PDA

View Full Version : Possible Olympus Convert

chrism_scotland
25th July 2009, 04:34 PM
Hi folks,

First post, currently I have a Sony A700 and I do love it but I have been attracted to the Olympus DSLRs.
I almost bought the e420 as my first but ultimately bought the A300 and now A700.
However I like the feel and smaller size of the Olympus bodies and I don't know why I just want one!

I have a couple of queries though before I make my mind up and I hope you guy's can help.

I have been looking mainly at the e620 or E-30 bodies, now I know the E-30 is dearer but it is cheap at Jessops right now!

I guess I am wondering if the price difference between E620 and E30 is worth it?

Also is there much difference between the E520 and E620 as the E520 can be had cheaply with a twin lens kit these days?

This leads me onto some questions about lenses.

I hear that the kit Olympus lenses are very highly regarded and I just wondered how good the 14-42mm, 40-150mm and 70-300mm lenses actually are?

I also like the look of the Olympus 25mm pancake lens, is it a good performer?

In addition what would be the recommended wide angle lens option for an Olympus fit?

Thanks

Chris

theMusicMan
25th July 2009, 05:06 PM
Hiya Chris

Good to see you over here... I wonder who recommended you to come here then..hehe

About the only lens I haven't shown you images from is the Oly70-300mm. There are many members here who have awesome shots taken with this lens so I'll just stick to a few I've managed with it.

Skomer Puffin:
http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v2/p33848669-5.jpg

http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v1/p3729927-4.jpg

http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v1/p468321133-4.jpg

The 70-300mm is a budget lens that delivers far in excess of budget performance.

You really won't regret moving to the Oly 4/3 system Chris... it really has moved on significantly in recent years.

As I said over on tp, the only people who now criticise Oly and the 4/3 format are either naive wannabe Canikon fanboys, or are totally ignorant. I mean that, honestly... the days of poor ISO performance on Oly are way gone. The lenses are quite simply the best in class, especially the kit lenses which are simply fantastic performers. Everyone on TP talks about 'L' glass or its Nikon equivalent... Zuiko glass doesn't need an 'L' - you only have to read reviews on Zuiko glass to know how it stands out from other brands. On one independant photography site I visited recently, I read that they consider the Oly 7-14mm possibly the best lens ever made.

On top of this... though this site is a lot smaller than TP, there's a fabulous group of talented folk on here who are always willing to lend a hand and offer help & advice when this is requested.

So - go on... you know you want to... go and get that E-3 :)

crimbo
25th July 2009, 05:39 PM
Cannot comment on the cameras as I only have one...the E400 so my next body will probably be the E620 for the smaller size...
The kit lenses - excellent
The 25mm - if you like pancake or prime lenses its a good little performer
And with an adapter virtually any old lens can fit on a 4/3rds body...
For a wide I got the 11-22 but as with everything available funds count...the reports of the 7-14 and 9-18 are good...
so before you leap...decide on what your expectations of the Oly kit are and ask us all how easily it will do it...those that move away usually do so for very specific reasons... and it hurts them horribly:eek:

Graham_of_Rainham
25th July 2009, 05:47 PM
Chris,

Welcome. I've tried all the cameras and all the lenses and I'm sorry to have to say this, but it really is all about personal choice.

Shops are so keen to make sales at the moment, if you ask to try out different models they will go the extra mile to get the sale, so take advantage of the current climate and make them earn their commission.

As for kit lenses, I actually prefer the old kit lenses and there are some excellent ebay deals on those.

The 25mm is optically very good but has the obvious limitations... It's ideal for the 620 as a "pocket" walkabout.

SO:

Go have fun in the shops and keep in mind "commission", think how hard you have had to work to get the money to buy the thing, so make them earn their share of your money.;)

Do let us know how you get on: *chr

Trausti Hraunfjord
25th July 2009, 06:49 PM
John, these Puffin shots are fantastic. At what distance did you shoot the first one? As an Icelander I can assure you that these snacks ...err... birds are well known to me, but quite honestly, I have never seen such a great photographic shot of one as the first one you have there.

Absolutely fantastic!

Ian
25th July 2009, 07:35 PM
The Alpha 700 is a very fine camera, but it does lack live view, and the cheaper kit lens is, frankly, poor. The 16-80 Sony Carl Zeiss branded one is good, but I'd rate the inexpensive Olympus 14-42 kit lens as not far off, and if you got the 14-54 or 12-60 you would be impressed.

Also, all E-System cameras have the AF motor in the lens, not in the camera body operated via a driveshaft. Sony is slowly moving to the in-lens AF motor, but only for the expensive lenses at the moment.

The E-30 is closest in spec to the A700. It's great value at the moment. If you really want a smaller and lighter model, the E-620 is hard to beat.

What kind of photography do you mainly do? This will help determine which model is best for you.

Ian

chrism_scotland
25th July 2009, 08:45 PM
Thanks folks, the image quality of the shots look amazing! Only lens I've ever had that looks that good is the Beercan,
My main type of photography is architecture and landscapes, I have heard the E-30 is better in low light, is that correct?
I would perhaps get the 14-42 lens and then add either a wide angle or maybe just go for the 12-60 and use one len to start with, although those shots of the puffin from music man show how good the "kit" telephoto is too so I could be tempted by that.

Ian you say the e-620 is hard to beat is it a big step from its predecessor the e520?

Makonde
26th July 2009, 08:06 AM
I have an E520 and while I am not tempted to upgrade (I'm waiting for the successor to the E3) there are considerable and significant improvements in the E620 that for me would mean no hesitation in going for that rather than a new E520 now. Better sensor, dynamic range and ISO sensitivity, somewhat larger viewfinder and smaller size are the key ones.

