PDA

View Full Version : Image Stabilization Test

Invicta
9th July 2009, 07:45 PM
Interesting Image Stabilization Test over at slrgear.com

http://www.slrgear.com/articles/is_olympuse520/IS_Test_Olympus_E-520_SLR_Body.htm

Overall a positive feedback on the Oly IS system. *chr

The bottom line on the Olympus E-520's IS system is that it turned in a superb performance, very much on par with the best lens-based IS systems we've looked at.

Jim Ford
9th July 2009, 08:00 PM
Traditionally, lens manufacturers have taken great pains to ensure that all elements of a lens are accurately aligned, and all on the same optical axis, to ensure optimum performance. If you then jiggle one (or more) of these elements around for image stabilisation, it must surely compromise the optical performance of the lens.

Jim

Archphoto
9th July 2009, 09:29 PM
You have a good point there, John, a point that is forgotten most of the time in the discusion between IS in body or lens.

Other advantages: we don't have to buy IS with each lens and the lenses can be lighter because the parts for the IS are allready in the body.

I have the E520 for about 7 month now and have done a lot of shooting interiors with the wide's and the IS helped me in getting the shots I would not have gotten with a tripod under the camera, like having a piece of a chair or table in the picture and without having to move furnuture around all the time.

Peter:D

oly_om
9th July 2009, 10:48 PM
Interesting when they say the E-520 is as good as the best lens-based system. The E-3 system (also in the E-30) is meant to be even better (1 stop better)!

Andy