PDA

View Full Version : A bag for your E620 & stuff

nzoliver
27th July 2009, 07:54 AM
Hi all :)
Wot sort of bags of non camera-bag type do y'all use?:rolleyes:

I have an E620 and the kit lenses (for now):cool: but would like something non camera-y for it....:D

Ideas anyone?*chr

Thanks

Oliver

mike_j
27th July 2009, 08:42 AM
A small shoulder bag is good for your present kit. Oly used to gave away a nice one in a promotion but I sure similar ones are readily available.

Of course as you fall deeper and deeper into the purchasing trap you will need some thing bigger - Lowepro AW Minitrekker holds quite a lot of stuff and a couple of sarnies and a bottle.

If you really want something non camer-y a fly fishermans shoulder bag will do the job. You could have my old one but it does smell rather of trout and you tend to be followed a hungry cats :D

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DjS-Tackle-Fly-Fishing-Classic-Wicker-Creel-Bag-Travel_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ65Q3a12Q7c66Q3a 2Q7c39Q3a1Q7c72Q3a1688Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trks idZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem29ffe06818QQitemZ180 386555928QQptZUKQ5fSportingGoodsQ5fFishingAccesQ5f RLQQsalenotsupported

Archphoto
27th July 2009, 10:27 AM
Welcome !

The best thing you can do it look for a bag localy.
I would get one with some extra room: for the 9-18mm, a macro maybe and a flash, together with room for a spare battery and some memory, otherwise you need a new bag every time you buy a new lens.......

I have a LowePro Computrekker Plus AW that holds 2 bodies, the 7-14mm, the 11-22mm, the 14-42mm, the 40-150mm, a 500 mirror-lens, flash, lichtmeter, colortemperature meter, several table tripods, filters and my laptop for international travel.
Works great for travel within Brazil aswell.
Goes with me when I am on asignment.

If I want to go light I use a very old camera bag, that holds a body with 2 lenses.

LowePro (http://www.lowepro.com) has several bags that will suit your needs.

Peter

benvendetta
27th July 2009, 12:32 PM
Billingham Hadleys are quite 'non camera bag' in appearance. Expensive though but capable of being used for lots of things. I have had mine for about 5/6 years.

HughofBardfield
27th July 2009, 12:50 PM
I like Crumpler. Good quality bags and not too obviously "camera" as they sell non-photgraphic stuff as well. For everyday use I have a Pretty Boy 7500, which holds a DSLR + "standard" zoom and 1-2 extra lenses plus the usual filters, lenspen, cards, batteries etc. For more extended use I have a Geekstar, which will hold up to four-five extra lenses plus the DSLR + std zoom. It will fit the 50-200 or the Sigma 135-400 if wanted. I think both these models are now discontinued, but there should be analogs in the current range. Both of the above (and my "put everything in" Tamrac backpack) were used from Fleabay.

I also liked the look of the Naneu Lima ( http://www.naneupro.com/products.mdv?p=mo-l ), but couldn't find a local dealer to try it out.

I'm afraid there is no one "perfect" camera bag, which is why most people end up with several. One bit of personal experience I will share is that the Lowepro Slingshot-type bags can make you feel very lopsided if a) you walk very far with them and b) put a lot in them. At least with shoulder bags you can use the other shoulder when pain sets in. Another option worth considering is to pick up some spare padded camera bag inserts and to customise a bag you already have.

jonesy
27th July 2009, 03:45 PM
I'll second the vote for crumpler!
I love the fact that it doesnt scream camera, and it holds all my (current) gear. I was bought a Lowepro Rezo last Christmas, but it didnt seem as well built as the crumpler, nor did it hold all my stuff... still sat here waiting for me to decide what to do with it

peak4
27th July 2009, 07:36 PM
|'ll second the Lima. Mine carries one large body with 12-60mm a 50-200mm & 7-14mm without being too overloaded, though that's about the limit.
Certainly space in there for lots of kit lenses though. Not tried it, but I would have thought you could get both kits, 30-700mm & 35mm OK, maybe even a 9-18mm too.
Lots of pockets for extras.

Jonesgj
27th July 2009, 10:26 PM
I'll thirdsee :confused: the crumpler option. The version I have - Pretty boy 7500XL (I think - its in the garage at the moment) held :

E-620 Body attached to 14-54, plus 9-18 and 70-300.
It had a pocket for a few filters and lens cloth, and a front pocket for 2 spare batteries and a few CF cards tripod quick release plate.