All the Zuiko lenses seem very good indeed with the weakest of those I have being the kit 14-45, while the kit 40-150 is an outstanding lens in good light conditions. You get what it says - other makes may bill a lens as F2 but by many accounts they are soft until you close down to F3.5 - that sort of thing - but with the ZD lenses if it says F2.8 it means fully sharp at F2.8. If you have the money, there is an ample range of fantastic lenses although Oly's enthusiasts are always wanting more...

The in-body Image Stabilisation as in the 520 and 620 works with all lenses and that and the dust-busting are truly effective.

I'd go for the 620 rather than the E 30 or 520 right now - the E30 seems like an anomaly already in the series and maybe that's why it's starting to be on offer, while the new EP-1 is evidently in short supply!

Like many another, I hummed and hawed about full frame Nikons but once you take the decision not to go for the bulk and expense of full frame the logic and the likely future gives Olympus a clear edge over other makes IMO. They are going in the right direction.

theMusicMan
26th July 2009, 08:13 AM
John, these Puffin shots are fantastic. At what distance did you shoot the first one? As an Icelander I can assure you that these snacks ...err... birds are well known to me, but quite honestly, I have never seen such a great photographic shot of one as the first one you have there.

Absolutely fantastic!Hi Trausti - thanks for those comments, its lovely to ready comments like this, thank you so much. For the first one I was only several feet away from the bird - it's not a cropped image either :)

When I visited Skomer for that trip, having already taken many typical images of these snacks... errrm... Puffins ( :) ) on previous trips to Skomer - I challenged myself for this trip to get some alternate Puffin images and specifically the shot you see there i.e. absolutely straight on, and with eye contact.

Glad you like it. :)

crimbo
26th July 2009, 08:37 AM
... As an Icelander I can assure you that these snacks ...err... birds are well known to me, ...

Would that be the Faroese variant where they are buried for many months before being hung up outside the cabin of fishing boat to provide a chewy snack at any time of the day?

Chris -my funds have limited me to the old 11-22mm...amazing lens...kept level it is difficult to see much distortion at 11mm and a 90 deg view.
Go play with as much as you can get your hands on and hopefully you will convert

chrism_scotland
26th July 2009, 09:36 AM
Thanks folks, I had been attracted to the E-30 partly by the current offer in Jessops but also the widely favourable reviews it seems to have had in the photographic press, yet noone seems to use it!
I'm not too bothered but I did feel the E-30 would be more of an equivalent to my A700.
A cheaper twin lens kit E-620 would leave me cash to go toward a wide angle lens though so I may well go down that route.
I take it the E-30 is not significantly better than the E-620?

theMusicMan
26th July 2009, 09:40 AM
Chris - the only person I know who has an E-30 is John Baker - he's on here, perhaps drop John a PM and ask. I know he loves it.

PaulE
26th July 2009, 12:06 PM
I can't comment on the E520 / E620 / E30 as I'm stuck on old technology (E410 + E510) but as for the kit lenses I don't think you have anything at all to worry about. I've not used other brand kit lenses myself but I have seen alot of pictures from them now both on the net and more importantly at our club meetings and each time felt a bit smug at just how sharp the Olympus photos are in comparison. There are now 3 Olympus users in our realtively small club of 20ish members and 9 times out of 10 you can quite easily pick out the Olympus photos based on just how sharp the photos are. Granted those with the Canikons + 1 Pentax could apply a hell of alot of unsharp mask in PP to get to the same result but the amount that would be required, would I'm certain, result in some really funky looking artifacts / halos.

Anyway here are a few more examples of what the kit lenses (and a couple of other standard grade lenses) are capable of:

14-42mm 1:3.5 - 4 (Standard grade kit lens)
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/15587/size/big/cat/

40-150mm 1:4 - 5.6 (Standard grade Kit lens)
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/16671/size/big/cat

70-300mm 1:4 - 5.6 (Standard grade)
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/783
All but the landscape shot this gallery taken with the 70-300.

35mm Macro 1:3.5 (Standard grade macro)
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showgallery.php/cat/766
All Buterflies taken in this gallery taken with this lens

theMusicMan
26th July 2009, 12:43 PM
WOW Paul... that 1st shot with the 14-42 is exceptional. Stunning image, really top class.

Chris - these are with either the Oly kit lenses, or with 'budget' level lenses. Goes to show you really do have nothing to worry about.

Jonesgj
26th July 2009, 01:33 PM
Chris,

I have E520 and E620 pictures on my flickr account for you to view.

I decided to upgrade because 1) I am a bit of a techno head, but 2) I was very very impressed with the E620. I particularly like the size and the articulating screen

I have also owned:

E300, E500, E510, and a Canon 450D

I still have the E520 which my daughter uses and my Son uses an E420. We are an Olympus family!

Check my signature for the rest of my kit, but I also have the three kit lenses.

As I mentioned I have also purchased a Canon 450D which is a great camera but sold it to stick with Olympus.

I have used an E30 before going with the E620. This was at an Olympus UK Photo Safari Group 'meet'. I would advise you to join this group and I can put you in touch if interested. Through this group I have been able to meet other Olympus users who (like this forum) have given me much practical advice and been able to try all of the new kit I have been interested-in.

Personally I preferred the feel of the E620 but it is a personal choice.

I wouldnít buy a E520 new unless you cannot stretch to a new E620 (£498 body only) The E520 would be my choice, however, over the E420 because of image stabilisation and wireless flash built-in.

I seem to roll-out the same words when anyone asks for advice on converting to Olympus, but then again I went through the same questions and doubts (nearly being turned to the ĎDark-sideí with the 450D) so I hope all the above helps

Kind regards

Graydon

chrism_scotland
26th July 2009, 02:09 PM
Chris,

I have E520 and E620 pictures on my flickr account for you to view.

