PDA

View Full Version : E500 Constantly Re-Booting

Naughty Nigel
23rd July 2009, 09:30 PM
My son's E500 has recently started playing up for no obvious reason.

When the camera is switched on, it re-starts itself every few seconds for no reason. Sometimes this happens almost continually, whilst other times it will keep going long enough to focus and if we are very luckly it will even take a photograph!

The battery is good and fully charged, and we have tried swapping memory cards - all to no avail.

I am tempted to try updating the firmware (if there is an update), but if it does this whilst it is being updated I suspect we will be up a creek without a paddle.

Has anyone else suffered this problem, and is there a fix?

I suspect that Olympus' repair costs would be proibitive. :(

Archphoto
23rd July 2009, 09:58 PM
Have you cleaned the contacts of your battery and those inside the camera ?
This looks like asif the battery is not making good contact with the camera.

Peter

Ken Lister
24th July 2009, 10:42 AM
My son's E500 has recently started playing up for no obvious reason.

When the camera is switched on, it re-starts itself every few seconds for no reason. Sometimes this happens almost continually, whilst other times it will keep going long enough to focus and if we are very luckly it will even take a photograph!

The battery is good and fully charged, and we have tried swapping memory cards - all to no avail.

I am tempted to try updating the firmware (if there is an update), but if it does this whilst it is being updated I suspect we will be up a creek without a paddle.

Has anyone else suffered this problem, and is there a fix?

I suspect that Olympus' repair costs would be proibitive. :(

Have you tried a different battery? It could be that the camera is not communicating with the battery properly and not recognising a full charge, then changing its mind. I once had a third party battery which showed full charge when checked with a multimeter, but the camera thought was nearly empty.

Ian
24th July 2009, 11:04 AM
!!! Under no circumstances should you try updating the firnware with the camera behaving like this!

If the firmware update is interrupted it will 'brick' your camera.

I would urge you to get it serviced by a reputable repair facility.

Ian

EH1
24th July 2009, 11:57 AM
Just a stab in the dark, have you tried to re-set the camera to factory default? This can sometimes cure silly faults;)

Naughty Nigel
24th July 2009, 12:10 PM
This is an odd one.

The battery is a genuine Olympus item, and has not been used that much since I bought it about two years ago. Rightly or wrongly we assumed the battery was above suspicion, especially as it was freshly charged.

Anyhow, I swapped the battery for the five year old Hahnell that I had in my E1, and which has taken 200 or so exposures since I charged it earlier this week. This seems to have solved the problem, and my son has just been out into the field and taken a few dozen photographs without any difficulty at all (including some with the inbuilt flash).

However, the 'faulty' Olympus battery seems to work perfectly well in my E1. :confused:

I suspect the internal resistance may be too high for the load of the E500, but is OK for the E1 (which probably uses less power).

I will try measuring the internal resistance of the two batteries over the weekend, and will report back.

Thank you everyone for your feedback anyhow. *chr