PDA

View Full Version : CF Card issue

PeterD
11th July 2009, 04:56 PM
Thought I would post a note on my experience with a 4Gb CF card as it may save you money should you experience the same issue.

I have used this card for many months without any problems. I then found that, when I erased all the images on it as I always do after downloading on the computer, that it reported less than 30 images available to take on the card:eek:

Tried going through the re-format routine using the E3 and - no change. Slightly worried, I reformatted the card using the PC and then popped it in the camera. Bingo, all was now OK 260 + images could be stored:D.

I could have scrapped the card believing it to be faulty but I have used it for the last two weeks and no repeat despite erasing images every day. Incidentally, following the reformat in the PC, the card formatted correctly in the camera.

Hope this makes sense.

Peter

Archphoto
11th July 2009, 05:08 PM
It does not......... however it is a helpfull tip.

I never fromat my CF cards after unloading the photo's onto my computer (>8000 pic's on the E410 and >2500 on the E520 ) and never had an issue.
I still get 517 photo's (.jpg max quality) out of my Sandisk 4Gb CF's every time.

Peter

PeterD
11th July 2009, 05:22 PM
It does not......... however it is a helpfull tip.

I never fromat my CF cards after unloading the photo's onto my computer (>8000 pic's on the E410 and >2500 on the E520 ) and never had an issue.
I still get 517 photo's (.jpg max quality) out of my Sandisk 4Gb CF's every time.

Peter

Peter

Up to this point neither did I carry out a format after erase. I still do not as a rule. I shoot RAW files hence the images capacity I quoted. Out of interest, has anyone tried CF cards of even greater capacity than 4 Gb?

Peter

Nick Temple-Fry
11th July 2009, 05:41 PM
Peter

Up to this point neither did I carry out a format after erase. I still do not as a rule. I shoot RAW files hence the images capacity I quoted. Out of interest, has anyone tried CF cards of even greater capacity than 4 Gb?

Peter

Peter

I often use 8gb cards with no problem on the E-3

Nick

PeterD
11th July 2009, 05:56 PM
Peter

I often use 8gb cards with no problem on the E-3

Nick

Thanks Nick. I have seen them advertised but held back buying until now.

Peter

Dogcow
11th July 2009, 07:11 PM
Same here, using 8GB SanDisk Extreme III CF cards without any problems.
Mostly just emptying them and occasional a reformat in the camera. Shooting RAW and occasionally JPEG superfine and never had any issues with the cards.

Ian
11th July 2009, 09:31 PM
I have one 16GB card and several 8GB cards from different manufacturers and they all work fine. 32GB cards are now down to around 50 depending on the brand and rated speed.

Ian

Barrie Norman
12th July 2009, 08:04 AM
Peter

Peter

Peter

I purchased some Kingston 8gb CF cards from ebay and they have been very good, I usally use sandisk and I have 4gb 12gb and 16gb extreme II and 16gb Extreme III all work very well but the Kingston ones were very cheap and I can't tell the difference in speed or anything, so give ebay a trawl

Barrie

DerekW
13th July 2009, 09:15 AM
I think that the format versus erase issue arose when users were deleting individual images from memory cards and as a result of that file system errors were occurring leading to loss of pictures. Erasing all the images from a card would reduce the opportunity for file system errors to arise.
One hopes that the file management software in the cameras has improved over time.

However I always format the cards in the camera after copying the images to the computer. The time to format is not detectably different from the erase time. (I also save a word processor document after each sentence - I have spent too long a period working with beta level software to trust computers)