PDA

View Full Version : Filter effects

jonesy
7th July 2009, 07:19 PM
Hi everyone.

Another "silly" question from me.

Years ago I used to have some star filters (4 point, 6 point and I think a variable point) I'm just starting to look at using software to "enhance" my images and wondered whether any software did this effect, or would I still need to buy filters? (Roll on October when I start my OU course in Digital Photography ;) )

Many thanks in advance

gno
7th July 2009, 09:31 PM
Hi Tracey,

Try searching for "Photoshop star filter tutorials" (http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=photoshop+star+filter+tutorials+&btnG=Search&meta=) there are quite a few to get you started.
Regards

Gavin

photo_owl
7th July 2009, 10:15 PM
not a silly question at all

personally I think the physical filter works best in this application, as with CPLs.

however, as has been highlighted already, there are photoshop solutions

jonesy
8th July 2009, 05:43 AM
Thank you both for your replies. I'm looking into the software option now... and I'll start looking into the physical filters this evening.

theMusicMan
8th July 2009, 06:39 AM
Hey Tracey - be sure to post some results yeah. I have ever worked with star filters to be honest, and I consider there effect quite profound, but there certainly are instances where there effective use can enhance an image.

jonesy
8th July 2009, 07:01 AM
I will do. But you will have to understand my picture taking is nowhere near the standard of the people here :) But I will do my best :)

theMusicMan
8th July 2009, 07:05 AM
Hey Tracey, I really wouldn't worry about that, we are all still learning, everyone here is. Nobody will not want to see your images. (sorry about the double negative there!!)