I decided to upgrade because 1) I am a bit of a techno head, but 2) I was very very impressed with the E620. I particularly like the size and the articulating screen

I have also owned:

E300, E500, E510, and a Canon 450D

I still have the E520 which my daughter uses and my Son uses an E420. We are an Olympus family!

Check my signature for the rest of my kit, but I also have the three kit lenses.

As I mentioned I have also purchased a Canon 450D which is a great camera but sold it to stick with Olympus.

I have used an E30 before going with the E620. This was at an Olympus UK Photo Safari Group 'meet'. I would advise you to join this group and I can put you in touch if interested. Through this group I have been able to meet other Olympus users who (like this forum) have given me much practical advice and been able to try all of the new kit I have been interested-in.

Personally I preferred the feel of the E620 but it is a personal choice.

I wouldnít buy a E520 new unless you cannot stretch to a new E620 (£498 body only) The E520 would be my choice, however, over the E420 because of image stabilisation and wireless flash built-in.

I seem to roll-out the same words when anyone asks for advice on converting to Olympus, but then again I went through the same questions and doubts (nearly being turned to the ĎDark-sideí with the 450D) so I hope all the above helps

Kind regards

Graydon

Thanks mate, I will go in and try the E-620 and E-30, from what I've read here I can see there are improvements to be gained from buying the 620 and there is not a huge price differential, I will see if I like the E-30, is it size and weight wise much bigger than the E-620?

Jonesgj
26th July 2009, 02:31 PM
This is an interesting question. I am really pleased with the 'feel' and size of the E520. The grip for me is spot on, and when the e30 came out (compared to the previous 'new cams' at the time - E420) it looked as though the grip would suit me. However, when I tried it there was no instant 'buy me' appeal. It felt - and remember this is personal - a little too big :confused: In all other departments it was excellent but to me it wasn't quite right.

Strangely enough I completely dismissed the E620 as being too small and missing the E520-like grip I liked. I also was concerned about how it would balance with the larger lenses. Well when I tried it, actually held it, and placed a 70-300 on it, all those concerns vanished and I had to have one *super

Hope this helps.

Ian
26th July 2009, 03:34 PM
Thanks folks, the image quality of the shots look amazing! Only lens I've ever had that looks that good is the Beercan,
My main type of photography is architecture and landscapes, I have heard the E-30 is better in low light, is that correct?
I would perhaps get the 14-42 lens and then add either a wide angle or maybe just go for the 12-60 and use one len to start with, although those shots of the puffin from music man show how good the "kit" telephoto is too so I could be tempted by that.

Ian you say the e-620 is hard to beat is it a big step from its predecessor the e520?

Yes, over the E-520 the E-620 has:

articulating screen
12MP vs. 10MP
Improved noise management
Slightly faster shooting
Slightly larger viewfinder
7 AF points instead of 3
Optional battery grip
Illuminated controls for night time use

Ian

Jonesgj
26th July 2009, 04:13 PM
Here's my thoughts overlayed on Ian's list with a High Medium Low 'want' rating:

articulating screen ---------------------- High (if only it was 3" 930,000 :rolleyes:)
12MP vs. 10MP ------------------------- Medium High
Improved noise management ------------ High but I didnt considered it an issue at the time on the E520*
Slightly faster shooting ----------------- Not considered an issue, but welcomed*
Slightly larger viewfinder ---------------- High (If only it was like the E3)
7 AF points instead of 3 ----------------- High
Optional battery grip -------------------- Not considered, though I find the the little BLS-1 batteries run out far quicker then the BLM-1. I covered Waddington Airshow 2007 and used two batteries all day, 100s of shots. Attending a recent Street shoot with Olympus Safari group I used 3 batteries over 4 hours/less shots. I have seven batteries ready for our holidays in two weeks and an extra charger from Amazon.
Illuminated controls for night time use --- Not considered an issue*

ALSO:
Improved LCD ------------------------- High
Greater ISO control -------------------- Low Medium
Art Filters ----------------------------- Not wanted, but having fun with them now!
Improved Liveview---------------------- Not sure if it is improved but the focusing is better, and its more enjoyable to use.

* Remember I am still a relative newbie myself, and some of these things may have been scrutinised more by Ian and the more experienced togs.

chrism_scotland
26th July 2009, 05:33 PM
Thanks again folks, I've reserved the E-30 with the 14-42mm lens at Jessops for £699.99 and I will reserve an E-620 with the twin lens kit and see which I prefer, as an aside I would be looking for a wide angle lens option and I note the 9-18mm and 11-22mm have been recommended in the thread, what would a rough used price be for either of those?

Archphoto
26th July 2009, 06:04 PM
Used 11-22mm ~~ new 9-18mm, and unless you need a f:2.8-f:3.5 lens, the 9-18mm would be preferable because of its wider angle and less weight.

Peter

chrism_scotland
26th July 2009, 08:54 PM
Used 11-22mm ~~ new 9-18mm, and unless you need a f:2.8-f:3.5 lens, the 9-18mm would be preferable because of its wider angle and less weight.

Peter

Thanks Peter, I may also consider the Sigma 10-20, I had one for my A700 and was very impressed although I know it wouldn't be quite as wide with the 2x crop factor on the Olympus.

Well I am around 80% certain I am going to switch to the Olympus system, and leaning about 70/30 toward the e620 over the e-30.

The cash saved can go toward a wide angle and some ND filters!

Chillimonster
27th July 2009, 07:07 PM
Well,

I've just called my local Jessops branch after a tip-off on another forum and reserved an E-30 with 14-42 AND THEY'VE THROWN IN A 40-150 AS WELL, for the princly sum of £699.

I've reserved the last one in my local store.

My D700 and lenses up for sale over on the other forum and "I'm coming Home!!"

