PDA

View Full Version : Memory cards

jonesy
5th July 2009, 09:07 PM
Hi

Just a quick enquiry as to what type of memory cards everyone is using :)

I've been looking to buy an Xd type M+. Do many of you use them?
Is the panorama feature worth having?

I'm hoping to go on a trip to New York in the next month or so (and maybe pick up a lens while I'm there :D) Looking at the images google finds, I think I'm going to need a decent way to produce panoramic shots.

As always, thanks in advance for any advice and guidance

snaarman
5th July 2009, 09:16 PM
You will probably find everyone uses Compact Flash as it is faster and cheaper.

I do keep an Xd in the camera as well - just in case I fill the CF card.

Pete

crimbo
5th July 2009, 09:18 PM
You will probably find everyone uses Compact Flash as it is faster and cheaper.

I do keep an Xd in the camera as well - just in case I fill the CF card.

Pete

ditto......

EH1
5th July 2009, 09:36 PM
After using XD Cards for years I recently swapped to using lexar CF cards as the speed of the cards are much better!;)

Jim Ford
5th July 2009, 09:50 PM
7dayshop have cards at good prices. Typically:

http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=777_6&products_id=102026

I've been using these for some time in my E3 and they're great!

Jim

Archphoto
5th July 2009, 10:16 PM
I use Sandisks CF and the XD is for back-up in case I run out of space, but I rather would have 2 CF slots in my Oly's.

The use of the xD card for panorama's: there are a couple of programs that can do that from any set of jpeg's: you don't need Oly for that.

Peter

Dogcow
6th July 2009, 04:33 AM
Same here. Xd is fall back in case my CF is full. And you get far better results by using dedicated Panorama software (or Photoshop).

jonesy
6th July 2009, 05:55 AM
Thanks eveyone. I currently use a CF card but was looking to get a couple of other cards as backup (I've only got the one card at the moment) I think for a trip of this much potential photographic material I ought to buy more than one "spare" card :)

Jim, thanks for the link, its where I was already looking to buy from.

Dogcow, I've never done panorama before, I wouldnt know how/where to start, which is the reason I asked about the card, although I'm always more than willing to learn :)

Dogcow
6th July 2009, 06:14 AM
Actually the best thing to start is just trying... :)
But to get the best results just keep a few things in mind:

Always use manual exposure, focus and white balance to ensure all your shots for the pano have the same color and exposure.

Make sure you get enough overlap between the frames.

To minimize parallax errors try to find the nodal point of your camera/lens combination (which is usually somewhere under the lens) and with some practise you can rotate the camera around this point by hand.
There are tons of tutorials on the internet how to do this. But for normal landscape panoramas: keep it simple.

Keep your camera level at all times (preferably use a sprit level).