PDA

View Full Version : E620 settings

davidsa
29th July 2009, 05:51 PM
I'm puzzling over what the difference is between the "Auto" and "P(rogram)" settings on the main dial on the 620.

Could someone elucidate?

Thanks in advance

David

EH1
29th July 2009, 06:13 PM
I think the only difference is AUTO is completely AUTOMATIC, where as Program is the same as Auto BUT it lets you change settings aswell (ie. you could choose flash on or off). ;)

Kiwi Paul
29th July 2009, 07:32 PM
Yeah P mode chooses the settings (aperture and shutter speed) but you can adjust them with the wheel, Auto doesn't change settings when you move the wheel.

Paul

Ian
29th July 2009, 09:58 PM
I hope I can clear this up for you :)

P (Program) means the camera will decide the aperture and shutter speed for you. You can still alter other settings, like white balance, exposure compensation, ISO, and these will be remembered by the camera.

Auto mode is just like Program mode, but when you select it, default settings are invoked. It's a convenience mode. If you have been experimenting in Program (or any other PASM mode), you can instantly revert to Auto mode where the default settings should offer no nasty surprises (like a weird white balance mode, or ridiculous ISO setting, etc.).

Ian

Ian
29th July 2009, 10:01 PM
I hope I can clear this up for you :)

P (Program) means the camera will decide the aperture and shutter speed for you. You can still alter other settings, like white balance, exposure compensation, ISO, and these will be remembered by the camera.

Auto mode is just like Program mode, but when you select it, default settings are invoked. It's a convenience mode. If you have been experimenting in Program (or any other PASM mode), you can instantly revert to Auto mode where the default settings should offer no nasty surprises (like a weird white balance mode, or ridiculous ISO setting, etc.).

Ian

Incidentally, the Pen E-P1 introduces iAuto mode, or Intelligent Auto, which means the camera will evaluate the scene you are trying to photograph and may select a preset scene mode to optimise the camera performance.

Ian

davidsa
31st July 2009, 09:28 AM
Thanks guys!

David

blu-by-u
7th August 2009, 11:10 AM
While you are at it, please do not set that Gradation to AUTO..NORMAL would do. At AUTO the pictures tend to be very noisy.

davidsa
7th August 2009, 11:39 AM
Ah - thanks!

Hadn't got round to thinking about that yet! Will change it next time I use the camera.

David

PS what about white balance? Is auto ok for most of the time?

blu-by-u
8th August 2009, 06:39 AM
Set it to Auto. There is also a setting that enable the WB sensor. make sure that is on.

davidsa
8th August 2009, 09:20 AM
OK thanks!

David