PDA

View Full Version : Science Art or Sport

photonutter
16th November 2007, 09:18 AM
Just wondering how you guys see photography. Do you go for a journalistic approach, treat it as a science to get the clinically perfect shot or shoot for a less technical more arty feel? Do you have a reconizable style you try for?
I try for a low tech almost toy camera look with a lot of shots using add on filters and lenses, usually against the technical theory, for a crude and nieve look. How about you and what's you favourite subject?

theMusicMan
16th November 2007, 09:26 AM
I like taking photos of any subject really, and get excited when I know there's an opportunity coming up for me to try a new subject. This weekend for example, my daughter Heather and I are going to try to capture some leaping Salmon in the river Taff - looking forward to that.

I particularly enjoy portrait studio shoots, and love hi-key effects - something which I am trying to hone my skills in on and develop. That's the thing with togging, there's always loads to learn and always someone who does it better than oneself...:)

swazon
16th November 2007, 06:31 PM
To most peopke's annoyance, I usually have the camera and one of the lenses with me - even at work - "Oh no, now what's he snaping".:eek:

I like to travel light, so I do not take amy extras (no tripod / flash / filters / etc).
Having just one lens whilst on walk/cycle-about is a good way to force one to experiment with different viewpoints.

I've found that i'm more aware of my surroundings when I have the camera in my hands:)

Probably cover most modes: "Jack of all trades - master of none" deffinitely fits...

The first photo I take in a series on a subject usually turns out to give the best result. Once I start thinking, rather than relying on instinct, I fluff it!

Barr1e
16th November 2007, 06:59 PM
I am never without a camera, reason being I might just get that shot which would make the headlines. I enjoy wildlife, nature and buildings. The River Thames has always given me great pix, either travelling on or beside it.

So I guess that would fit me in the general category.

As for making the headlines - well you could see them on fourthirds-user or Olympus UK E-System Group. Keep 'em peeled.:D

Regards. Barr1e

emirpprime
16th November 2007, 09:02 PM
I also go for a bit of anything. However I get a particular thrill our of getting those shots where there is only one chance, you just have to trust your preparation and timing and hope. Not snaps, though those are all fine, but when you have put some thought in, taken a test exposure shot maybe, but then have to just trust your skills to get the shot you want.
Also, anything that gets a compliment is always good :)
Phil

OlyPaul
18th November 2007, 10:18 PM
I would rather see a pictorial image with tecnical faults rather than a sterile image wich is tecnicaly perfect .

Off course the idea is to marry the two.:)

Paul

emirpprime
18th November 2007, 10:36 PM
I would rather see a pictorial image with tecnical faults rather than a sterile image wich is tecnicaly perfect .

Off course the idea is to marry the two.:)

Paul

Definitely! Look at most of the photos by those considered greats. They almost all have 'faults' from some perspective. But it is what they convey that really matters.
Phil

Vokesie
19th November 2007, 07:19 AM
With most of my photogrpahy I a restricted by what is known as the "three song rule" So i only have between 9-10 minutes without flash to capture live acts on stage.

Using manual settings I have to be keeping a constant eye on the settings to ensure I get a crisp clean sharp image.