PDA

View Full Version : 50-200 SWD wont autofocus

michaelavis
19th July 2009, 02:42 PM
I've mounted my 50-200 SWD on my E-3 this afternoon only to find that it won't autofocus. Swiching on and off and changing some AF settings doesn't fix it (I was convinced it would!). There are faint noises and small/slow movements on the focus indicator on the lens and I get the confirmation beep when I use the manual focus ring so there is some kind of connection between body and lens.

My 12-60 is working fine, so I'm reluctantly concluding that the 50-200 AF system has blown up and it needs to go back to Olympus under warranty (Olympus US probably as I bought it from amazon.com while I was over there for a month last November).

However, before proceeding with that, no doubt frustrating and lengthy process, I thought I'd check to see if there is anybody who has seen this before or, even better, would know about some kind of reset for the lens.

I'm on day 2 of summer holiday and had great intentions for the 50-200, mainly action so AF is even more important - sod's law :mad:

Kiwi Paul
19th July 2009, 02:48 PM
Look at the electrical connections on the lens and see if something has become lodged in one of them preventing electrical contact, possibly clean them anyway with a cotton bud and some meths. (if all else fails just drink the meths then it won't matter for a while :( )

Paul

Kiwi Paul
19th July 2009, 02:54 PM
Another thought too, sometimes my lens gets all confused (just like me) and can't focus, it ends up at minimum focus lenght and I have to manually refocus it to infinity then it works fine unless I focus in something it can't decipher (clear skies or sand for instance) the it goes back to min focus again.

Hope this helps, good luck and enjoy your holiday.

Cheers,

Paul

michaelavis
19th July 2009, 03:30 PM
Thanks Paul, I tried these and they didn't cure it and the meths didn't cure me either :) Such a pain in the a!!!

j.baker
19th July 2009, 09:39 PM
Michael,

If you purchased the lens from new and if it was within the last year, then Olympus UK should be able to fix the lens for you. I belive that most, if not all, lenses have a 1 year international warantee. UK purchased kit has two years.

I just had my 50-200mm fixed. It took 2-3 weeks.

michaelavis
20th July 2009, 03:47 PM
Ah, yes, the international warranty, I think you're right. Can't get it sorted until I get home in 3 weeks so I'll just have to sharpen (pardon the pun) my manual focus technique in the meantime.

Michael,

If you purchased the lens from new and if it was within the last year, then Olympus UK should be able to fix the lens for you. I belive that most, if not all, lenses have a 1 year international warantee. UK purchased kit has two years.

I just had my 50-200mm fixed. It took 2-3 weeks.

obrugman
3rd January 2010, 12:21 PM
@ Michaelavis,

Dear Michael, did you have it sorted out, what was the problem, and how was it solved?

I'm asking because I'm having exactly the same issues with my Zuiko 70-300 mm. Thanks.

Wreckdiver
3rd January 2010, 12:54 PM
If you need to clean the contacts use isopropyl alchohol or a pencil eraser. DON'T use meths.

Steve

obrugman
3rd January 2010, 01:17 PM
@ Steve,
Thanks for the warming. My contacts are perfectly clean though. Seems the autofocus motor stopped working, for reasons yet unknown.

If you need to clean the contacts use isopropyl alchohol or a pencil eraser. DON'T use meths.

DerekW
3rd January 2010, 05:07 PM
Do other lenses focus correctly with the camera and does the aperture setting of the lens show on the LCD display on the top of the camera.

obrugman
3rd January 2010, 08:38 PM
@ Derek, thanks for your excellent question.
- Yes, other lenses do focus correctly on the same body.
- The lense shows the same focus malfunctions on an other E-system body.
best regards,

michaelavis
4th January 2010, 08:20 AM
@ Michaelavis,

Dear Michael, did you have it sorted out, what was the problem, and how was it solved?

I'm asking because I'm having exactly the same issues with my Zuiko 70-300 mm. Thanks.

I had to send my lens back to Olympus, the autofocus system had gone wrong. They fixed it under warranty and it's been fine since.

DerekW
4th January 2010, 09:50 AM
Obrugman - back to Oly for a service call for your lens.