Looking forward to:

A Lighter kit
smaller lenses
edge to edge sharpness
some 'wedge' in my bank :D

theMusicMan
27th July 2009, 07:09 PM
Wehey Chris... :)

If you fancy purchasing an Oly11-22mm lens... give me a shout as I'm after raising funds for a 7-14mm... :)

chrism_scotland
27th July 2009, 07:13 PM
Well,

I've just called my local Jessops branch after a tip-off on another forum and reserved an E-30 with 14-42 AND THEY'VE THROWN IN A 40-150 AS WELL, for the princly sum of £699.

Looking forward to:

A Lighter kit
smaller lenses
edge to edge sharpness

I should give that a go, see if they'll throw in the 40-150! Is the e-30 that much smaller than your D700?

Chillimonster
27th July 2009, 07:16 PM
I should give that a go, see if they'll throw in the 40-150! Is the e-30 that much smaller than your D700?

Noticibly so, and half the weight :)

Chillimonster
27th July 2009, 07:18 PM
Wehey Chris... :)

If you fancy purchasing an Oly11-22mm lens... give me a shout as I'm after raising funds for a 7-14mm... :)

I'd hold on to the 11-22 even if i had the 7-14 John.

Two completely different beasts (IMO) with the 7-14 being a specialist 'when you need it you need it' type of lens where you could quite happily shoot all day with the 11-22 on the front.

tlove
27th July 2009, 07:29 PM

Looking forward to:

A Lighter kit
smaller lenses
edge to edge sharpness

OMG - Chris, are you serious :eek::D:D:D?

Welcome back matey, it's been very quiet without you - more to the point, what does that tell you about Olympus kit then:):)!

I had a major 'wobble' the other week and nearly left Olympus myself (I'm still having nightmares about it now:o:o!) - thankfully I saw the error of my ways thanks to the lovely people on here!

Thea

Chillimonster
27th July 2009, 07:33 PM
Deadly Serious Thea.

I've seen the error of my ways, and it's nice to know i've been missed :D

I've never doubted the Oly system from a quality point of view, but at the time the shooting i was doing required high iso and little noise and the D700 delivers that in spades :)

I'll miss the D700, but not as much as i've missed the 4/3rd system (as John will confirm - i've 'chewed his ear' a number of times in the past few months on PM's)

Chris

tlove
27th July 2009, 07:38 PM
Poor John - that makes two of us who've been chewing his ear by pm recently then ;)

I look forward to seeing your postings then, you guys!!

Thea

theMusicMan
27th July 2009, 07:40 PM
I'll miss the D700, but not as much as i've missed the 4/3rd system (as John will confirm - i've 'chewed his ear' a number of times in the past few months on PM's)

Chris
... and you're very welcome Chris and Thea, I am flattered you considered my opinion worthy enough to ask. Thank you.

It will be great to have you back in the Oly house... :) We will meet up for a shoot one day, I know it.*chr

Chillimonster
27th July 2009, 07:40 PM
Does that mean i can start sharing my 365 on here again ;):p

theMusicMan
27th July 2009, 07:45 PM
I never said you shouldn't... ;)

Get posting 'em Chris!

Chillimonster
27th July 2009, 07:48 PM
Will be starting a new thread as soon as i collect the E-30 and continue with the last 1/3 of the 365.

If people want to catch up with it so far, it's on my Flickr and on my website as well as the other forum. I wont post 'em up here - tried it once :rolleyes:

:D

theMusicMan
27th July 2009, 07:49 PM
Will be starting a new thread as soon as i collect the E-30 and continue with the last 1/3 of the 365.

If people want to catch up with it so far, it's on my Flickr and on my website as well as the other forum. I wont post 'em up here - tried it once :rolleyes:

:DNo Chris... please do... ignore those who oppose.

theMusicMan
27th July 2009, 07:54 PM
I'd hold on to the 11-22 even if i had the 7-14 John.

Two completely different beasts (IMO) with the 7-14 being a specialist 'when you need it you need it' type of lens where you could quite happily shoot all day with the 11-22 on the front.
I agree they are two totally different beasts Chris... but I have the 14-54mm if I want an all-day lens. The thing is... I have been spoilt by being able to use one of these for a 3 week period back in May and by heck, it really is a seriously impressive piece of glass - and I really want one!

Might even sell the Bigma...!

chrism_scotland
27th July 2009, 09:27 PM
Well,

Looking forward to:

A Lighter kit
smaller lenses
edge to edge sharpness

How did you get them to throw in the 40-150?
I might try that in Jessops tommorrow!

Chillimonster
27th July 2009, 09:49 PM
How did you get them to throw in the 40-150?
I might try that in Jessops tommorrow!

I told them that i heard that there was a managers special on the E-30 where the 40-150 is thrown in - he checked and confirmed it.

Dont ask - dont get :p

chrism_scotland
27th July 2009, 10:07 PM
I told them that i heard that there was a managers special on the E-30 where the 40-150 is thrown in - he checked and confirmed it.

Dont ask - dont get :p
Hehe, might give that a go, a twin lens kit for £699 on the E-30 would convince me!

willo
28th July 2009, 10:13 AM
Another Olympus convert here (noticed Chillimonster and Chrism_Scotland from other forums), sold my Nikon D90 with lenses to make way for four thirds.

After a fair amount of research I narrowed it down to 2 bodies, the E-620 and E30, chose the E-620 as it fitted my purposes more, I didnít feel the E-30 offered me enough to justify the extra cost, also picked up a battery grip.

I heard the kit lenses where good, but the 12-60mm was another level. After more researching I decided to go for a 9-18mm and 14-54mm mk2 as this covers the range I tend to shoot in. Iím not sure how much better the 12-60mm is compared to the 14-54mm mk2, if it is a lot better then I may upgrade to it. Also got a 70-300mm lense, this is the one Iíll probably use the least as I donít tend to shoot at such a long distance, more of a just in case I need the extra reach lense.

