PDA

View Full Version : Specs in the viewfinder?

michaelavis
6th July 2009, 07:34 AM
I have a couple of little black flecs in the view finder that are nothing to do with lenses and I don't think its on the sensor. They appear to be on the surface of the focusing screen as they are in focus. I've put the camera into cleaning mode and given it a "blow" but nothing has moved. I don't want to do any more or touch any surfaces without knowing what I'm doing. Anybody seen this before or has a good idea what it is?

donmcmahan
6th July 2009, 08:49 AM
If they are in sharp focus they are definitely on an image plain, if they don't show up in your pictures they are not on the sensor, that almost guarantees that they are on the focusing screen, putting it in cleaning mode doesn't give access to the focusing screen. you can blow off the bottom surface of the screen with the lens removed but not in cleaning mode. if they are(most likely) on top of the screen you need a highly paid professional to clean it or learn to ignore them, I would go for the latter*chr

snaarman
6th July 2009, 09:12 AM
I agree. If they are on the screen they will probably drive you mad, but not appear on the images. I have had the same and they are really annoying.

However if you try to blow or brush them off there is a real chance you will make it worse. I know - I did it myself.

Pete

michaelavis
6th July 2009, 09:55 AM
Yep, they are driving me mad and yep I had a go at cleaning the outer surface of the focussing plane and yep, I think I made it worse!!:mad:

Is this supposed to happen for a camera that's "dustproof" and "splashproof" ?

donmcmahan
6th July 2009, 10:16 AM
I was an optical instrument repair technician in the US Navy for 20 years and I can assure you there is no such thing as "dust proof" it is safe enough to say that the E-3 is dust resistant as long as you never change the lens.*yes

Archphoto
6th July 2009, 11:06 AM
If the specs are on the focusing screen side that you can access, use a clean, very soft brush to wipe them off. I use a womens make-up brush for it, works good, if it is anywere else you will have to live with it or spend money on it and send the camera to Olymus for a clean.

Peter

EH1
6th July 2009, 11:30 AM
You need to get yourself a can of compressed air & blast them off!;)

andym
6th July 2009, 11:41 AM
If the specks are in focus they are on the inside of the focus screen or on the pentaprism.
I had the same problem and you are right it does drive you mad.
I took the bull by the horns and removed the focus screen and cleaned it.
I known the manual says its its not possible by the user but it is,a bit fiddly and you have to be very careful.

Shame it's not like the E1 which has a user changeable screen and is a piece of cake.

oly_om
6th July 2009, 12:13 PM
Unless it is very annoying - the best thing is to LEAVE WELL ALONE - the ground screen is easily damaged (but then only about 10 to replace), but the underside of the pentaprism is also very easy to scratch and you will be looking at a 300 to replace it. Take it from someone who has made this particular error...

Andy

Wreckdiver
6th July 2009, 12:45 PM
You need to get yourself a can of compressed air & blast them off!;)

A definite NO NO this *nono

Cans of compressed air also emit small amounts of water and because of the pressure will freeze when released. This will make a right mess of the screen and possibly damage it.

Steve

Westy
7th July 2009, 01:39 PM
This seems to be an issue with the E3 my E1 has never shown any dust. I emailed Olympus and explained to them the problem I had on my E3 and they cleaned and checked the camera under warranty. Although when it came back it wasnt totally spotless.

Wreckdiver
7th July 2009, 03:07 PM
This seems to be an issue with the E3 my E1 has never shown any dust. I emailed Olympus and explained to them the problem I had on my E3 and they cleaned and checked the camera under warranty. Although when it came back it wasnt totally spotless.

Opposite with me. Not had any dirt on my E-3 screen but loads on my E-1.

Steve

EH1
7th July 2009, 03:49 PM
Well I`ve often used compressed air on my E-3`s & its always worked fine!*yes

Wreckdiver
7th July 2009, 04:31 PM
Well I`ve often used compressed air on my E-3`s & its always worked fine!*yes

Until the jet blows the specs (or other foreign bodies) into more sensitive parts of the camera. The force from those cans is quite powerful.

