PDA

View Full Version : No more longer E-3

ptomsu
14th January 2008, 07:49 PM
After some few thousand test shots mostly to figure out the AF reliability of my E-3 with Oly and non Oly FT lenses, I have decided that this was enough.

I was absolutely unsatisfied with all AF modes, especially under low light conditions. This simply did not work and did in best case produce unreliable results.

Thus I decided to give my E-3 and all FT gear I have back to my photo dealer and I am going back to Nikon again (thanks god I kept all my Nikon glass). I hope my D3 will arrive in some 2 months.

To all of you still suffering with the E-3 and it's issues, I wish you all the best and great patience with Oly hopefully solving these issues. And finally the results you expect.

For me this was my final try with FT and I will most likely never return to this pain again.:mad:

Barr1e
14th January 2008, 07:54 PM
I am surprised this is your first and presumably last post as you are returning to your roots.:eek:

Good luck.

Barr1e

ptomsu
14th January 2008, 08:35 PM
Well thanks, I am kind of reliefed now ;)

veggiesosage
14th January 2008, 08:59 PM
Well, thank goodness you're here to tell us these things, we all could have made a terrible mistake :rolleyes:

Glyn R
14th January 2008, 09:59 PM
Well we can all feel better now he's out of the way. Its nice to know someone is sorry for me though.

ptomsu
15th January 2008, 06:49 AM
Well, thank goodness you're here to tell us these things, we all could have made a terrible mistake :rolleyes:

See how much I am caring for you all ;)

Ellie
15th January 2008, 11:14 AM
I wonder why this chap's had to go round all the Olympus and 4/3 forums with the same post?

R MacE
15th January 2008, 12:26 PM
Sometimes you need the services of this guy :D

http://www.kyoht.com/archive/images/BiggestBillyGoatGruff.jpg

Invicta
15th January 2008, 12:35 PM
I wonder why this chap's had to go round all the Olympus and 4/3 forums with the same post?

Sounds like FUD being spread by a non Olympus user.

OlyPaul
15th January 2008, 03:05 PM
Sounds like FUD being spread by a non Olympus user.

Yep and I'd bet he can't take a decent picture to save his life whatever camera he uses. ;)

ptomsu
15th January 2008, 04:06 PM
I must say one thing:

I am really surprised how deep some of the members are shooting back here. It is almost as if they are fighting in a religious way for the FT system and the E-3.

I will not start discussions about my or anyone else capabilities in terms of intelligence, photography etc. here.

Why not just take this as given that FT obviously crashed in my case, namely Pana and Olympus together. Maybe it was only my wrong lens, or something wrong in my E-3. Period.

I made this move and everybody here is free to make their own moves and decisions.

But I would really speak for a forum if also other decisions and opinions are accepted and not discussed to death.

Good luck!

PeterD
15th January 2008, 05:19 PM
I must say one thing:

I am really surprised how deep some of the members are shooting back here. It is almost as if they are fighting in a religious way for the FT system and the E-3.

I will not start discussions about my or anyone else capabilities in terms of intelligence, photography etc. here.

Why not just take this as given that FT obviously crashed in my case, namely Pana and Olympus together. Maybe it was only my wrong lens, or something wrong in my E-3. Period.

I made this move and everybody here is free to make their own moves and decisions.

But I would really speak for a forum if also other decisions and opinions are accepted and not discussed to death.

Good luck!

Ptsomi,

We all make our choices and I respect yours. May I wish you good shooting for the future, whatever your preferences. At the end of the day the important thing is achieving images that YOU are happy with, whatever tools are used.

Good luck

PeterD

OlyFlyer
15th January 2008, 06:14 PM
After some few thousand test shots mostly to figure out the AF reliability of my E-3 with Oly and non Oly FT lenses, I have decided that this was enough.

I was absolutely unsatisfied with all AF modes, especially under low light conditions. This simply did not work and did in best case produce unreliable results.

Thus I decided to give my E-3 and all FT gear I have back to my photo dealer and I am going back to Nikon again (thanks god I kept all my Nikon glass). I hope my D3 will arrive in some 2 months.

To all of you still suffering with the E-3 and it's issues, I wish you all the best and great patience with Oly hopefully solving these issues. And finally the results you expect.