All in all Iím happy with the setup, managed to get out at the weekend and put the kit through its paces and Iím impressed by the results. Hopefully I'll be adding a prime and flash soon.

chrism_scotland
28th July 2009, 10:33 AM
Another Olympus convert here (noticed Chillimonster and Chrism_Scotland from other forums), sold my Nikon D90 with lenses to make way for four thirds.

After a fair amount of research I narrowed it down to 2 bodies, the E-620 and E30, chose the E-620 as it fitted my purposes more, I didnít feel the E-30 offered me enough to justify the extra cost, also picked up a battery grip.

I heard the kit lenses where good, but the 12-60mm was another level. After more researching I decided to go for a 9-18mm and 14-54mm mk2 as this covers the range I tend to shoot in. Iím not sure how much better the 12-60mm is compared to the 14-54mm mk2, if it is a lot better then I may upgrade to it. Also got a 70-300mm lense, this is the one Iíll probably use the least as I donít tend to shoot at such a long distance, more of a just in case I need the extra reach lense.

All in all Iím happy with the setup, managed to get out at the weekend and put the kit through its paces and Iím impressed by the results. Hopefully I'll be adding a prime and flash soon.

Yep we're both "over there" too! I'm just heading into Jessops to give the E-620 and E-30, I know the E-30 is only £699 but I'm leaning toward te E-620 either body only and then buying the 12-60 or with the 14-42mm lens and adding a wide angle option as well. Although I will take a look at other bodies when I'm in too maybe the D90 and D5000 although its more the size of the E620 that attracts me I know the low light performance of a Nikon is likely to be better than an E620 or indeed my current Sony A700.

Ian
28th July 2009, 10:35 AM
Deadly Serious Thea.

I've seen the error of my ways, and it's nice to know i've been missed :D

I've never doubted the Oly system from a quality point of view, but at the time the shooting i was doing required high iso and little noise and the D700 delivers that in spades :)

Chris

Hey Chris - welcome back and thanks for keeping the faith with the e-group despite the (undeserved, in my opinion) rough ride you had here when you switched to the D700.

That E-30 deal is unbelievable :)

Ian

OlyPaul
28th July 2009, 10:57 AM
Welcome back Chris, and that E-30 deal is really good !

You will not regret it, I love my E-30. :)

Chillimonster
28th July 2009, 11:29 AM
Hey Chris - welcome back and thanks for keeping the faith with the e-group despite the (undeserved, in my opinion) rough ride you had here when you switched to the D700.

That E-30 deal is unbelievable :)

Ian

Thanks Ian, it's good to be back. I still visited every day, even if i did stay logged out most of the time ;)

I've just got back from the Trafford Centre Jessops with my E-30 twin lens kit.

The offer is that the 40-150 is free with the E-30 body irrespective of wether the body is part of a kit or not and is in all jessops. It makes the E-30 INCREDIBLE value *yes

I dont expect to see them on the shelf for long :)

Welcome back Chris, and that E-30 deal is really good !

You will not regret it, I love my E-30. :)

Thanks Paul :)

theMusicMan
28th July 2009, 02:23 PM
I've just got back from the Trafford Centre Jessops with my E-30 twin lens kit.

... we demand pics... or quite simply, the purchase didn't happen... :p

chrism_scotland
28th July 2009, 02:32 PM
Well I've just been in Jessops and had a play with both the E620 and E30, they didn't know anything abou a special on the 40-150 in fact they didn't even seem to realize the price of the E-30!
I preferred the E620 over the E30 as it's a better size and I don't know why but I wasn't too struck with the E30.
That said I also played with a Nikon D90 and over that too, don't know what to do!

Chillimonster
28th July 2009, 02:34 PM
... we demand pics... or quite simply, the purchase didn't happen... :p

http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/img146.jpg (http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/16708)

:p

theMusicMan
28th July 2009, 02:41 PM
Well I've just been in Jessops and had a play with both the E620 and E30, they didn't know anything abou a special on the 40-150 in fact they didn't even seem to realize the price of the E-30!
I preferred the E620 over the E30 as it's a better size and I don't know why but I wasn't too struck with the E30.
That said I also played with a Nikon D90 and over that too, don't know what to do!
Chris

I am sure you'll make your own mind up based on what your photographic requirements are. However, please consider this though: the in-camera IS... it really is awesome, and means that with each and every lens you place on your E-620, you will get fantastic IS... with each and every lens you use. No extra charges for VR or Lens IS, and believe it or not.. it works tremendously. I have handheld shots in my www gallery that really do have a 1 second exposure... this was possibly ONLY because of the E-3 in-camera IS system.

This one 1sec @ f4.5

http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v3/p96950796.jpg

This one 1.3 sec @ f5.6
http://www.reflectingme.com/img/v3/p380657780.jpg

You simply won't get that on any other camera make. Simple as.

Both shots from my 'Paddington at Work (http://www.reflectingme.com/p16373383)' gallery.

Chillimonster
28th July 2009, 02:45 PM
Gotta agree with John here, its one of the thing that brought me back from a Full Frame D700 back to the 4/3rds system.

The other biggie for me is no more 'Lens Lottery' - I know if i buy a ZD lens it WILL be top notch.

My advice is to go for whichever 4/3rds camera feels right and try it. Jessops have a 30day returns policy and after24 hours it will either feel right or it wont (in which case it goes back)

Chris

chrism_scotland
28th July 2009, 03:13 PM
Thanks folks I will think about it, I am very impressed with the E620 its actually smaller than I thought it would be an opting for it would give me room to develop later on with more advanced bodies.
I've really got 3 options now,
1. Sell A700, buy Olympus E620, twin lens kit and add a wide angle of some description maybe.
2. Keep my A700, buy another 10-20 for wide angle and just take it with me more often!
3. Sell A700, Buy a Nikon D90 with the 18-105 lens and then add a wide angle and maybe 50mm.

