PDA

View Full Version : 14-54mm for e-620?

j.d
8th July 2009, 09:02 PM
I am in the lucky position of qualifying for a long service award at work, and I've chosen an E-620. *chr

The dosh available only runs to the camera body, but that's ok because I can use the lenses from my E-500 (14-45mm, 40-150mm & 50mm macro). Most of my shots are wide angle (landscape and architecture) so I was wondering if it was worth saving up and replacing the 14-45 with a 14-54mm. I have read the wrotniak comparison but I wonder if the differences between the two lenses may be more pronounced with the E-620?

Graham_of_Rainham
8th July 2009, 10:58 PM
I appreciate that this is stating the obvious (but I'm good at that :rolleyes:) The extra light transmission throughout the range will be the most noticable feature, followed by the extra range.

Less noticable will be the improvement in image quality of the 14-54, as the 14-45 is a good lens. The extra resolution of the 620 will only start to show if you print larger than A4 or crop lots from the image. If you only view full images on a monitor (1024x768) you will not see any difference.

Of mine, the one that gets the most use is the 14-54 which I believe out performs the 12-60 for my needs, which is working wide open at the wider angles.

Also: Welcome to the Forum

nerdet
9th July 2009, 05:59 AM
My suggestion is that you buy the 9-18 mm lens instead and get more wide angle, since you mostly shoot landscape and wide angle shots. I think that lens would be appropriate to complement the serie of lenses you already have.
That would make you go even wider at your landscape shots.
It's a big difference between 14 mm and 9 mm.

theMusicMan
9th July 2009, 06:58 AM
I agree with nerdet - either go for the Oly 9-18mm, or the Oly 11-22mm.

I have the 14-54mm and I have to agree it is a superb piece of glass; very sharp, bright, and superb for the portrait shots I take often. My lad was using it last night when we went out for a walk, and he liked it very much too.

Having said that, you have the 14-45mm kit lens, which - of kit lenses - is up there with the best of them, and so the extra 9mm at the zoom end may not give you much more than you have now except speed (faster glass).

The 9-18mm and 11-22mm lenses are excellent, with the 11-22mm edging in IQ.

StephenL
9th July 2009, 09:00 AM
Going by what you said your interest are, I would go for the 9-18 (unless you can stretch to the 7-14!). It's a good piece of glass with a useful focal length range.

Archphoto
9th July 2009, 10:18 AM
I would go for the 9-18mm too, unless you have enough for the 7-14mm.
Mind you, the 7-14mm is a heavy lens, you will need a bit of will-power to take that lens with you all the time, the 9-18mm is a lot lighter.
Still love the 7-14mm though.

There are a couple of comparissing photo's here about the diference in angle of vieuw between the 7mm, the 9mm and the 11mm on my gallery.

Peter

EH1
9th July 2009, 11:33 AM
Welcome! From what you have said I don`t think the 14-54mm is going to make much difference for you, don`t get me wrong it`s a superb lens (which I have glued to my camera most of the time) but it does sound like you would be far better off buying a wide angle lens, like the 9-18mm.;)

j.d
9th July 2009, 07:23 PM
Thanks for the advice folks.

The 9-18mm is a good price but it doesn't seem very fast (f4-5.6). Also it doesn't have a distance scale so hyperfocal distancing would be tricky. I suspect the 7-14mm will remain out of my price range though the 11-22 might just sneak in if the exchange rate with the yen improves a bit.

Then again this week's lottery ticket may be the one...:)

theMusicMan
9th July 2009, 07:25 PM
Thanks for the advice folks.

The 9-18mm is a good price but it doesn't seem very fast (f4-5.6). Also it doesn't have a distance scale so hyperfocal distancing would be tricky. I suspect the 7-14mm will remain out of my price range though the 11-22 might just sneak in if the exchange rate with the yen improves a bit.

Then again this week's lottery ticket may be the one...:)
For the price though JD, the 9-18mm is excellent and is 100% my next purchase (unless I win on the lottery, in which case I'll be getting a ????) :)