I have just purchased an E-systems bag and I am trying it out. This fits all the above plus my flash, EC14 and my cokin filter adapters/rings.

The trouble is I have now added a 50-200 which seems to be larger than the 70-300 with it replaces ... it just fits but I am still trying out this combination.

Hope this helps

nzoliver
28th July 2009, 05:53 AM
Hi all,

Thank you for the replies!! I have a leftover Tamrac Velocity 5 from my Sony R1 but I'm reconing it might be a little small. It does however have the waist harness so it can be used like a 'bum bag'.:eek::rolleyes:

I will investigate...tho I do like the Billinghams .. mmmm too expensive:(

250swb
28th July 2009, 07:08 AM
Hi all :)
Wot sort of bags of non camera-bag type do y'all use?:rolleyes:

I have an E620 and the kit lenses (for now):cool: but would like something non camera-y for it....:D

Ideas anyone?*chr

Thanks

Oliver

A Billingham Hadley Pro would be ideal for that setup. Very discreet, easy to open with no ripping velcro, enough space to add another lens as well as your kit lenses, pockets for all your bits, lasts for a lifetime, perfect for the current trend towards smaller cameras.

Steve

Nick Temple-Fry
28th July 2009, 11:01 AM
Well it's such a silly idea I've refrained from posting it - but have you considered those 'picnic' type cool bags.

1) they have padding (called insulation)
2) are waterproof (though the proofing is inside out)
3) don't draw any attention (unless the thief really wants a cold coke and cucumber sandwich)
4) you can get them in a variety of sizes
5) they are so cheap that if you want to you can buy 2 and stuff one inside the other to increase the shock protection.

Other customisation (such as internal partitions etc) would be easy - or you can store lenses in the lens case.

(and yes I have used them on occaisions)

Stop laughing please

Nick

benvendetta
28th July 2009, 11:19 AM
Well it's such a silly idea I've refrained from posting it - but have you considered those 'picnic' type cool bags.

1) they have padding (called insulation)
2) are waterproof (though the proofing is inside out)
3) don't draw any attention (unless the thief really wants a cold coke and cucumber sandwich)
4) you can get them in a variety of sizes
5) they are so cheap that if you want to you can buy 2 and stuff one inside the other to increase the shock protection.

Other customisation (such as internal partitions etc) would be easy - or you can store lenses in the lens case.

(and yes I have used them on occaisions)

Stop laughing please

Nick

And everyone will tell you that you have a cool bag! ;)
Expensive kit with a cheap bag - get a proper one man!

Nick Temple-Fry
28th July 2009, 11:58 AM
And everyone will tell you that you have a cool bag! ;)
Expensive kit with a cheap bag - get a proper one man!

Well the OP did ask about 'non camera type bags'. Perhaps I'm the only poster on-topic?.

Wow - I'm cheap and cool, that's pretty close to a compliment.

Nick

chrism_scotland
6th August 2009, 06:26 PM
Is there any fairly small Lowepro bag that would hold the E620 with a lens attached, thinking 14-54 but allow the bag to carry another lens (9-18mm or 40-150)?

PaulE
6th August 2009, 06:36 PM
Is there any fairly small Lowepro bag that would hold the E620 with a lens attached, thinking 14-54 but allow the bag to carry another lens (9-18mm or 40-150)?

The Lowepro Nova 1 AW (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Nova-1-AW,1972,20.htm) will certainly take an E620 with 14-54 attached, also just room down one sides for 70-300 or FL50 and 40 -150 and 35mm macro on the other if you need it so 40-150 + 9-18 would fit no problem.

chrism_scotland
6th August 2009, 06:41 PM
Cheers Paul, thats exactly what I'm looking for.

blu-by-u
7th August 2009, 11:35 AM

I started like you. only 2 lenses and camera..I got that Lowepro Photo Runner. (http://products.lowepro.com/product/Photo-Runner,1991,7.htm) It will hold the Camera with a lens attach, the 40-150, and one more compartment for either a flash or even a 11-22 lens. there is a zipper front for batteries and memory cards.

But then the family grew larger and now i am using a Slingshot 200 (http://products.lowepro.com/product/SlingShot-200-AW,2035,4.htm). Still small enough for the entry level bodies and lens up to the 50-200.