For me this was my final try with FT and I will most likely never return to this pain again.:mad: I think you should come to DPREVIEW and discuss there. I just handled the E-3 for the first time today, and only during about 15-25 and I am absolutely amazed. Especially the auto focus is amazingly good and fast. I tested with the ED50/f2 macro and the 14-54, and the camera with both lenses is just fenomenal. Of course, since I was not interested in the 12-60, that may be different, but I doubt.

So, my advice to you: If you want to be flamed, come and troll on DPR Oly dSLR forum. Of course, maybe you already are active troll over there, so you got tired of it. What's the point of coming here and tell all the people that Oly won't get you money? You really think we will jump ship because of you message?

Come on. Grow up. And if you really think the E-3 is that bad, why didn't you post a few images? As for the issues, well I may be crazy, but I didn't feel there were any. Of course, 15 minutes handling does not make me an expert, but considering I bought my E-500 without ever holding it before the box arrived and I already paid for, 15 minutes is an eternity, definitely enough for me to make up my mind. My verdict on the E-3: it is mine before April 2008, and I know we are going to be friends.

DerekW
15th January 2008, 06:31 PM
Sad thing is that the E3 has been rejected because an issue with a Panasonic lens. Who is to say which manufacturer is wrong - it could be a Panasonic issue

ptomsu
15th January 2008, 07:06 PM
I think you should come to DPREVIEW and discuss there. I just handled the E-3 for the first time today, and only during about 15-25 and I am absolutely amazed. Especially the auto focus is amazingly good and fast. I tested with the ED50/f2 macro and the 14-54, and the camera with both lenses is just fenomenal. Of course, since I was not interested in the 12-60, that may be different, but I doubt.

So, my advice to you: If you want to be flamed, come and troll on DPR Oly dSLR forum. Of course, maybe you already are active troll over there, so you got tired of it. What's the point of coming here and tell all the people that Oly won't get you money? You really think we will jump ship because of you message?

Come on. Grow up. And if you really think the E-3 is that bad, why didn't you post a few images? As for the issues, well I may be crazy, but I didn't feel there were any. Of course, 15 minutes handling does not make me an expert, but considering I bought my E-500 without ever holding it before the box arrived and I already paid for, 15 minutes is an eternity, definitely enough for me to make up my mind. My verdict on the E-3: it is mine before April 2008, and I know we are going to be friends.

Then be happy to have found the camera you like! I also had no bad experiences after 15min handling. Or do you think I would have sold my D2X then to ump on the Ft train with the E3 as my choice???

I hope for you that you will stay satisfied with the E3. And BTW, Oly already got my money for the E3, the 12-60 and the FL50R. The main reason behind were forums like this where people praise the quality of this FT standard as well as the hope to get a more lighter system than my Nikon. But now I happily traded that in for the D3. And I will not regret it.

AND - it was my own fault, I should have tested before buying :-))

ptomsu
15th January 2008, 07:09 PM
Sad thing is that the E3 has been rejected because an issue with a Panasonic lens. Who is to say which manufacturer is wrong - it could be a Panasonic issue

Well it ws not only the Pana lens, it was in some situations also the inconsistency in focus with the 12-60. But I must admit these situations were much more seldom and I would have survived with that.

But you exactly get the point here: multiple suppliers, none of them takes the blame if something gets wrong. One supplier you at least know who should be killed :o

PeterD
15th January 2008, 07:23 PM
Then be happy to have found the camera you like! I also had no bad experiences after 15min handling. Or do you think I would have sold my D2X then to ump on the Ft train with the E3 as my choice???

I hope for you that you will stay satisfied with the E3. And BTW, Oly already got my money for the E3, the 12-60 and the FL50R. The main reason behind forums like this where people praise the quality of this FT standard as well as the hope to get a more lighter system than my Nikon. But now I happily traded that in for the D3. And I will not regret it.

As I said before, what you choose is your own personal descision and I for one would not in any way think you made made the right or wrong choices. Please do not be surprised that we are supportive of the 4/3 system as we have our own choices. Its sad that your comments continue and that you feel the need to defend your descision. I, like Olyflyer, am curious about the results that you have achieved with the E3 but at the end of the day it does not matter. You clearly do not want to share the detail and explore solutions.

Good luck to you. You have chosen another good camera and I wish you well.

