PDA

View Full Version : Focussing Problem

JackBenedict
9th July 2009, 06:47 PM
Hello All - I have a problem getting the fine focus required when I switch my E510 to manual. Probably an aged eyesight problem.

Does anyone know of a replacement screen available for The E510 similar to the old pentraprisms that you used to get spot on focus. My old Pentax had the split prism and it was brilliant. When the two prism came together you knew you had absolute focus.

If anyone has any suggestions or indeed know ( if such a thing exists ) where I can buy such an item and even better if you have actually bought one, what results you got with it.

many thanks

mike_j
9th July 2009, 07:44 PM
Doesn't the 510 have a zoom function for manual focusing? I use manual focus almost exclusively on my Panasonic G1 because I only have the one autofocus lens and now instintively switch to zoom for pinpoint focus before pressing the button. In one way it's a lot easier on the G1 because the electronic viewfinder means that you see through the viewfinder almost everything that you can see on the lcd, including menus, histogram and previous pics.

Some people claim you can see the equivalent of the old microprism screen shimmer on screen to help focusing but I can't say I have eve seen this.

peak4
9th July 2009, 07:52 PM
Jack, I don't have one myself, but the best seem to come from the other side of the pond (http://www.katzeyeoptics.com/item--Olympus-E-510-520-Focusing-Screen--prod_E510.html)
There are several on ebay, which certainly are not as good, but are a lot cheaper. It might be worth trying one of those to see how you get on before shelling out a lot for one of the KatzEye ones.

snaarman
9th July 2009, 08:56 PM
Yes, absolutely, the Katzeye split screen can be a help, however you do need to set the eyepiece diopter absolutely correctly or else the split image bit can lead you astray..

I remember my days with better eyesight combined with my Nikon FE2 (aaah..) and it all seems so much more difficult with the smaller E series viewfinder. Personally I have given up focussing my E510 manually with anything shorter than 50mm - for that I would use the live view (plus my reading glasses!)

Hope this helps :)

Pete

JackBenedict
10th July 2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks Guys for all your suggestions. I thought the Katseye was a bit expensive but maybe that's the way I will have to go.