The dearest option would be the Nikon and its improved low light performance would be good but its no smaller than my A700.
The cheapest would probably be to buy the E620, and then add maybe a Sigma 10-20 to the kit, can you get a decent prime like a 50mm?

Ian
28th July 2009, 04:56 PM
Thanks folks I will think about it, I am very impressed with the E620 its actually smaller than I thought it would be an opting for it would give me room to develop later on with more advanced bodies.
I've really got 3 options now,
1. Sell A700, buy Olympus E620, twin lens kit and add a wide angle of some description maybe.
2. Keep my A700, buy another 10-20 for wide angle and just take it with me more often!
3. Sell A700, Buy a Nikon D90 with the 18-105 lens and then add a wide angle and maybe 50mm.

The dearest option would be the Nikon and its improved low light performance would be good but its no smaller than my A700.
The cheapest would probably be to buy the E620, and then add maybe a Sigma 10-20 to the kit, can you get a decent prime like a 50mm?

I think a D90 has the edge on the E30 or E-620 for high ISO noise, but from 400 up to 1600 it's very close. The gap widens at 3200.

All lenses will be image stabilised on an E-30 or E-620, even 35 year old OM lenses fitted with an adapter.

There is a choice of 'standard' primes. The cheapest is the 25mm f/2.8 pancake, next up would be the 30mm f1/.4 Sigma, there is also a 25mm f/1.4 Panasonic Leica - very nice, but quite expensive. The most popular 'prime' is the 50mm f/2 Macro, which also doubles as a great portrait lens. It is optically outstanding.

Ian

Ian
28th July 2009, 05:06 PM
The cheapest I have seen at a quick look for an E-620 twin lens kit is £629 from UK Digital. A 9-18 Zuiko Digital is around £430, so you could have 9-150mm (18-300) in three very compact and lightweight lenses, with the E-620 body for around £1059.

Ian

Ian
28th July 2009, 05:14 PM
The cheapest I have seen at a quick look for an E-620 twin lens kit is £629 from UK Digital. A 9-18 Zuiko Digital is around £430, so you could have 9-150mm (18-300) in three very compact and lightweight lenses, with the E-620 body for around £1059.

Ian

Or how about the 9-18 plus the 18-180? 9-180 (18-360) in just two lenses!

On the other hand, while the 9-18 is a truly excellent lens, especially for the money, like all 10x superzooms, the 18-180 is not optically amazing, though not too bad. Certainly no worse than the Sony 18-70 kit lens.

Ian

chrism_scotland
28th July 2009, 05:16 PM
I think a D90 has the edge on the E30 or E-620 for high ISO noise, but from 400 up to 1600 it's very close. The gap widens at 3200.

All lenses will be image stabilised on an E-30 or E-620, even 35 year old OM lenses fitted with an adapter.

There is a choice of 'standard' primes. The cheapest is the 25mm f/2.8 pancake, next up would be the 30mm f1/.4 Sigma, there is also a 25mm f/1.4 Panasonic Leica - very nice, but quite expensive. The most popular 'prime' is the 50mm f/2 Macro, which also doubles as a great portrait lens. It is optically outstanding.

Ian

Thanks Ian, I will take a look at that, I am very interested in the E620, and I think its added portability would probably outweigh the D90's extra lowlight capability.
What would be the cheapest wide angle option for an Olympus, the Sigma 10-20?

Ian
28th July 2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks Ian, I will take a look at that, I am very interested in the E620, and I think its added portability would probably outweigh the D90's extra lowlight capability.
What would be the cheapest wide angle option for an Olympus, the Sigma 10-20?

I have to confess that I have not yet had the opportunity to use the Sigma 10-20, but from the reviews I have read, the Zuiko 9-18 is clearly a better lens, optically, as well as going wider. The Zuiko is £50 or so dearer, but it's not a lot. The 9-18 will also autofocus better under live view mode than the Sigma.

Ian

chrism_scotland
28th July 2009, 06:00 PM
Thanks again Ian, lots for me to ponder.

jonesy
28th July 2009, 06:10 PM
If you are lucky like I was, I was able to pick up my new 9-18 for under £400 including postage. (arrived next day)

chrism_scotland
28th July 2009, 07:30 PM
Another more general query, I found problems when buying square filters for some of my Sony stuff due to the size, I'm guess that for Olympus lenses the vast majority would be alright with 85mm square filters?

theMusicMan
28th July 2009, 07:33 PM
Yup, I have a few Cokin filters I use with my 11-22 mainly.

chrism_scotland
28th July 2009, 07:39 PM
Cheers John, another plus point for the Oly then!

theMusicMan
28th July 2009, 07:44 PM
Cheers John, another plus point for the Oly then!
Hehe...

In fact Chris, it's selected ones off this page. ND4 grad, ND2 Grad, ND8, ND4

http://www.surreyphotographyshop.co.uk/index.php?cPath=59

Zuiko
28th July 2009, 07:59 PM
Hehe...

In fact Chris, it's selected ones off this page. ND4 grad, ND2 Grad, ND8, ND4

http://www.surreyphotographyshop.co.uk/index.php?cPath=59

Hey John,

Thanks for that link. I've used Surrey Photography for filters in the past but forgot their exact name and couldn't seem to find them again. They give good service, stock a good range and are cheap. I'll certainly use them again now!

Cheers,

Ian
28th July 2009, 08:15 PM
Another more general query, I found problems when buying square filters for some of my Sony stuff due to the size, I'm guess that for Olympus lenses the vast majority would be alright with 85mm square filters?