Kind regards

PeterD

ptomsu
15th January 2008, 07:33 PM
I would have posted results if I would not have already decided to change the vendor. I think at this stage it does no longer make sense as you say.

So enjoy your FT system(s) and just forget this issue.

rob280165
15th January 2008, 09:15 PM
Well I have to say that I traded my D2x and several Nikon pro lens because I wanted to get into the Olympus system. I have used my E-1 in my studio with wonderful results and my customers have never complained about the prints I produce. There seems to be a certain look which you can achieve with the E-1 that is not possible with the Nikon. As to the E-3 I have one but haven't had a chance to use it much but I have full confidence that the camera won't let me down.

theMusicMan
15th January 2008, 11:17 PM
I would have posted results if I would not have already decided to change the vendor. I think at this stage it does no longer make sense as you say.

So enjoy your FT system(s) and just forget this issue.Sorry, but I disagree.

Of course Peter is right, and I concurr that you have made your choice and were free to do so, I am happy that you have chosen whatever manufacturer you feel will give you the photography results you strive for.

However, due to the fact you remain somewhat active on here and continue to reply to posts, something tells me you will soon be happy to post images from your soon to be newly acquired D3 and say... "see.... the D3 is much better!" when you have refused to post images you say are inconsistent and of poor quality from your E-3.

You really should post these alleged poor images so that everyone can see them, understand your predicament and furthermore understand your rationale for moving away from Olympus and 4/3rds.

I don't mean to sound rude or harsh, but simply coming on here with your gripes, criticisms, issues, assertions of poor quality, and critique of the defense we, as members here, justifiably provide for Olympus and 4/3rds - just doesn't wash. You really ought to back up your not insubstantial claims with evidence and fact, or risk your credibility which will possibly diminish further.

Solar
16th January 2008, 05:45 AM
http://e-group.uk.net/gallery/data/500/medium/Troll.jpg

Happy Shooting!!

OlyFlyer
16th January 2008, 07:21 AM

I hope for you that you will stay satisfied with the E3. And BTW, Oly already got my money for the E3, the 12-60 and the FL50R. The main reason behind were forums like this where people praise the quality of this FT standard as well as the hope to get a more lighter system than my Nikon. But now I happily traded that in for the D3. And I will not regret it.

AND - it was my own fault, I should have tested before buying :-))Yes, as I said, 15 minutes does not make me an expert, but it is an eternity considering the tests I have done with my E-500 before buying it. In case I get problems with the E-3, I trust Oly service will handle it as good and professionally as the rest of my Oly gear the last 26 years. It is also the case that I don't plan to buy Pana lenses nor the 12-60 and I alredy have the FL-50 classic. Your problem may be in the 12-60 or the other lens. I am sorry if you sold your old camera, but have I had taken such a big step, I would have given the E-3 more chance. Even my 15 minutes shows clearly that the focusing is just extremely good and fast EVEN with my non SWD lenses. I tested with the ED50/f2 macro, and the focusing speed is just amazing. For the 14-54, the difference is noticable, but not that much. So, I assume that my planned next lens, the 50-200 SWD will be of a 'supersonic' speed.

Anyway, I think it is not very nice of you to register on a clear Oly forum and tell them you are not buying Oly because it is cr@p. It may be so that people for some strange reason don't appreciate that. :confused: Do you think it is OK to go to a Nikon site and raise issues about the D300 made in Thailand, a military dictatorship (yes, I know, the E-3, along with all the other Oly today is made in China), or the lack of proper anti dust system so many years after the intruduction of Oly E-1, or the lack of weather sealed cameras and lenses, or any other problems they have. Register on a Canon forum, try discuss back focus issues and in your first post mention you are not geting a Canon because of that.

At least the Oly forums discuss Oly problems immediately after somebody is discovering them. It does not take years, like it took for Canon to admit there is a backfocus issue. Have you ever visited the fourthirdsphoto.com forum? Full of issue discussions of any model. Nobody is got kicked out because an issue is raised. So, in my opinion, the blind fanboys are mostly populating other brand because they follow other fanboys and don't dare to go against the popularity of a brand. I don't think there is a need for a Messias on any Oly forum telling us how stupid we are, we do see the problems but we learn how to deal with them as well, not just sticking our heads in the sand. Don't worry, I will buy my E-3, and if I am not satisfied, I will make it public and never give up until Oly fixes the problems. I have already during my short session with the E-3 identified a few cons. If you are interested, you can read it here (http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=343802), including some of my images.