Get something larger than your current need and you won't end up having to change bag so soon.

Good luck in your bag hunting.

Batman
7th August 2009, 12:08 PM
I use a Slingshot 200. It will hold my E-520 with 70-300 attached, 40-150, 14-42, 50 macro and a flash. There is space for the 70-300 off camera, swapped with one of the other lenses. Plus of course plenty of cards and batteries. It's pretty tight but I can also squeeze in a small pair of binoculars. I wouldn't carry all this all the time though and I usually carry less to keep the weight down. In fact I would not normally carry both the 70-300 and 40-150.

Dave

Jim Ford
7th August 2009, 04:49 PM
Although I have the Olympus Pro backpack, I've taken to using just a daysack of about 30 Litres. I put the lenses in individual Exped Dry Crushbags for protection.

Jim

StephenL
7th August 2009, 05:32 PM
I've yet to find, despite many years of expensive research, the ideal bag (camera or otherwise!), but the Billingham Hadley range comes close. I currently have two.

Archphoto
7th August 2009, 09:28 PM
I think there is no ultimate camera bag: mostly you don't want to take everything with you all the time so you need a diferent bag for each occasion.
And need a new one every so often when you have gotten yourself some more gear.

So you will end up with more and more bags.

For Brazil I have 2 now: one that stores all and an old bag for when I want to go "light". For the future I can forsee that I will have a third down here.

For Holland I will use an aliminium case for general storage and that old one for when I want to go light, and maybe I will be using an other bag that is in use for MF right now.

On my latest asignment here in Brazil I had everything with me in a LowePro Computrekker Plus AW, together with my tripod and needed it all.
The LowePro is great for international travel aswell as it holds my laptop too.

Bag's: frustrating things: you allways seem to have too many to find out that you just need one more.

Peter

jonesy
9th August 2009, 05:23 PM
I have a Rezo 160? that was bought for me last Christmas and I've never used (only because it was only a few mm bigger than the bag that I was already using at the time... It would comfortably hold my E410 with lens attached and has space for 1 extra lens(or 2 if you dont carry around any accessories)

davidsa
12th August 2009, 12:19 PM
I have been thinking about this.

For the moment I am using an old leather bag bought years ago in Mexico for my then cameras. Inside it has 3 rounded pockets for lenses and several zipped pockets outside, but no padding. It will do for now taking my current kit and the odd small sweater, couple of maps, and not-too-gooey sandwich.

Getting my priorities right, I have spent most of my money on cameras and lenses. Consequently my longer-distance travel is, for the moment, restricted to those airlines we love to hate who charge an arm and a leg to check in a suitcase and allow - and enforce - just one item of hand baggage.

This means the camera bag either has to be big enough to include a toothbrush as well as a lens brush to say nothing of pyjamas, spare socks and the infamous resealabe bag for toothpaste. Such a bag might be rather big as a camer bag only.

Or one needs a probably limited camera bag that will fit inside another bag which qualifies as carry-on baggage.

It seems to be that a solution might be a combined bag, with a detachable camera element which zips (or pops or vecros) on to the main bag, the total size still remaining within the carry-on limit.

Is such a bag available? What other solutions/approaches are there?

David

nzoliver
12th August 2009, 09:34 PM
Hi all,

Hmmm this could well be an option....:rolleyes:
http://www.naneupro.com/products.mdv?p=s-115#

Oliver

chrism_scotland
15th August 2009, 05:26 PM
Anyone used the wee Olympus E System bag that is around 15-20 in Currys at the moment? Seems big enough to hold a body with lens attached and an extra lens.

nzoliver
15th October 2009, 08:49 PM
Hi again all,

See, now here's the problem as it stands......:eek:
I have the HLD-5 gip for me 620. I would like to add the 50-200 2.8-3.5 someday soonish*yes. Now... what am I gonna carry it in? The height of the cam with the grip is @140mm and the width is @135mm. The grip is nice by the way....gives a proper grip:D!!
It appaears the Lima will not take the camera with the grip. The Tango will but ist doesn't seem cheap!!

Ideas?

Oliver

nzoliver
16th October 2009, 01:19 AM
Hi all,

Update...I've ordered a Crumpler 7 Million Dollar Home bag. Looks like the trick.. Will keep y'all posted *chr