Yes, I can use Cokin P-type filters using a 77mm adapter and a wide angle holder on the 14-35 f/2. The two kit lenses are are 58mm screw threads, while the 9-18 has a 72mm thread.

Ian

chrism_scotland
28th July 2009, 08:30 PM
Thanks Ian, just comparing the costs / benefits between keeping my A700 and adding lenses, or making the switch to Olympus.
Reckon I would go for the E620 twin lens kit (14-42 + 40-150), add a 25mm Pancake lens, and a spare battery and then later down the line buy a better wide angle lens as I can't afford one right now.
If I stay with my A700 then I would be adding the Sony 50mm f1.8 and probably a Sigma 10-20mm, but again probably later.

chrism_scotland
28th July 2009, 11:34 PM
Well sadly I think I am going to have to stay with the Sony just now, having worked out the costs of changing over the the E620 and buying another lens I can't afford it at the moment :(
I was hoping to more than cover the cost by selling my Sony kit but looking at used values I would be struggling and I can't afford to add any money, I may well pickup an e420 or e520 in the medium as a cheap smaller everyday camera though but I can't afford to switch completely to Olympus just now :(

chrism_scotland
29th July 2009, 09:16 PM
Been taking another think today, I feel that my A700 is being held back by not being able to afford uber expensive Carl Zeiss and Sony lenses, am I right in thinking that for example a 11-22 or 9-18mm lens on an Olympus is not going to be holding the camera back in terms of IQ?

theMusicMan
29th July 2009, 09:17 PM
Been taking another think today, I feel that my A700 is being held back by not being able to afford uber expensive Carl Zeiss and Sony lenses, am I right in thinking that for example a 11-22 or 9-18mm lens on an Olympus is not going to be holding the camera back in terms of IQ?Not sure I understand the question Chris...?:confused:

chrism_scotland
29th July 2009, 09:21 PM
Not sure I understand the question Chris...?:confused:

Basically are Olympus lenses better than the low end/cheap/non pro Sony lenses?

Ian
29th July 2009, 09:22 PM
Been taking another think today, I feel that my A700 is being held back by not being able to afford uber expensive Carl Zeiss and Sony lenses, am I right in thinking that for example a 11-22 or 9-18mm lens on an Olympus is not going to be holding the camera back in terms of IQ?

Check out:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_9-18_4-5p6_o20/

Then compare with:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/sigma_10-20_4-5p6_n15/

or

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/tamron_10-24_3p5-5p6_n15/

Ian

theMusicMan
29th July 2009, 09:31 PM
Basically are Olympus lenses better than the low end/cheap/non pro Sony lenses?
By a country mile.

The cheapest Olympus lenses (the 14-42 and 50-150 kit lenses and perhaps the 70-300mm) are a gazillion times better than the utter crap you get as kit lenses on any other brand. Seriously, they really are that good.

Oly mid range lenses are equivalent... perhaps slightly better in some regards, but are often more expensive than their equivalents. The 12-60mm is a class above any equivalent.

Oly Pro lenses... 7-14mm, 14-35mm, 35-100mm, 300mm, 90-250mm well... they're Zuiko glass... says it all really.

:)

chrism_scotland
29th July 2009, 09:45 PM
Ok, looking at potential body/lens combos.
Now the twin kit of E620, 14-42 and 40-150 look good but would the 14-54 be a major step up in image quality?

theMusicMan
29th July 2009, 09:48 PM
Now the twin kit of E620, 14-42 and 40-150 look good but would the 14-54 be a major step up in image quality?
In a word, yes. It's like going up a resolution. But the kit lenses are quite capable of yielding excellent results.

I have the 14-54mm, and use this for the majority of all my studio, wedding and portrait jobs. OK, I have used the 35mm as well as the 70-300mm... :)

You do seem to be in a bit of a quandary here Chris... what is it exactly that you want to shoot? How can we help you make your mind up...?

Ian
29th July 2009, 09:51 PM

This may be controversial :D

The main advantages of the 14-54 are brightness (f.2.8-3.5 compared 3.5-5.6and it has longer reach. In terms of sharpness, the 14-42 is a pretty close match. The 14-54 has slightly less wide angle distortion and it is weather proofed and has a metal lens mount, but is bigger and heavier. If you are used to the Sony 18-70, you will be very pleasantly surprised by the 14-42. I suppose I feel that if you are investing in the light and compact E-620, the 14-54 doesn't make sense to me.

Ian

chrism_scotland
29th July 2009, 09:53 PM
I'm looking into how I would replace my kit lineup with Olympus equivalents, so to replace my 17-70 I would be looking at 14-42 or 14-54, for a wide angle either a new 9-18 or very tempted by the 11-22 in the classifieds.
Although I could buy the 18-180 as a general lens its a good range but is it actually any good?
Would probably replace my 50mm with a straight swap for a 25mm pancake lens.

theMusicMan
29th July 2009, 09:55 PM
I'm looking into how I would replace my kit lineup with Olympus equivalents, so to replace my 17-70 I would be looking at 14-42 or 14-54, for a wide angle either a new 9-18 or very tempted by the 11-22 in the classifieds.
Although I could buy the 18-180 as a general lens its a good range but is it actually any good?Ian is the expert here re knowledge of Oly lenses... but I'd say one of the weakest lenses in the Oly line up is the 18-180mm. The range is excellent, but I'm not sure that the IQ is up to any of the other Zuiko budget lenses.

What's the crop on your Sony...?

chrism_scotland
29th July 2009, 09:57 PM
Ian is the expert here re knowledge of Oly lenses... but I'd say one of the weakest lenses in the Oly line up is the 18-180mm. The range is excellent, but I'm not sure that the IQ is up to any of the other Zuiko budget lenses.

Sony crop is 1.5, been working out the equivalent focal lengths, I'm not too bothered about the wide angle, Oly would be 18mm or 22mm 35mm equivalent v 15mm on the Sony so not a massive difference.

