for all your hard work putting today together well done.

Ian

stevednp3
5th September 2009, 09:13 PM
Same here a very big Thanks for organizing a great day out, totally loved it and picked up a few new tips and tricks *chr.

Thanks to Ian and everyone else who allowed for their lenses to be used, I was very impressed with the 8mm fisheye and thats now on my Christmas list :)

If anyone is up for any other days out, just give me a shout im always up for photo ventures on the weekends

Really good to meet everyone and hope we can do it again soon.

I have uploaded a few of my shots today, didnt mange to take many good shots ended up talking to much, but love to hear your comments and see others.

Take care

Steve

theMusicMan
6th September 2009, 06:46 AM
Hi All

Well, what an absolutely fabulous day that turned out to be, an awesome day, I really enjoyed myself and hope you all did too. My sincere thanks to everyone who came along to the meet, and especially to those who travelled from the ends of the earth to get here; your attendance was really appreciated and it was a privilege to meet you all.

I am off out for the day again now for Heathers first girls rugby tournament - up in mid Wales (eeek!), but will process and post some more images later this evening.

In the meantime... here's the gang who descended upon South Wales én masse yesterday...

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/823/Gang_at_Raglan_Castle.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/17459)

Barrie Norman
6th September 2009, 07:21 AM
It would be nice again if you could put some names to the faces

PaulE
6th September 2009, 04:28 PM
It was nice to meet up and put some names to faces and at the same time visit places that I've missed out on despite them being right on my doorstep. Thanks to John, Andy and all those who helped with organising the day, I enjoyed myself and I think everyone else did too.

Not going to embarrass myself attempting to put names to all them faces, I'm useless at names :o so will leave it to those with far sharper memories...

AlistairJ
6th September 2009, 06:24 PM
Yes thanks to everyone who had a hand in organizing the meet, and thanks to Ian for letting me try out some of those expensive lenses *chr

Now I just have to figure out how to post images to the gallery :confused:

Ian
6th September 2009, 08:20 PM
Here's my first contribution - a shot of my daughter, Elizabeth, at Usk Castle. This is a three shot HDR using Photoshop CS4 Merge to HDR. The exif data is discarded, but I used the Pen E-P1 for this - no tripod! :)

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/511/Usk_Castle_HDR1.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/17507)

Ian

AlistairJ
6th September 2009, 09:00 PM
Ian at Raglan Castle (using fisheye lens and off-camera flash)

http://alistairj.smugmug.com/photos/641224369_hEhjw-L.jpg

In the pub had a go with the E-P1 using the strong contrasty b&w art filter and was really quite pleased with the result. Its on someone else's memory card, but I also took this with my E-3 and tried to reproduce the effect in LR

http://alistairj.smugmug.com/photos/641230112_WGKek-L.jpg

j.baker
6th September 2009, 10:03 PM
John and Andy thanks for organising the event.

I was good to meet up with eveyone.

Here are some of my less crappy shots.

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/823/JB052826.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/823/JB052822-small.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/823/JB052704.jpg

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/823/JB052702.jpg

I may post some more later on.

steverh
7th September 2009, 10:43 AM
Thanks to John (and Andy!) for organising a great day out on Saturday. Also well done to those who travelled a lot further than I did!

I have never been to Usk or Raglan before - despite them being on my doorstep (comparatively!). I will certainly return another day.

I'm pushed for time this week but will sort out and post a few modest offerings when I can.

stevednp3
14th September 2009, 05:45 PM
Heres something intresting as Adrian pointed out to me today the Led Zeppelin song - The Song Remains The Same - parts of the video was filmed in Raglan Castle - small world huh !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1R45dFdxk

benvendetta
14th September 2009, 08:24 PM
Heres something intresting as Adrian pointed out to me today the Led Zeppelin song - The Song Remains The Same - parts of the video was filmed in Raglan Castle - small world huh !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3X1R45dFdxk

I didn't know that! Time to dig the video out then.

Zuiko
14th September 2009, 08:43 PM
Wow! Imagine being there at the same time as Led Zep - that really would have been a photo opportunity!

John and Andy, try and do better next time - we want a top rock band as well as a fantastic location! :p *laugh

Trouble is, most of my rock "heroes" are now either retired or dead.....*ohwell

theMusicMan
14th September 2009, 09:12 PM
Wow! Imagine being there at the same time as Led Zep - that really would have been a photo opportunity!

John and Andy, try and do better next time - we want a top rock band as well as a fantastic location! :p *laugh

Trouble is, most of my rock "heroes" are now either retired or dead.....*ohwell
Sorry John, I'll try to do better next time! :)

So, who are your rock heroes then...?

Mine =

Yes, Genesis, Floyd, Oldfield, ELP, ELO

Awesome era, gotta love Prog Rock. Having said that, there's a few modern belters of prog rock out there now.

benvendetta
14th September 2009, 09:15 PM
Best ever prog rock band? - Van der Graaf Generator.
Best current prog rock band - Porcupine Tree.

theMusicMan
14th September 2009, 09:29 PM
Best ever prog rock band? - Van der Graaf Generator.
Best current prog rock band - Porcupine Tree.
Ooooh, now we're talking on the same playing field.

Best ever prog rock band: Genesis - they set the bar
Best current prog rock band: Frost (have a listen to the album Milliontown, awesome)

shenstone
14th September 2009, 09:44 PM

Mine =

Awesome era, gotta love Prog Rock. Having said that, there's a few modern belters of prog rock out there now.

Led Who ????

Steve Hillage Band for me .... Yup ... I admit to being a definite hippy type in an earlier era... :cool:

Regards
Andy

Regards
Andy

benvendetta
14th September 2009, 10:09 PM
Ooooh, now we're talking on the same playing field.

Best ever prog rock band: Genesis - they set the bar
Best current prog rock band: Frost (have a listen to the album Milliontown, awesome)

I saw Van der Graaf Generator, Genesis and Lindisfarne all on the same bill in the 6 bob tour in 1971!
I am sure I have a recent Frost album on my MP3 player - something about 'Experiiments in .......??
I really like Dream Theater, Coheed and Cambria and Mars Volta too.

Isn't this all much more interesting than commenting on pictures ;)

Ian
14th September 2009, 10:14 PM
Alas, the two bands I really wanted to see live (ELO and Genesis), well, I never got my act together and secured any tickets, sigh! :(

Ian

Zuiko
15th September 2009, 12:32 AM

Mine =

Mine?

Yes, Genesis, Floyd, Zeppelin.

Certain works of other bands, such as Pictures at an Exhibition (ELP), Tubular Bells (Oldfield).

Argus, by Wishbone Ash, is one of my all-time favourite albums.

How about 7171 551, a stonking track by Welsh rockers The Man Band? Saw Man supporting Genesis at my local Civic Theatre in 1972 before Genesis became really big. What a night that was!

Or Evening Over Rooftops, Edgar Broughton?

Golden Country Kingdom, by Pete Brown and Piblokto is pure poetry! (Pete Brown wrote many of the lyrics for Cream, another great band)

Another classic album is In The Court of The Crimson King by, of course, King Crimson. Robert Fripp is credited with inventing the term "Progressive Rock" when he was asked in an interview to describe his style of music in one word. His answer, "Progressive."

I was really fortunate in the '70s to see bands such as Floyd, Yes, Genesis, Ash, ELP, Man, Focus, Broughton, Quo, Queen and many others. My biggest regrets were not seeing Zeppelin or Cream.

Afraid my music is stranded in a time warp. When I buy a CD now it is usually to replace something I've already got on vinyl. Must get up to date and listen to some Frost and Porcupine Tree.