I have used these compressed air cans in the electronic service industry for over 25 years and I am careful as to where I use them.

Steve

michaelavis
8th July 2009, 09:30 AM
My specs/dirt are definitely on the inside of the focus plane (the more I look there's definitely more than a couple) so I'd love to remove it and clean it but I think I'd better not. The camera is in warranty until september I think so I'll contact olympus. Trouble is there's never a good time to send it away is there? certainly not with summer holidays coming up and then the field sports season starting soon after - maybe there's just enough time in that window, but I can imagine the frustration I'd feel if my camera is away when my son or daughter trot out for their first rugby or hockey match of a new season :mad:

donmcmahan
8th July 2009, 12:44 PM
Might be time to think about the back-up camera, time to dust it off if you have one, or think about buying one if you don't, there are a couple of E-1s going on ebay now.

michaelavis
8th July 2009, 02:40 PM
yes, maybe, I'd thought about getting an E510/520 for that reason in the past, (I should never have sold the E520 that I had before the E-3) but I guess an E-1 is weather proof?

David M
8th July 2009, 09:15 PM
It could be worse, you could have mites crawling across the focussing screen.

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4481

Although I've not seen one since last Saturday.

michaelavis
10th July 2009, 09:15 PM
Big lesson learnt. Don't mess with the inside of a camera unless you are 100% sure you know what you are doing. My fiddling made my original problem worse and my conclusion is that even the relatively gentle blow of a small-size Giottos Rocket-Air can blow particles up beyond the underside of the pentaprism.

After 3 hours in the expert hands of Luton Camera Repairs today (who were great), my E-3 is 99% perfect again. It has been thoroughly cleaned, sensor, mirrors, new ground screen (I managed to touch it on its face and mark it) and as much of the pentaprism assembly they could get to by taking the top of the camera off, which is the bit that took most of the time. Now there are just 3 very small particles in the viewfinder, all of them near the edges. I can live with that versus the 200 it would cost to replace it.

Knowing what I know now, I could have gently cleaned the ground screen and even removed it to clean its inside and also the underside of the prism, but I would have been way more gentle and used the air blower way more sparingly, if at all. Better still, I could have taken it to Luton who could have done that properly in 30 minutes. Live and learn.

Archphoto
10th July 2009, 09:54 PM
Sorry to hear that ! It is a lot of money.....

Unfornately modern DSLR are so densely build that a complete operation is needed to get at a place like the penta prism and the viewfinder part of it.

So please, next time JUST use a soft brush to get rid of dust spec's ......
and be carefull when ever you take your lens off for a change.
That was a rule 20 or 30 years ago and is still valid today.

Peter

michaelavis
10th July 2009, 11:01 PM
Absolutely. Luton Camera Repairs charged me 75 + VAT to do that work including the new screen. Like I say, it took 3 hours and they were kind enough to do it while I waited to save me the trip back and forth to Luton next week. Their estimate was actually higher than what they charged me, but because they couldn't get to every single little spec, they charged me less.

No doubt plenty of people on this forum are familiar with them, but I was really impressed, its a great little shop full of Oly gear old and new and they're nice guys, know their stuff and are very fair.

michaelavis
10th July 2009, 11:12 PM
That's not nice at all!! :eek: Lets hope they stay away!

It could be worse, you could have mites crawling across the focussing screen.

http://fourthirds-user.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4481

Although I've not seen one since last Saturday.

oly_om
11th July 2009, 06:56 AM
Absolutely. Luton Camera Repairs charged me 75 + VAT to do that work including the new screen. Like I say, it took 3 hours and they were kind enough to do it while I waited to save me the trip back and forth to Luton next week. Their estimate was actually higher than what they charged me, but because they couldn't get to every single little spec, they charged me less.

No doubt plenty of people on this forum are familiar with them, but I was really impressed, its a great little shop full of Oly gear old and new and they're nice guys, know their stuff and are very fair.

+1 to that, they are great guys!