In terms of quality I can imagine even the 14-42 may not be that far off the Sigma 17-70 I'm currently using as a all purpose lens.

chrism_scotland
29th July 2009, 11:09 PM
Well looks live I've just ordered an E620, 14-42 and 14-54mm lens, don't really need the 40-150 at the mo and I'm sure I can get one cheaply if I need.

Archphoto
30th July 2009, 02:01 AM
If you have the 14-42mm the 9-18mm would be a better addition than the 11-22mm.
A used 11-22mm sells for the price of a new 9-18mm.

Check my gallery, there are 3 photos of the same item: one shot at 7mm, the second at 9mm and the last one shot at 11mm, all shots taken with the 7-14mm.

Since I have the 7-14mm I still use the 11-22mm at times when I need to be focussed more on details in an interior.

By the way, I shoot as easily with the 7-14mm Top Pro Lens as I do with the 14-42mm kitlens and seldom see a diference in image quality.

Peter

willo
30th July 2009, 07:32 AM
I think the 9-18mm would be a better choice, it's very sharp and doesn't weigh a ton. I had the Sigma 10-20mm on my old D90, that was big and heavy, never really got on with it. Read the review on dpreview:

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/olympus_9-18_4-5p6_o20/

"Quite simply this is a lens which does the job asked of it extremely competently with the minimum of fuss. We've long said that the great strength of the E-system lies in the lenses, with Olympus taking advantage of the smaller area of the Four Thirds sensor to produce optics which are simply more consistent in overall image quality and edge-to-edge performance than those of its competitors. The company also provides arguably the most comprehensive and coherent range of digital-optimised zooms currently available (however if you're a prime shooter you really need to look elsewhere). The 9-18mm slots neatly into the last real gap in the line-up, providing a relatively inexpensive wide angle zoom with the image quality Olympus users have come to expect. It has only one real weakness, lateral chromatic aberration, and even then this is relatively easy to negate in post-processing when necessary. So despite this flaw, it earns our top award."

Here's a shot I took at Canary Wharf with the lens:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3495/3766725772_31f3f866ab_o.jpg

Ian
30th July 2009, 07:53 AM
Ian is the expert here re knowledge of Oly lenses... but I'd say one of the weakest lenses in the Oly line up is the 18-180mm. The range is excellent, but I'm not sure that the IQ is up to any of the other Zuiko budget lenses.

I used the 18-180 for a couple of months back in 2006 when the E-330 first came out. At the time I felt less than comfortable with th lens, but I had been spoiled by having used the 14-54 almost exclusively, and with the E-1. The 18-180 is much darker and so is less easy to focus (and autofocus). I could see that it wasn't as sharp as the 14-54, but I did revisit some of my 18-180 shots recently and I have come to the conclusion that the performance of the lens is not bad at all. The key is to stop it down and not rely on it wide open.

Here is one taken from that time, using the E-330. Note that the lens is stopped down to f/8

http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/data/550/e-330-sample-5050.jpg (http://fourthirds-user.com/galleries/showphoto.php/photo/7541)

Ian

chrism_scotland
30th July 2009, 01:52 PM
Well hopefully by next weekend I should have my E620!! I'm really looking forward to the change!

theMusicMan
30th July 2009, 01:57 PM
That's the best shot I've seen from the 18-180 Ian, very nice DR too.

Chris - glad you've made a decision, I'm sure you'll love it.

chrism_scotland
30th July 2009, 05:44 PM
Well I've had my order confirmed 0% finance that I can pay off once I sell my Sony kit, ordered the 14-42 and 14-54mm

Chillimonster
31st July 2009, 12:27 PM
Just had an email to say this thread has been updated, but when i get here it hasn't :confused:

theMusicMan
31st July 2009, 12:29 PM
Just had an email to say this thread has been updated, but when i get here it hasn't :confused:
Someone posted, but then removed their post Chris. The system will have sent you an email informing you of the new post before it was removed.

Hope that helps.

Chillimonster
31st July 2009, 12:40 PM
OK, thanks for that John - thought something was playing up on the forums and randomly deleting posts. :p

chrism_scotland
6th August 2009, 08:56 AM
Well I just got my first bit of Olympus Kit, my 25mm pancake lens came this morning, not even got the body to put it on and I'm excited!

snaarman
6th August 2009, 09:36 AM
Well I just got my first bit of Olympus Kit, my 25mm pancake lens came this morning, not even got the body to put it on and I'm excited!

Now that is travelling light. Lens and no camera :-)

Pete

chrism_scotland
14th August 2009, 07:04 AM
Well I should be a full member of the E club by the end of the weekend, my E620 and 14-54 mm is out for delivery this morning! Can't wait!

theMusicMan
14th August 2009, 07:08 AM
Nice one Chris... congrats on your purchase. Looking forward to seeing some of your first shots with it.

chrism_scotland
15th August 2009, 02:13 PM
Well I've only had time for a wee play with it buy very impressed so far, although I think I will be buying the 9-18mm shortly as I want a bit wider angle!

crimbo
15th August 2009, 04:06 PM
so whats so good compared to the system you had?
whats not as good?

chrism_scotland
15th August 2009, 05:18 PM
Well the menu system I am finding a little difficult to navigate compared to the Sony as there are fewer words, all icons!
Also the LCD is not as hi-res but all things I knew.
Cracking size although with the 14-54 attached it is very front heavy, maybe look into getting a battery grip.
May well sell the pancake lens its good but I'm not sure I will use it all that much, think a 9-18 would serve me better.
I also have the 14-45 kit lens for when I really want a smaller lens to take anyway,although I will give the pancake a try over the next few weeks, it much smaller than the old 50mm I had on my Sony.