Anyway, I am sorry for your loss and wish you good luck for the future.

ptomsu
16th January 2008, 10:02 AM
Yes, as I said, 15 minutes does not make me an expert, but it is an eternity considering the tests I have done with my E-500 before buying it. In case I get problems with the E-3, I trust Oly service will handle it as good and professionally as the rest of my Oly gear the last 26 years. It is also the case that I don't plan to buy Pana lenses nor the 12-60 and I alredy have the FL-50 classic. Your problem may be in the 12-60 or the other lens. I am sorry if you sold your old camera, but have I had taken such a big step, I would have given the E-3 more chance. Even my 15 minutes shows clearly that the focusing is just extremely good and fast EVEN with my non SWD lenses. I tested with the ED50/f2 macro, and the focusing speed is just amazing. For the 14-54, the difference is noticable, but not that much. So, I assume that my planned next lens, the 50-200 SWD will be of a 'supersonic' speed.

Anyway, I think it is not very nice of you to register on a clear Oly forum and tell them you are not buying Oly because it is cr@p. It may be so that people for some strange reason don't appreciate that. :confused: Do you think it is OK to go to a Nikon site and raise issues about the D300 made in Thailand, a military dictatorship (yes, I know, the E-3, along with all the other Oly today is made in China), or the lack of proper anti dust system so many years after the intruduction of Oly E-1, or the lack of weather sealed cameras and lenses, or any other problems they have. Register on a Canon forum, try discuss back focus issues and in your first post mention you are not geting a Canon because of that.

At least the Oly forums discuss Oly problems immediately after somebody is discovering them. It does not take years, like it took for Canon to admit there is a backfocus issue. Have you ever visited the fourthirdsphoto.com forum? Full of issue discussions of any model. Nobody is got kicked out because an issue is raised. So, in my opinion, the blind fanboys are mostly populating other brand because they follow other fanboys and don't dare to go against the popularity of a brand. I don't think there is a need for a Messias on any Oly forum telling us how stupid we are, we do see the problems but we learn how to deal with them as well, not just sticking our heads in the sand. Don't worry, I will buy my E-3, and if I am not satisfied, I will make it public and never give up until Oly fixes the problems. I have already during my short session with the E-3 identified a few cons. If you are interested, you can read it here (http://forums.clubsnap.com/showthread.php?t=343802), including some of my images.

Anyway, I am sorry for your loss and wish you good luck for the future.

As I said, I wish you all the luck and happiness you want to see and find in the FT system.

But you should note that I registered on this forum when I still was holding all my Oly gear and was not planning at this time to step out. It was actually the other way round, I was seeking for different FT forums to find out if similar problems which I had were reported. And although I did not find my specific issues discussed here with the 1,4/25, I found lot of discussion in different forums about different issues with AF of the E3 and lot of Oly glass. And this finally, together with some more tests I did - where I could see again the missfocus under several conditions made me decide to give the system back.

The last thing I wanted to initiate here is another comparison discussion between different brands and camera models. Each system has for sure its merits and disadvantages. And my move back to Nikon does not mean that Oly is bad - not at all! It more means that I am not capable of getting used to it. Take it this way. So I choose all the disadvantages of Nikon (which are of course also existent) but they are the minor issue finally for me. There is NO PERFECT CAMERA or CAMERA SYSTEM :)

Ijay37
16th January 2008, 02:52 PM
[QUOTE=Barr1e;4546]
and presumably last post

If only. Do you think he works for Canikon ;)

PeterD
16th January 2008, 02:58 PM
[QUOTE=Barr1e;4546]
and presumably last post

I would not be so presumptious but, if we were giving prizes for a long goodbye, this would take the biscuit:).

PeterD

ptomsu
16th January 2008, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=Barr1e;4546]
and presumably last post

Wishfull thinking :D

Unfortunately for you all her I am not working for Canon, Nkon, Leica, Sony Pana etc. :eek:

This would have been a great message for you all. Interesting though how nervous people get. But stay calm, you can have the confidence to work with the best product and system.

So why worry :confused:

Ian
16th January 2008, 05:08 PM
I think this thread has gone the distance and so I'm closing it to further posts.

Ian