PDA

View Full Version : Report of a firmware update - grip and focus?

art frames
14th January 2008, 04:08 PM
Whilst Ian is asking Olympus about the power issue on the grip I wonder if he might enquire about a firmware update which is rumoured elsewhere.

http://www.fourthirdsphoto.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=20616

there are a few posts starting with this one...

'One poster on the Japanese site Kakaku.com states that he contacted Olympus about a problem with power cutting off when using the HLD-4 battery holder, and they told him they were aware of the problem and were planning to issue a firmware update around the end of this month. He didn't describe exactly what the symptoms were, so I don't know whether this problem has anything to do with anything people have experienced, but anyway. Let's hope the update also covers other issues people have been experiencing.'

I hope it will solve some of the niggles people have been having. I still haven't been able to get out to really test my focus out. But I want all of these teething troubles out of mind before the better weather and some planned shooting.

Peter

theMusicMan
14th January 2008, 10:51 PM
I too have experienced this problem with the power cutting off when using the HLD-4 grip. Not often, and I find that if I place the HLD-4 lock lever in the locked position it doesn't happen. Neither does it ever happen when not locked but I use the E-3 in portrait mode thus using the additonal shuter release button.

This has only happened when using the E-3 with grip, in landscape mode, with grip lock off...!

Ian
15th January 2008, 09:45 AM
I have nothing official, but at least I have had some assurances that the HLD-4 AA battery issue is being worked on and that some kind of announcement of a solution is due in the not too distant future.

It's pretty black and white - the spec says the HLD-4 should work with alkaline AAs and lithium AAs (actually, I don't see a mention of NiMH rechargeables anywhere in the instruction sheet), and the grips most of us have simply don't, so it needs to be fixed one way or another.

Ian