PDA

View Full Version : Lens Advice

iMac
7th July 2009, 10:14 PM
Well I have been doing some thinking on moving up to a HG lens, now I was looking at the 14-54 MkI however I'm thinking the 12-60 would be a better choice, but it's just too much money at this time.

I can't justify spending twice the $$ on the 12-60, it's almost exactly to the dollar twice as much as I can buy a new 14-54 MkI for, and actually the 12-60 is the price of a E-30 body here in Canada.

I have had the E-510 for a year now and I still like the camera so I think the 14-54 would be a better fit and then maybe buy a E-30 & 12-60 kit in 6 months to a year when it drops in price some.

Is my though process all wrong or am I on the right track.

Graham_of_Rainham
7th July 2009, 10:37 PM
I actually prefer the 14-54 because the light transmission through the 12-60 falls off quicker with zooming to the longer focal length than the 14-54.

Any zoom with a 5x range will also have more "compromise" in its design than one with less. The Top Pro zooms have a range less than 3x to avoid this.

Then of course there is the simple economics to consider, but that's for each of us to argue with our better half...:D

*chr

iMac
7th July 2009, 10:52 PM
Any zoom with a 5x range will also have more "compromise" in its design than one with less. The Top Pro zooms have a range less than 3x to avoid this.

You know Graham that's a good point, that I never really though of and makes good sense. I don't think there is much difference in the 14-54 MkI or MkII at lest I don't think there is $200 + dollars difference.

Then of course there is the simple economics to consider, but that's for each of us to argue with our better half...:D
*chr

Yeah this is another issue we all have to deal with a one point in our toy shopping as they would like to call it.*chr

jonesy
8th July 2009, 06:02 AM
Sorry to jump on this thread, but what is the difference between the 14-54Mk1 and Mk2 lenses?

Yeah this is another issue we all have to deal with a one point in our toy shopping as they would like to call it.*chr:D I'm quite lucky there, my hubby bought my "toys" for me. (but then he does borrow the stuff whenever he feels like it!)

PaulE
8th July 2009, 08:20 AM
Mk1 and Mk2 are apparently optically identical however the Mk2 was released to include a circular aperture - to produce smoother bokeh, although I've yet to see a shot from my Mk1 that I could say would definitely benefit from a cicular aperture. The second difference is that the Mk2 are able to make use of the contrast detection auto focus used in the new E-system cameras and the EP1. If you plan on ever having to use live view on the E420 onwards or more importantly if you plan on one day getting the EP1 or other planned Pen camera and want to use the 14-54 on it and have autofocus then you'll need / want the Mk 2.

I've also read that the apertures for given focal lengths are slightly different between the two lenses but can't remember which way around it was. Both lenses obviously start at F2.8 at the short end and get to F3.5 on the long end but one lens apparently has a slightly faster aperture for a given focal length between the extreme ends of the lens - again can't quite remember the values but I remember thinking it was such a tiny difference that it wouldn't make any real life difference anyway. Perhaps someone with both M1 and Mk2 lenses will be able to clarify this...